Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nope, no assists. Just those two late goals in their 3-0 win over Romania.

It's Xavi Simons who's been getting the assists, with 3 so far. Then Gakpo, Depay, Weghorst with 1 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well every time I've seen him he's impressed me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

And according to the statistics shown, he’s the 5th best player at the tournament. It’s a weird statistic.

You’d think a midfielder who’s the 5th best player at the Euros would be doing more than winning the ball back.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I agree with this. Rhodri in particular is some player

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

You’d think a midfielder who’s the 5th best player at the Euros would be doing more than winning the ball back.

No. I don't. It's a pretty important part of the job and his main job for England. I think you're completely downplaying it.

I’m not downplaying it. I’m questioning the statistic.

If I was to create a measure for a midfielder it would include: pass accuracy, dribbles completed, tackles/duals won, chances created, goals scored and interceptions.

I’d expect the 5th best player in a tournament to be high for all of those things.

All of the great no.6s had all of the above in their lockers. These days people are happy with a midfielder who wins the ball back and passes it sideways. It’s killing football IMO.

they/them/theirs

Then there's the stuff without the ball like cutting off passing lanes or making a run to take players with you and open it up for somebody else. They will never get appreciation in stats.

For a DM, I dunno why you'd rate them on dribbles completed, goals scored, or chances created. Its not their primary focus. I certainly don't need him dribbling.

I don't want my DM dribbling. I don't want my DM getting particularly forward. His job is to sit back and protect the back 3/4.

I’m questioning the statistic

The statistic is a measure of datapoints. You're really questioning the algorithm behind it but its going to be general. It's silly to compare a RB to a ST but this table does it.

After a poor start in the groups, Rice has been decent this tournament. Can't pin anything England doing wrong on him really.

“For a DM, I dunno why you'd rate them on dribbles completed, goals scored, or chances created. Its not their primary focus. I certainly don't need him dribbling.

I don't want my DM dribbling. I don't want my DM getting particularly forward. His job is to sit back and protect the back 3/4.”

This is exactly what I don’t like. The great players who play the position do it all. Just having an extra defender kills the creativity of a team. England play 2 of them, which kills it further.

I want my DM to set the pace of the game, be an excellent passer and have the ability to dribble when the game opens up a little. Rhodri actually does all of this now as well as win the ball back.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

My favourite/best players

GK: Mamardashvili (GEO), DEF: Calafiori (ITA), MID: Kroos (GER), STR: Gakpo (NED)

Best teams are Spain, Germany and Austria, where its teamwork that probably has no one player standing out, to me anyway (bar Toni).

Disappointments: England, France, Belgium. All seemed to be less than the sum of their parts (yet two still in this!!)

Rice isn't a "great player". Nobody in this conversation is claiming he is. He is doing his job and doing it very well this tournament. He's palying well in his position. That's going to come across in the statistics. You want to use metrics from outside of what someone would expect from a DM. I want my DM to protect the back 3/4.Anything beyond that is gravy. Creativity can come from Foden and Bellingham.

There are not many great players playing well this tournament. That's why Rice is so high. Its not a function solely based on Rice, its dependent on who else is doing their respective jobs well, of which, many are not.

Rodri is a great player and can do a lot more than Rice. He also is in a system that gets the best out of him unlike Rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Rodri doesn't play in a system, Rodri is the system!

Rodri could well end up being the best DM of the last 25 years. Busquets currently holds the title but if Rodri keeps going for another few years like he is, then there will be a serious debate going on.

Rice isn’t a great player. Agreed. Yet this opta analysis has him as the 5th best player at the tournament. Can we therefore agree that it’s flawed and move on?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No Guller in the list? It is an odd tournament in that it seems to be the very young players adding the spark. Lamal as well.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Navas and Nacho both start for Spain. The Right side of that defence definitely looks vulnerable.

Hope I’m wrong….but have a feeling France will have enough to win tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Griezman left out for France is a surprise. Hoping for a Spain win. Will be very close I imagine. France have not been exciting to watch, but they’ll be hard to beat.

Tne biggest questions are all relating to France. Firstly did the election have a big impact on the French performance to this point?

How do they react now? Is is a weight off their shoulders or a huge weight feeling the only way to pay back the French people for voting the way they wanted is winning the Euros?

It's hard to know how they'll respond.

I.yhink.thru have to score, I do t think you can keep Spain scoreless for 90 minutes.

Who wins the midfield battle Kante or Rodri. Theo Vs Yasmine, Williams Vs Kounde. Dies the Spanish false 9 mess with the French centre backs.

And then the one France expect to win big, that's Mbappe Vs Navas. Cucurella Vs Dembele will be a good style too.

I'm really looking forward to it. I think it could be a very tough game, lots of fouls. They don't like each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's not been playing well, and they've been tinkering with the formation, so I get it as something to try. They started the tournament with 2 CM's, Griezmann at AM, and 3 forwards. Then they tried having one less forward, and had Griezmann behind two forwards to get an extra midfielder in. Now they're trying an extra midfielder with 3 speedy forwards without the AM. They've been poor so far, but it's good to see they're actively tinkering to try to add more edge to the attack.

Good option off the bench anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What's with the booing of national anthems? It seems to be coming more and more common. Both the French and Spanish national anthems were booked before the start of tonight's match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Dont like that Frence jersey at all, I keep thinking they are going to play baseball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

come on ruiz, gotta hit the net with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Thats a shocking miss - he barely got off the ground there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, should have scored. Good start to the game.

edit. And France take a similar chance.

1-0 france. kolo muani eventually scores

Lovely ball from Mbappe there

That's poor from Spain's point of view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mbappe's pace has Navas bricking it and plays him onside by a mile - very poor defending.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Terrible defending for the cross, Navas was terrified of Mbappe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Trampas

cucurella just looking at him.

surprised Spain haven’t got anyone else

any ideas why cucurella is getting booed so much? i would understand if it was laporte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Germans in the stadium I assume. The not given handball and all. Fans are like children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I’m up for Spain but it’s probably a good thing for the game to have an early goal…..forces Spain to go for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Some drop off in quality from Carvajal to Navas on the in-game evidence so far

navas booked now. he will be in for a torrid time this evening.

What were they thinking playing Navas. It's looking like an absolute howler of a decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Surely Pedro Porro would be a better option than Navas at rb

• Advertisement

Don't think they have another RB. Carvajal suspended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Curran on RTE has said the booing of Cucurella is from German fans over the ‘no peno’😁

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Was thinking the same myself.

BBC have just said something to do with a handball against Germany in the 1/4 final? Seemingly loads have tickets.

Side note. Navas with 80 minutes left marking mbappe while on a yellow. Feels like it was 10 years ago when he left man city and was in his 30s then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Also explains why the atmosphere is so flat, seems to be mostly Germans there.

I knew Navas was a weakness but they need to get him off fast. Vivian is a centre back but he's right footed as has a bit of pace about him. Navas will get sent off, he can't help himself, he's going to foul Mbappe.

Wow!!

• Advertisement

1-1, yamal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a special special goal.

Best goal of the Euros

This kid is special, really really special

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pick that out.

Youngest ever scorer in the Euro's

Wow! Wow! Wow! What a goal by Yamal. Top left hand corner.

Lamine magic!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement