Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2024 - this time it’s personal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Carapaz for the KOM jersey could be a good shout now that he’s lost a lot of time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I still fancy Vingo for GC, like the previous two years he gets stronger as the race goes on.

Obviously been off the bike for so long will weaken him but i still think he will have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Why have the smaller teams given up on breakaways on flat stages this year? Granted it is a thankless task but it would at least make the day slightly more entertaining.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Stage 10 result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Was a weirdly laboured looking sprint.

Was it a false flat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Philipsen

ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Well at least Sam is in the top 6-- I think his team are about as good as they are and Naesen has done huge work in the face of armchair critique; he is not at the same level as before so this result is as good as it gets. I noticed Degenkolb sprinting there too, so it suggests that Jakobsen is not up to much, even worse than SB. None of this can be easy when there is so much expectation to perform

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

good positioning by Sam today. Just beaten by faster men on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Was gonna say Girmay pushed Sam out of the draft fairly easily there but he'd already dropped off the wheel at that stage.

Form just isn't there.

• Advertisement

If this is a true reflection of Jasper and VdP's form then I think they will blitz everyone from here on in. Girmay isn't a truly top level sprinter and everyone else is in a similar funk to Bennett.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Perfect summary, Sam needs a few things to fall his way to win at this level these days. He’ll win a smaller races here & there with current legs so all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I actually looked ahead, there are loads left. I thought there were feck all. There’s enough for Jasper to take Green

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And also, he should have a proper look at the cobbles next spring!

From the look of it this year there is Philipsen, Merlier and maybe Milan. Then a gap. And everybody else. If Cav can win a sprint here so can Sam. But he will need a bit of luck for it.

But I am ever an optimist.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

My thoughts too, if Cav can win a stage surely Sam can win one too. I very confident he'll get a win before they get to Nice.

Philipsen gained 22 points on Grmay today. I don’t see him gaining 74 on the rest of the tour when they’re the only two trying for the intermediates (and breaks will happen more now)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Surely theres plenty of intermediate stages where grmay will get over in a break and pick up points and phillipsen will not? Would like to see him win it out

• Advertisement

If Grmay is jumping into a break, Philipsen will be glued to him

Intermarche sent people up the road today to take points ahead of the group but it’s likely that they won’t have another slow day like today for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Stage 12, 13 and 16 are the flat stages left; as to who will survive the climbs on other stages to contest the intermediate sprints, Girmay is by far the most likely of them all. He will won green comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭andyd12

Is it just me or is this an easier than normal tour? Loads of flat stages… personally I think the sprinting is very over hyped.

More stages which would allow the likes of WvA, MvDP, Mohoric, Laporte, Bettiol etc to get up the road would be better imo

Compared to very recent years it I believe has more sprints and also flat TT kilometres.

But the norm was always to have an almost entirely flat first week and then a few transition stages plus Paris.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Stage 13 is technically a sprint stage but there are numberous opportunities for attacks in the final 50k. Of course the profile on PCS could be misleading as it sometimes is but I would back a non-sprinter to win that stage.

Tomorrows stage, stage 17 and 18 are Ben's opportunities I think all assuming a break wins them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's fun until the last week, there's five brutal stages and two difficult hilly stages in the last eight days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In recent years - 90's generally was a prologue and then a week of sprint stages. And then lots of transitional stages between the mountains (ffs I'm fecking old).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For old times sake, they should do a throwback 90s itinerary :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Looks like it is going to be a busy morning of break formation. Sprinters are in for a rough day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mountain stage breakaway formations, the best part of any stage.

Advertisement