Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romance scams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Obviously because I regard them with contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cathodrays

Depends.

I don't want to bring up gender stereotypes, but I know many guys who would fit the "**** anything that moves within reason". A woman in her late 40s being pursued by guys in their early-20s isn't that hard to believe compared to the other way round. Obviously, the majority of guys who dated a much older woman probably don't want more than sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Love, Janessa is an excellent podcast series about a single woman’s photos that have been used globally to scam countless people for, probably conservatively, hundreds of millions.
    Also look up Pig Butchering scams. People have married and signed over their houses to these scammers.

The scammers usually wait a year before ever asking for money. And when they do, they pay it back the first few times to establish trust.
    It’s even scarier now with the rise of AI. The old, ‘I can’t talk on the phone right now’ or ‘my camera is broken so you can’t see me’ don’t need to be used anymore. Ai can generate images and mimic voices. People can essentially work in shifts to scam the same person.
    There was a story on the IT recently about a lady who had given hundreds of thousands to scammers and married one, she cut off contact with her family when they tried to help her see she was being scammed. Must dig that one up for the thread actually.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You're right of course, but the guys buying the bathwater were buying into an idea rather than buying some water in a jar. It comes from the same place as guys buying stuff for a camgirl or being scammed by someone online. They've bought into a fantasy and aren't thinking logically about any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I would never victim blame generally but whilst I can sort of understand people - women usually, but not exclusively - talking to someone online, mortgaging your house and sending hundreds of thousands to someone you have never even spoken to is nuts!

I'm on Facebook and I got one of these the other day "my beautiful Squirrels, I absolutely had to reach out to you as your profile picture took my breath away and made my heart sing, I must get to know you better dear heart!!"

My photo is my dog. She says thanks but no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

All this digs into a primal and very deep rooted need many of us have for attachment, and when we don't have it we're likely to jump at perceived chances for int, even fictional ones. This is why so many otherwise intelligent people might fall for scams like this.

In the past months I've been scambaiting "Big-butchering" romance scammers on Skype. Skype doesn't need ID varification, so they've been using Skype profiles. I like scambaiting these in particular becuase the current wave of them appear to be doing their messaging manually. This means I get to directly waste their time on me, instead of messing about with some boring chatbot.

The pattern is easy to spot.

• They'll request a Transated conversation (which is tragically stupid when they pretend to be an English speaker) usually because they're Chinese scammers based in Cambodia or another nearby land. Their English is crap, and to mess with them I'll switch this feature off on my end intermittedly.
    • They'll send basic greeting or platitude. If you reply to them at all, they will then give you a mini (fake) bio of themselves as well as photos of some attaractive typically North American woman who they managed to scrape of the internet (or I guess AI generated in some cases)
    • They'll start to address you very quickly with endearing phrases like "Dear".
    • They will then attempt to get your photo (which you should never send) and proceed to get you on the hook.
    • Eventually, they will ask for money. The current tactic I've seen is that they need "credit to keep their internet access going". Thus you'll get the typical request for Google Gift cards and the like.

When I've got one of them hooked, I'll play along with the scam but in a way that makes it all that more difficult for them. It's a tricky balance of not calling them right out (then they'll just block you) but also making it seem like it's worth all of the hassle for a payoff.

Usually I'll give them a hard time for trying to use Skype as a dating site, and give them an even harder time for trying to use endearing phrases with me. This is mostly to eat at their own energy for doing this, but also for my own amusement. My goal is to get them to actually request money / giftcards. Once we get there I can flag that request and forward the whole chat to get the account blocked.

Normally one account being blocked isn't all that big a deal to these people, but I have noticed sizable delays in message replys with the accounts are online. My guess is that one account will attempt to scam dozens of people at once. Blocking one account could wreck a huge amount of work and really ruin a scammer's day.

I have kind of stopped doing this lately due the Skype admins being feckless. I had forwarded blatant scammers to them and they couldn't see the problem. The scammer accounts remained open and I fear that Skype might be using mod-bots to screen these cases now instead of actually reviewing them.

As much as I enjoy messing with them, I would like to see the day when this kind of thing is extinct and we find better ways to help with lonelyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

As much as I enjoy messing with them, I would like to see the day when this kind of thing is extinct and we find better ways to help with lonelyness.

I was getting to thinking that was a lot of work for eh..fun. I agree though, there's definitely more and better ways to beat lonliness.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

The Man With 1000 Kids is on Netflix...sperm donor guy...terrible but it's gas when they keep cutting to his vblog videos 🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

The gas (more mind boggling really but still gas) part for me was:

Him offering natural insemination.

Then the amount of women who agreed to it 😳.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

This might be relevant although I haven't watched all of it, I'm not a man so it didn't speak to me personally although I enjoy DOAC stuff generally

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Just proves what a wise boardsie said years ago now, may have been @Atlantic Dawn, old wans looking for pipe often get taken for thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It’s a sign you have more money than sense

I think better of people. Only a small percentage would take advantage of a vulnerable person. Any person who respects themselves as a human being wouldn't do it. It's not in their nature.

But I agree. In your world it is very likely the same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I wonder if there is much different in type between the men and women who are scamed.

The Impression I get it is the men who are scamed are fantastics and or lonely and the women who are scamed have mental health issues or personality disorders.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Andrew Tate seems to have done well from a certain demographic.

• Advertisement

The fact that men are [sic] fantastic and women have mental disorders probably has a lot to do with it alright.

Its interesting that there seems to be a belief that it only happens to women? When lots of men he save been scammed as well.

Something to do with misogyny maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

There was also a BBC programme on where someone who was actually scammed but didn’t believe it was shown proof of the scam and that her “lover” whom she never met, was just a con artist.

I would say whilst this example is in the extreme, it shows just how taken in some people can be- a single woman in her 50s onwards looking for “love” on the internet is their prime target - they’re potentially someone who hasn’t heard a kind word towards her in many years- the scammers know the heart strings to pull

All the data that I can find suggests men are more likely victims of romance fraud although women were more likely to lose more financially.

Overall, there were 42 per cent more cases of romance scams reported by men in 2023 compared to women. And of the total romance scam cases involving men, nearly two in five (39%) involved those aged 50-70 years old, compared to 45 per cent of women. 

It seems to be on the increase also. The video in the link suggests that men are their main victims and targetted specifically.

I just found it funny that in these situations men are described as harmless and vulnerable whereas women, in the same predicament are described as having personality disorders and being mentally unstable. It's a common trope which continues to denigrate women.

A fantastic is hardly harmless there is something going for both men and women who get scammed like that it's very hard to pin point the exact causes.

I know you mean fantasist and I understand the nature of lonliness, the point I'm making is that generally women are considered mentally ill when men, suffering from the same conditions are described as lonley and vulnerable. It's often the root cause of the lack of mental health care in men, while women occupy half the psych beds in the country.

I agree though, I think it's easy to tar everyone with the same brush when there could be any number of reasons why people get taken or scammed. The video I linked above talks more concisely about relationship needs especially with respect to men and I think a lot of it applys to these kinds of scenarios.

Maybe one day you’ll step into the real world and realise that people are not like your unrealistic ideal that you consider the norm. Although I would also be happy for you to remain blissfully unaware of it all. I like to see people happy after all.

It might seem like unrealistic ideal from your point of view. In my world it is a norm. And I was not born yesterday.

On the other hand I don't want you to spread predatory pathology as a norm. That's why I react. And I only react, when I see that people are buying it…

Predatory pathology? A bit dramatic if you asked me. But good to see that you are fighting the good cause and stepping in just in case someone might agree with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

You'll know when it's a scammer when they start calling you "my queen" and they're stuck in a conflict zone and can't access their bank account.

Advertisement