Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Yes, we really do need less people breaking immigration law and remaining in the country illegally. Much, much less. We should aim to completely eliminate it in fact, not encourage it.

What you are implying is that we should eliminate all border controls so as many people as possible can "safely" get here. It's hard to believe someone would seriously suggest this. The picture is nothing but a pathetic attempt to emotionally manipulate people into agreeing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Fair enough .

My last comment on this ...if this person is so racially biased person how can you trust anything they post ?

It's not unusual for these videos to be reconstructed or fake .

I wouldn't believe it on any media without verification .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 boredyooser

Hi Nachouser,

I invite you to print off your post, frame it, put it up on your wall and look at it and think about it on every 10 Year anniversary. whilst googling the demographic statistics of the Republic of Ireland on that particular day.

These are the current statistics from England.

The Indigenous White British people now comprise under 75 % of the population of England.

The Indigenous White British people now comprise about around 36% of the population of their capital city of London.

London is comprised of 32 Boroughs, in some boroughs, the Indigenous White British people comprise less than 20% of the population of the borough, for example Newham, where they make up less than 17% of the population.

Boroughs are comprised of Wards, where local councillors are voted for. in some wards the Indigenous White British People now comprise less than 5% of the population.

Britain, currently has the highest number of 4 or more children families since the early 1970s. However, this is not spread evenly through Ethnic Groups. The majority of 4 children families are being born to mothers from Somalia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and other countries. The average White British women is bottom of the list in fertility statistics.

Additionally, while Indigenous White British Women will have their perhaps 1 or maybe 2 children at a far later age, if they ever have them at all, women from such ethnic groups will have their children at a much younger age, which means that in generational terms, 3 generations of certain ethnic groups will be born in the same time as 2 generations of Indigenous White British. It's also to note that the 2nd and 3rd Generations of these ethnic groups who will be considered " British " in future statistics by virtue of acquisition of British passports for convenience and enrichment, whilst they themselves identify as their ethnic group, which will skew future demographic statistics, ( much as the RTE report that " A ( never identified ) Man From Tallaght " has been arrested )

For some time, estimates on when the Indigenous Whte British people will become a minority in Britain ( not England ) all agree that this inevitable within this century. Some estimates give the mid to late 2050s , others the early 2070s. But it is agreed that by the time the century is out, the Indigenous White British people will become an ethnic minority in Britain when measured against " non White British ".

These estimates are based on " current trends ". but given local councils prioritise social housing on " single mothers " with " large families ", and the new Labour government will re-instate child benefit for all children, the rewards of having large families and putting a hand out to the state will surely increase. It;s almost like adding steriods to the equation.

So yes, the Indigiinous White British people are indeed being " outbred ".

As as for colonisations, I could educate you on that too.

But there is a certain contingent who will claim that " Ireland will be different ", because we are nicer, and they will respect that, and become more Irish than the Irish,.

You will live to take down the picture frame and eat your words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, I stand by my comment about nasty stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 boredyooser

Discussion of the dilution of culture, being outbred, and colonised is " nasty stuff " ?

I believe those on the left are in agreement that the actions of European immigrants and colonisers as it affected the Indigenous North American people, the Canadaiand First Nation people, the Indigenous South American people, the Indigenous Australian people, the Indigenous New Zealand people, the Indigenous people of the African continent and the Indigenous people of the South Asian sub continent is to be considered genocide and crimes against humanity.

Yet discussion of similar demographic changes relating to the Indigenous people of the island of Ireland is " nasty stuff ".

Double standards there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭nachouser

Nope, I'm just referring to people banging on about Ireland being diluted by immigration. And I consider that to be nasty. You seem to be referring to something else entirely. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We are part of the EU, so isn’t there a legal way to work with the cheapest place in the EU to house detainees? Would Bulgaria do a deal to take thousands of unknown people into detention centres at a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Overheard on the LUAS at Marlborough this morning "why do the Irish homeless only have a sleeping bag in this rain and the so called asylum seekers have a brand new tent to keep them dry ?"

Because this country doesn't care about its own people falling on hard times, just economic chancers. It's very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Let them move into their supporters houses off they go

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Its been proven time and time again the government only care for minorities -what to do ?-vote them out .

What happens? they get voted back in -we made this .

• Registered Users Posts: 54,210 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm sure there's some posters here that are the "Supporters" referenced in the title

• Registered Users Posts: 54,210 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So they dismantled these tents @ Charlemont Place, close to the Charlemont Luas stop

The asylum seekers have now moved around the corner where a new camp was being established by some of them on some vacant land currently earmarked for development.

Moving around the corner……

It's so infuriating this continues to happen, it's like you're playing wack a mole at this stage, there's just no end to this blight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Yes of course, what we need to talk about in this refugee thread is your feeling of being emotionally blackmailed, not the 30,000 people who have died or gone missing trying to cross to Mediterranean to get to the EU in the last decade. A figure which will also include many innocent people, including children, dying horribly and needlessly trying to come to Ireland.

In years to come I think people will look back on those benefiting from these systems in the same way we now do slave traders. These beneficiaries include traffickers, but also the opportunist politicians, and their scapegoat seeking, outrage hungry supporters who demand these measures.

There are plenty of alternatives to the horrible, murderous, deterrent approaches which of course look nothing like 'open borders'. The problem is those alternatives are long term with no immediate political gain, so instead lets pour billions more towards these failed approaches because they provide ready scapegoats, the 'bogus' asylum seekers, to secure cheap votes from the genuine, well meaning, but ill-informed locals concerned about services , and also the hate-filled mobs and their constructed social media realities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If you want to debate current refugee policies in Ireland, then stick to current policies. Dragging up photos from nearly a decade ago completely undermines your the views you wish to espouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Thankfully all those children arriving into Ireland at the moment and sleeping along the canal are huge. Like fully grown adult male sized.

And yet if it were ordinary local people raising objections to asylum seekers being imposed upon their community, government reps, RTE and the IT would be all over the story - labelling the concerned citizens as far right.

Do you think children have stopped dying coming to Ireland?

11 are killed every week trying to cross the Med.

https://www.unicef.org/press-releases/eleven-children-die-every-week-attempting-cross-central-mediterranean-sea-migration

Based last years asylum figures, and Ireland's percentage of EU totals, that would mean 8 children died trying to come here last year and 40 adults.

I see no figures on how many are detained indefinitely, or being tortured by militias in North Africa, or sexually exploited by traffickers etc.

• Advertisement

That photo really got you didn't it ?

Years later it is still so tragic and poignant .

Yet there are people shxxng on here about and thanking videos from racists ,white supremavist posts about UK , and anything that mentions adult males in tents .

Pathetic at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.newstalk.com/news/number-of-asylum-seekers-up-87-in-2024-1743418

Numbers continue to rise

We’ve spent over a billion quid on this mess (excluding the Ukrainians)

Let that sink in. Over a billion of our taxed income spent on making our country a worse place to live.

They won’t spend on vital infrastructure projects like the metro to the airport etc but they’re more than happy to piss away our taxes on a bunch of chancers at the drop of a hat

No it didn't really - we see similar on the news every other week. What I object to is the chosen use of a photo that was taken 9 years ago in support of views being debated currently. I can think of words for this but I'm sure others can too.

We can all pull images off the internet, if we want to go down this road. Here's an image below of immigrants rioting in Italy. But it doesn't really have any relevance to current events in Ireland, does it??

I don't know what you're trying to get at here.

Do you not know people are crossing the med to come to Ireland?

Or are you trying to say a certain amount of children dying, or being raped, while trying to get here is acceptable, because of riots in Italy?

Maybe it's just good old fashioned whataboutery.

No.

But that photo was relevant to the discussion of asylum seekers arriving on flights as opposed to small boats..hence the reason it was posted , as you know .

Take anything out of context as you have done and you can make it irrelevant .

And my point is that people here need to check themselves in what they are supporting here .

This debate has lost connection with the average person in Ireland 2024 when it suggests ...that for example , being white is a prime indicator for citizenship .

That tents should not be supplied to homeless people if they are not Irish .

That videos from known racists are acceptable or believable on this forum .

I am pretty shocked tbh at the amount of, as another poster put it , " nasty stuff " that people thank and support on this thread .

And as you consistently refuse to accept after the recent elections , the vast majority of Irish people do not support this narrative .

There is a big difference between asking for control in numbers of asylum seekers and the type of debate here above .

Anyway I won't be saying much more .

I have withdrawn recently a bit from this thread because it was taking too much time and energy arguing against you and others who refuse to budge from very entrenched positions and seem to be increasingly going down the far right rabbit hole despite protestations to the contrary .

I do think this thread will go down in the history of boards for all the wrong reasons and some (not me ) will be embarassed about their contributions.

No doubt there will be many posts decrying this but very few of the posters here are representative of the majority of Irish people I am proud to say .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Not to mention the shortage of vital child services and shortage of doctors and nurses etc due to financial restraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I am sure a 10th of that money could have been spent on those kids suffering with Scoliosis, either by paying for some to treated abroad and also by putting what is required in this country so that no child is waiting longer than 4 months for treatment.

The photo discussed was a lazy attempt to illustrate a point, the poster presumably thought that no one would bother to check and perhaps they didn't even bother to check themselves when it occurred, nearly a decade ago. In that situation myself, I'd put my hands up and say fair cop.

I & I'm sure others are quite happy to discuss the ins and outs of our current refugee and asylum seeker policies and current events related. Most reasonable people see there are various angles, bad points and some good points. I've never said matters are black & white. However like many fellow citizens, I think we have gone too far in recent times and we need to counter balance this and reduce the inward flow, whilst removing those with no rights to be here. At the same time, we should assist a set annual quota of valid applications and do what is needed in these cases. That approach matches our obligations with our chequebook.

If others want to argue otherwise and that we should squeeze everyone in who wishes to come here, at whatever cost, well offer the arguments and be prepared to defend them.

I was well aware of when the picture was from when I posted it.

Because these deaths are still occurring as a consequence of our policies here, it is part of the current debate.

If it stops you from so desperately trying to dissociate the policies you call for, from their consequences, I can post a more recent picture of a dead child from the med?

Or we could talk about how many women and children are being raped and tortured because of the hard borders we already have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Who exactly is being raped and murdered due to our "hard borders" - which we do not have, unless the word "porous" has a different meaning to you.

Perhaps you could be good enough to provide details ?

Advertisement