Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The value people see in PHEVs is undoubtedly linked to the idea of still having the comfort of an ICE engine when needed.

Never needing to charge on a trip and refuel as normal - ie fill up with petrol.

Charge only when convenient - ie at home and/or the workplace while doing normal other stuff.

People often focus heavily on a journey they might only do 5 times a year.

And they see the PHEV as been able to operate as an ICE vehicle for those journeys.

But they can run in EV mode for local journeys in the comfort of knowing that they won't run out once there's petrol in the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭joe1303l

A lot of folks buying new PHEV’s because they can’t get diesel’s anymore in a particular model or the premium for the diesel version is too much of a price jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Stayed in a friends holiday home in France. There is a charging area with 10 or 12 chargers about 300m down the road from the holiday apartment. It is locked with only access to the people from his complex. He told me there was a charge added on to the apartments to buy the field and put in the car park and chargers. Everyone had to pay this and each person can then get a card for access if they want it and they then pay with that card when they charge. Those who use it have to pay an annual fee to get the card. The price doubles after a certain time or amount of energy consumed he said so people arent just leaving cars in the car park blocking it. A few hundred meters down the road there is another one, presumably for another group of apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We were using go car for a while as one of us was using our car all the time. Found that there werent enough of them tbh. Otherwise they would have been great. Usually when i wanted one there was none available. Not always, but enough that it stopped me using them. If they had enough gocars that there was always one available when you needed it then it could easily replace having your own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ellyU

Most likely a reflection of the growing interest in hybrids and electrics cars. . By the way, speaking of convenience, I recently found an article listing the best coupon sites. It might help save some money when shopping for different essentials!

Post edited by ellyU on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Eamon Ryan was ridiculed for suggesting this but he was somewhat right. Might not work in rural villages but might work in an urban setting better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sk8board

pretty much more of the same in July - here’s the whole year so far:

EV market share of 13%, overall volume down 24% (also down 24% for July alone).

Electric cars by month: 2024 v 2023:

By manufacture, all of 2024 v 2023:

Falls across the whole market really, the only ones with gains are ones with new models released.

by model:

There’s a number of car models from last year that have disappeared, or large drops in sales this year, such as the Zoe, Corsa, Mini, Honda E, 2008, 208, eTron GT, Mokka, EQS, MachE, iX, Taycan, ID5 and some others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Ryano87

Do you mind me asking what she traded the Karoq against? We are in the same boat with a 222 one and thinking of going electric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Ryano87

Sorry see post above.. what did ye end up buying? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭mun1

we went for the dolphin ,great trade in value. I would have chosen the mg4 but my OH liked the feel of the byd

Some really bleak numbers there…..
    The greenwashing effect of petrol hybrids must be really taking hold because diesel car sales numbers are also in tatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭yermanthere

Plug in hybrids are a pain for full electric too, when it comes to charger use.

One of the sites I work at has a staff charger. Phev plugged in for hours. And small battery means it's emptied every day. My battery charges 3 times faster (11kw), so in the same time I've got nearly 200km range. So I wouldn't be plugging in every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭micks_address

A fair few people I know are buying plug in hybrids because they can cover their daily commute or local journeys on battery only.. they never or rarely use the petrol/engine unless they do long journeys which might only be couple of times a year. Important to do at least one engine powered journey a month in these cars or the mechanical side and fuel side will become unhappy. Was thinking about pricing and EVs are probably about the same price as ice new now and definitely cheaper than plug in hybrids which is basically a conjoined EV and ice car so the price is going to be higher. The cost of removing potential range anxiety is pretty high

You’ld be better off to give the PHEV owner a €5 petrol voucher to let you charge or get in to work earlier….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

We don't let the PHEV staff member charge in work, he will just hog the chargers every day. Mitsubishi outlander and it needs the best part of the day to charge the small battery. It doesn't even cover his commute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭dor83

My last car was a PHEV and if I hadn't owned it first I'd have been reluctant to go full electric this time. It suited me perfectly as my daily commute is 22km so that and local driving were always on the electric as I always charged it at home. I'm happy with the EV now but I can also see the benefits of a PHEV for some people.

Personally I don’t think caring about the environment has much to do with a car buying decision; EVs or not. As for BEVs, it’s abundantly clear that ‘tailpipe emissions’ is not the primary reason given when asked why you bought it.

EVs have greenwashing too, with some rather big holes being dug in the ground in the Congo or wherever - drivers are not too concerned.

Considering where we are in the rollout of BEV, If you can do the vast majority of your miles on electric and have a ‘range extender’ for long journeys, people seem to be very happy to go that way at the moment. I don’t see the point personally, but as we always say, the people on a motor forum are not representative of the average car buyer in any way!

(The quote thing in broken again)

Replying to the comment about diesel sales in tatters - Diesel car sales are up year on year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I went looking for a PHEV but ended up with an BEV because the used PHEV were so much more expensive it didn't make sense, for me. Used because a year ago the new prices made no sense to me.

Unless I was doing a regular long distance journey having a BEV that can be charged faster does 95% of my journeys with less charging, and lower running costs. Makes more sense.

If I was doing regular long distance where range and time was important, I'd just buy an ICE. Theres no govt disincentive not to buy one and it's more economical on long runs and simpler than a hybrid.

If I wanted a PHEV it would have to have 150km range and fast charging. Things I only realise from running a BEV. But I'm not sure it's worth the extra It would cost. I think I could get a BEV with 300km range and very fast charging DC and AC for much less and it would be fine for 98% of journeys, a lot cheaper to run. That last 2-5% of journeys where it's pain I could live with.

But I totally get why people choose a MHEV or PHEV. Its a less risky compromise.

• Advertisement

I noted that while in London this year there were far more EVs than last year. Perhaps due partially to the extension of the ULEZ. Though modern ICE can use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭creedp

A bit of EV racism being practiced here😁 Reality is most EV owners don't need to plug in in work to cover there commute either but are cheapskates and won't charge at home for between 6 and 20c per kwh.

Personally I don't see why EV driving emloyees feel their employer should be obliged to fund the cost of non work related driving. Great deal to come into work on turtle mode and dump 80kwh of free electricity into their car. Imagine the termity of a phev driver inhibiting access to this freebie🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭micks_address

wait till vehicle to grid is available and you can put 60kwh into your car at work for free and dump it to the grid for 15 euro..

Will probably be taxable too but even so would be a profitable little hustle. Better make sure any EV driving luddite without vtg will be excluded from chargers😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Plenty of work chargers aren't free, nice option for people without home charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Employer is me....and 3 other directors with EVs and 2 other company cars. I have 2 EVs and so does 1 other director.

1 staff member now with an EV that is not an owner or a director and she is allowed charge at work as a perk, no problem allowing her to do that

3 chargers installed and a guy arrived with his outlander phev looking to charge at work to do his commute home, I said no. He works mainly away from premises too in a van.

We would be down to 2 chargers in that case, not happening.

Certainly open to installing more chargers as more staff get EVs if needed, happy for them to see it as a perk. If we ever get to EV vans, which we are possibly going to do soon with an ID Buzz, they will be needed for that too.

But charging PHEVS basically means that car has their own dedicated charger.

I had a phev before and had to plug in every day I know what they're like. Hours of charging for a few KMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Suits us perfectly. 6 if not 7 days a week is all on battery, charged by solar. But due to the nature of my wife's job she can get a call at short notice at all hours to go to several sites the next day. They're usually at either end of the country so she'll be gone from dawn to that night and the PHEV in hybrid mode is perfect.

Added bonus now is that she won't need to worry about the EV Charger police.

I can understand your stance but there may implications if you’ve been seen to treat 2 staff members differently. A perk for one and not the other…. If you’ve provided a work van for the owner of the Outlander that he is allowed to bring home, then it’s a non issue.

• Advertisement

No different to parking for some and not for others.

Advertisement