Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Air Hostess Allegedly Domestically Abused In Dubai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

The unfortunate reality is Irish people need to educate themselves about these countries in the middle East. They are incompatible with civilised society despite the facade they put on. The simple rule is avoid these places like the plague.

Despite the globalised perception of the world the simple truth is there are societies and cultures that are just incompatible with each other. As others have said, we are not going to change them, so best to just avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Get lost with your sociopathic posturing. You impress nobody with your retrograde, victim blaming views.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I did not blame her. I said that if she broke local laws she will be investigated and charged. It’s not difficult to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

There have been plenty of reports over the years of how terrible they are to work for. Staff can have their salaries reduced for going up a dress size, working conditions are poor, the airline can ruin your life in an instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You didn't show an ounce of concern that she was a victim of domestic abuse. Instead your first response was to say she broke the law ergo fine. Now attempt some logic, consider the mental state of somebody who is being domestically abused by their son, they attempt suicide and your first thought is "they broke the law, sure". Never a mention of the abuser who also broke the law etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has it been reported if her husband has been arrested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭enricoh

Flew to Nepal years ago with a stop in Dubai. 90% of those on flight to Nepal were teenagers working in construction in Dubai. (Were wearing some construction crowds baseball cap)

Mentioned it to a barman in Nepal, he said he done a stint. Basically they just want kids 14/15 that they can work to the bone. No problem beating any kid to near death that objects and ditto to Filipino cleaner/ nanny who rejects the hubby's advances.

Kip , albeit a glittery one

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

horrific case,poor girl,hope she gets out of there as soon as possible…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Because to the authorities in Dubai it makes no difference why she was distraught. They will still charge her no matter why. I am not commenting on the husband because this thread is about her and her plight. It’s not the first and it won’t be the last case of westerners facing the harsh reality of having broken local laws even if these laws seem utterly ridiculous and unreasonable to us. It was similar with this student who thought he wouldn’t be arrested for flying to Egypt to join the protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Interesting that Mary Lou McDonald is putting pressure on the government to fix this (and she's right) but then doesn't appreciate the irony of her sucking up to Muslims and wearing headscarf , "talking about our wonderful muslim community" etc in recent months.

It shows you what a dishonest character she is in that she'll pander to a culture and religion that has repeatedly shown such disregard for women but then claim she's on women's sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭Ted222

Fully agree.

My issue is with our government developing trade and cultural links with these countries as if they’re places to be celebrated. Little wonder that people going there to live are unaware of the risks they face in reality.

We have government ministers going there on trade visits, stopping off at local GAA clubs, revelling in the “close links” being developed etc

They're being used to endorse and give credibility to a really rotten regime. The Irish public would be better served by cutting ties with such deplorable human rights standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Should be sustained pressure put on the airline that employs her by social and normal media.

The chances of a conviction here is zero, all the British media outlets have now taken up the story, I imagine she will be on a flight in the next 2 weeks if that is what she wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I find that to be the case with all these people who support the Palestinians.

The people who run Gaza now or who will run a Palestinian state in the future would have social norms closer to those in the UAE rather than the ones liberal Ireland or Europe would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Redacted Circular

Yeah and then you get called a racist and islamophobe...nothing you can do. I mean there are women (and they are always White) who think they can hitch hike around India.

Some people are just naive.

No, the domestic abuse is entirely relevant to this discussion. Particularly since it's far more unclear what actions the authorities are taking on it and that's not legal either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭Ted222

True. But Irish people should be more aware that these things happen all the time in these places and that they’re not the shiny happy lands of opportunity that they’d like you to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh well that's grand then. What's she complaining about then? 🙄

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I transited through the airport once but have never set foot in Dubai and happily never will, or anywhere else on the Arabian peninsula. There was an episode of Banged up Abroad years ago where a male nurse from the UK went to work in Saudi and got locked up for being gay, wtf are you doing going to live in Saudi if you're gay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

You can draw a distinction though.

This terrible incident in Dubai doesn't automatically equate to the Muslim community in Ireland being bad.

The problem with that is that it took a family acquaintance being a Sinn Fein TD for the government to be made aware of her plight, so it seems like the embassy had zero interest until the family got someone back home to call it to the government's attention.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I know some teachers and nurses that have gone to the UAE to work, and also an Emirates cabin crew member too.

They are WELL aware of the risks,as they are briefed EXTENSIVELY and REPEATEDLY by the agencies that hire them, by their employers and also through their relationships with the large ex-pat communities in which they live.

I don't suppose Tori Towey planned to be a victim of compunded wrongs here, do you???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Has any poster ever worked and lived there.

Terrible situation to be in surely the government could use their influence to get her home.

During the down turn my husband was offered a job in one of the UAE's can't remember which one, he was wary anyway, then he discovered if he left the job before the contract was up he would need permission from the government to leave the country.

He didn't take the job.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I would very much doubt the embassy took zero interest. That's maybe just you putting 2+2 together making 5. Embassy staff don't tend to blurt out their diplomatic business all over social media because they want to avoid anyone losing face.

Meanwhile politicians like to jump in close to the resolution to take credit for the work that has been going on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It doesn't equate to all muslims being bad of course not.

However she's not sucking up to individual muslims she's sucking up to the entire community i.e the religion itself.

This performative nonsense of wearing a headscarf attending eid celebrations is an example of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Many people make a success of it- I know a couple who spent half their working life out there now retired - they made a mint and had an amazing life- worked at a senior level indifferent companies - but saying all of that there are strict rules too and you need to know them - even something simple like an unpaid parking fine needs to be dealt with before you leave the country even temporarily.

This poor woman is obviously a victim here but given the states view of her as a foreigner and woman a very hard situation to legislate for- things will be fine for you as long as things are fine - this example just shows you need to go there with your eyes wide open - relationship breakdown no matter what the cause, could be catastrophic for a woman

It's possible that the embassy is working in the background, but I wasn't referring to social media, I was referring to Simon Harris saying in the Dail that he had been unaware of the case until a SF TD who knows the family in Roscommon mentioned it in the Dail.

Now maybe that's a bad thing, and that the embassy works better without involving the government, but I'm not convinced of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Has it come out to say whether the hubbie is local?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Were it a bunch of fundamentalist Christians threatening to sentence a woman to 100 lashes and a seven year prison term for reporting being raped we all know there would be uproar from the usual suspects, when it's Sharia Law it's no big deal.

• Advertisement

Advertisement