Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options
1106107108109110112»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Ive been using one on a granny charger at night for 12 years. Have them on electric heaters in the house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

the problem with them is a lot are just clones and are quite cheaply manufactured. I wouldnt like to run that kind of current through one for any length of time. Seen on another forum someone was using with their condenser drier and it melted and would have caused a fire only they were present. Check the specs carefully if you can find them. Some state they can take that load for a short time etc.

we have been on pinergy since last October. Ive 13.6kw usable battery and the 3 hour window can get me to about 10.6 nightly (inverter limit). Its only an issue for December & Jan but some days I ran out of battery and used some import at peak tariff. I'm tempted to move to energia for this winter. That way I'll get the 4 hours to fill the battery. Hate seeing the empty capacity in the battery on those mornings. I was hoping I'd get enough solar to cover the 'gap' but on fair few days just doesnt cut it. I've 7.1kwp south east/ north west split 4/3

We added a pumped shower beside our electric shower and its so much nicer. We only have a 120 litre tank which can cover max maybe 2 7 or 8 minute showers. We heat it from electricity over night and then I've automation running in home assistant which boosts the tank from the gas for 30 minutes based on the temp of the water in the middle of the tank. Running that for a few months now and no complaints. Ideally would have a much larger tank and use the night rate electric to heat it but the gas boosting is maybe once or twice a day max so its not to bad. I did up the numbers comparing pinergy to energia in my case for a December day and charging the EV for the night windows. Pinergy came in at 4.67 for the day versus Energia at 3.62. Including standing charge differences. That was only charging the car at 3 hours to compare (4 hours window would be nicer but I dont really need it for the car). Energia comes in cheaper due to being able to charge the house battery fully so would need less import.

Its really hard to know but once i get to February im importing very little outside of pinergy night tariff and exporting lots - at .25 cents for as long as that rate lasts. Possibly I'd still be better off with energia though as I could charge the battery fully and export quicker at .21 cents. Either way I'm not losing much. Ive automation running each night which checks the battery SOC and dumps it for an hour at midnight if the solar forecast for the next day 10kw and the battery SOC is more than 40%.. not a fortune but maybe 20 euro a month in export. Most summer days pinergy is costing me about 70 cents in electricity and i could be exporting 5 to 8 euro worth depending on the weather.

If my invertor could charge the batteries just that bit fast I'd be sticking with pinergy for sure. Im tied to batteries though so can't just swap it out easily

re the triton shower - have you tried turning down to the 'mid' setting for the summer months at least? It should use about 5kwh then.. we used to run ours all year around like that.. it does impact pressure though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

That's great, I use some too. Not all are equal though and most say 13 amps but are only rated for a few amps continuous load.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Any of you know, do installers upload the NC6 on your behalf to a portal? Our installer said they uploaded it 4 months ago, ESB said they haven't received it. So, I'm back and forth trying to find out who hasn't done their job...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

Hi.

This is probably the wrong thread but if anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

How can I set my Solis inverter up to dump any battery excess to the grid by 2 am in order for me to charge it between 2&6 am?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Installer emailed it to "Network Services Bureau" and I was cc'ed on that email. I then received an automated email from ESBn a couple of weeks later to confirm receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I don't know how you would automate it to bring you down to near empty each time, but to dump the energy from a certain time, you go into

advanced settings. Password 0010.

Storage Mode Select > Self Use > On > Time of Use.

From here, you need the "Optimal Income" setting on Run.

You then have 3 charge and discharge timers. The charge timers will be the times you charge from the grid and the discharge times you enter will be when you dump the excess to the grid. You could set it to dump excess from 10pm to 11pm which will send 5-6kWh to the grid depending on the inverter size.

Pay attention to your charge and discharge limits. I have mine set to 95A. Default setting was 50A.

Press Esc. Save & Send Job done

Stay Free

Cheers, that's useful. I might just go with Energia until I am properly setup with 2 batteries and I can charge both batteries in 3 hours. I need my MIC to be upgraded to 12kVa before I can do this and I don't know when ESB will get around to doing this for me.

It's been a brutal 2 days for the solar. My battery was at 92% when I was leaving at 7:30 this morning. It's at 38% now after 8 hours. It should last the rest of the day with little bits of solar topping it up, but has made me lean toward a safer option. I might have gone with BG, because the rest of their night rate is not overly punitive, but their standing charge is €90 more and they only pay FIT every 6 months.

Stay Free

Switched to Energia today. Battery charge timer is now set 2-6am. Will dump energy from 1-2am if anything is left over. The FIT is OK at 21c. I could only put 2 names on the bill though. No room for more.

Moved the gas to BG. We use very little gas. 4,000kWh last year. Just moved because I know a sales guy that works for them and it won't cost me anything to move. Might save €70 in the year from it.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It is? That's much better. I didn't see it listed on the plan and was just going off what Mick said earlier

Possibly I'd still be better off with energia though as I could charge the battery fully and export quicker at .21 cents.

I can see it's 24c here. Nice

Stay Free

Takes two weeks approx for a supplier switch if that's the question

Yes, was wondering as it took EI about 5 weeks to put me on a smart plan.🙈

☀️

EI just seem to be slow in general. I bet they'll be Slow to pay what I've exported since last bill.

The car timers are set now, so im just getting my end right.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Up to 2 months if the smart meter was just installed, they need at least 30 days of data or some nonsense like that

Mine was installed 2 months ago. I left it on the D/N rate until today. Called Energia an hour ago to check when I would be moved to the new tariff. No record of me signing up despite receiving the welcome email. Apparently it's because my meter is new and I wasn't on a smart meter plan.

Anyway, signed up now. Will be on their D/N rate for about 2 weeks and will be told when the smart tariff is activated. This gives me some time to get into a new routine with it. I think I'll run a separate line for my external socket too, because it spurs off my electric gates, cctv and bell. I'd like to add more garden lighting, so it's a good time to split the external socket if it's to be used regularly going forward.

And as I was writing this, an Energia sales rep called on the door 😂

Felt a bit bad he missed an easy sale. I've been in his shoes, so it's a sting when that happens. I did call a local BG sales rep who called a couple months ago to sign me up, so at least he got a gas sale out of my switching time.

Stay Free

Advertisement