Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House extension adaption grant

• 08-07-2024 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi all

Just a query about housing adaption grants for the elderly. I have elderly relatives, who were awarded a 30,000 housing adaption grant for a downstairs bedroom bathroom extension.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in these and what kind of time frame is involved. Also, the builder quotation was 52,000, which leaves around 22,000 to pay, seems a bit high but that's probably the price in the current climate.

They are in 2 minds as to whether to go ahead with it or not, so just enquiring if anyone has had these kind of extensions built and were they happy with the results etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,269 ✭✭✭✭muffler

On a personal note one of my sisters availed of this grant as did the in-laws a number of years ago and given the medical conditions involved they could never have managed without the ground floor extensions. Professionally I have planned loads of these and got to know the clients on a semi-personal basis and every single one were full of praise for the end product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

Thanks. Yea it's a ground floor extension, with railings outside etc, they both struggle on stairs and paths outside house. Do they need an architect first? I think the builder told them there was no need for one.

How long does it take to build them? Maybe 2-3 months or so?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To get the grant they would have having to prepare drawings already.

They will need a professional to sign off compliance for fund release.

Thnk it was just the builders quotation that was asked for. Maybe they need an architect also

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How did the builder know what to price for if there are no drawings?

I've been involved with plenty of these from a design and 'sign off' point of view.

Never ever seen one done without a drawing. There should be an occupational therapist report to be complied with as well.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Advertisement

Yea the occupational therapist report was sent in with application. The application was successful so they're deciding now whether to go ahead with the extension or not. Builder has given quotation, he was already out checking the house.

well as to your question of "whether to go ahead with it or not"

i certainly wouldn't be committing to spend €22,000 without known what i am going to end up with.

Yea I have told them similar. Wouldn't be spending that amount unless seen the final drawings of it

The vat from builders quote was around 6000e, can this be reclaimed after extension is completed, or is it hard to claim back

No you can't claim it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why would you be able to claim back the builders VAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

We did it years ago now for my father, does the extension need planning permission? That delayed us for months, builder of course said it wasn't needed but then again he's not the planning expert!

Definitely needed drawings and yes there was extra 30k in ours on top of grant but understandable as we had added an extra small room to the bedroom/bathroom design. You need the money to complete it first as the grant isn't paid until it's completed and approved by council.

It was a great job in the finish up but good architect (which cost around 1,500 back then) and good builder.

Builder said it won't need planning permission, very renowned building company who do them regularly.

Does the grant not be paid until builders paid? The forms only asked can you afford the remaining balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,269 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You can opt to have the grant paid directly to the builder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭shane b

My in-laws got this done about 2 years ago. Cost was just under 50K. My in laws had the 20k saved and My wife and her 2 siblings chipped in with the remaining 30k until the grant came through.

Planning permission was needed as the extension was put on the side of the house so would be visible from the road. They looked at a design to the back that didnt need planning but it would have meant building to the rear of the kitchen and sharing the main bathroom. It wasnt a workable long term plan. There was an architect involved too.

One of the big misses that happened was the builders quote didnt include the sanitary ware or the tiling. Basically my in-laws walked in 1 day and asked wheres the toilet/shower and was told its not included. My in-laws had to go buy the bathroom ware themselves last minute. The architect didnt cop it in the initial quote either.

2 years on now and there have been no issues and they are happy with the outcome.

it’s up to you to prepare those drawings. Not the builder.

Builder doesn’t determine this. Your professional does. The one signing the grant forms and the payment forms.

Builder can tell you the stars, nothing happens to him once it goes wrong. The home owner is ultimately responsible for compliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We got this in 2021. My advice is to let the builder know in clear English that he will be waiting for the councils contribution of 30k before it is finished. Also you will need an Engineer to certify before the grant is paid. I doubt an Engineer will certify it if it's not planing compliant.

You can claim VAT back on the full amount. So your contribution and the 30K from the grant.

All in all the builder is aware it's a grant job so should be absolutely willing to wait until the council process the grant. It took them about 4 weeks from the time I sent in the Engineers certification to pay the grant. They will pay you. Not the builder. You will also need a valid TCC.

GET AN ENGINEER THOUGH. THAT IS VITAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If the ask is to certify that it complied with building regulations. That’s all that’s relevant. Engineering can’t refuse to certify because it’s not planning compliant.

Depending on the nature of works. I’d be more inclined to get an architectural professional. Work involve is more architectural in nature than engineering scope.

This ground floor extension is at the back of house, a council engineer was already out checking house few months ago. Builder said dont need planning permssion

• Advertisement

hi Gusser

can you please show where you can claim vat back for the builders costs?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/documents/form-vat61a.pdf

shows its only claimable for aids and appliances

neither the councils engineer nor the builder have the responsibility to say whether an extension is exempt of not.

there are more conditions to comply with than just floor area.

I'm not sure what you mean by builders vat. If the entire extension is costing 55K along with the 30K grant then you claim the VAT on 55K. Not just your contribution of 25K. I was trying to claim the vat on the portion I paid and Revenue told me to claim it on the entire sum paid to the builder.

Take from the Citizens info website:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money-and-tax/tax/tax-credits-and-reliefs-for-people-with-disabilities/vat-refunds-on-aids-and-appliances-used-by-people-with-disabilities/

Housing adaptations

If you are having your home improved or adapted to make it more
    accessible, you may be able to claim a refund of VAT paid on the cost of
    installation and adaptation work. You may also qualify for a grant,
    such as the Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability, the Mobility Aids Grant Scheme or the Housing Aid for Older People Scheme. Read more about housing grants and schemes.

that what i mean.

if the contract price is €55k incl VAT, thats the builders VAT.

im wondering under what section of revenue can you claim back that VAT? i havent yet found any mechanism which allows that, only schemes which allow vat to be claimed on applicants, fittings etc.

it would be very useful information for me to have

It's 3 or 4 years since I claimed it but I did it online on my Revenue account. I just uploaded the final invoice and stamped it. There will be a section on you Revenue account for vat refunds. Revenue are decent to work with and will usually steer you too. They will pay it no questions asked.

just a though?

was this done under the Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) scheme which allowed you to reclaim the 13.5% builders vat back??

ive seen that, but none of those schemes mentioned show that you can claim back the builders vat. #

im just trying to find out the name of the scheme which allows it, so i can advise clients when it arises.

No. Housing adaptation grant.

It doesn't matter though. Any renovations which are aimed at making the house more accessible for a person with a disability can qualify for a vat refund.

We also sent in the Occupational therapists report as supporting documentation.

• Advertisement

It doesn't have to be a scheme. It can be any works that are carried out to improve accessibility for disabled people or other conditions.

Advertisement