Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

We had snow in May 40 years ago, when I was a kid. We also had some horrendous summers and July days like today. The weather in Ireland hasn't changed much in my lifetime. Not saying the global climate hasn't evolved, just that Ireland's weather hasn't really changed.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

George lee and John gibbons et al won’t like this comment.don’t you know were burning up😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,150 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Well yes irregular weather events used to happen. I remember the 1987 storm for example. Then we had Ophelia in 2017, and I think most years since then we get a few orange or red wind warnings in the Autumn or winter.

The point isn't that the weather is irregular or dangerous, it's that it's happening more frequently and more vigorously because of the warming planet.

Not really. We never had the RAG colour coded warning system "back in the day", so it just looks like it's more frequent. More widespread reporting, more sensationalism. There were loads of storms forty years ago, wind and electrical. Just as many.

Anyone old enough to remember the massive one during the summer of 1979 which caused the yacht race sinkings, off Fastnet Rock? 19 fatalities (15 yachtsmen and four spectators). Over 13–14 August, of the 303 yachts that started, 24 were abandoned, 75 boats capsized, of which five were lost and believed to be sunk, due to high winds and severe sea conditions. Can you imagine the orgy of Climate Doom reporting if that happened now?

Now someone will say that proves nothing, and it doesn't, but neither does saying we've had x number of yellow and red warnings in 2023.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭ginger22

What nonesence are you on about. How long is it since we had a real storm? years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

So the real reason is the new colour coded weather warnings and the increased reporting? Did the scientists get it wrong so? Fascinating

Storm Eustice was the last big big one in 2022, plenty of powerful ones in 2023 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

This the the reason I despise the current green zealoutry. At local level it's all about being the best in the class and qualifying for the US/EU friendly pat on the head. Good auld Ireland at the vanguard of the battle combating global climate. What a load of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The point isn't that the weather is irregular or dangerous, it's that it's happening more frequently and more vigorously because of the warming planet.

What metrics are you looking at that support your assertion? Back in 1839, the original village near where I grew up was washed away during an event that is known as Night of the Big Wind, a few people died. Todays village was built on higher ground. The population of the area at the time was ~7,000 people. Within a few years a fungal infestation wiped out successive years of potato crop and combined with the fall off in demand for labour in the the aftermath of the corn laws repeal, saw the population reduce through a combination or malnutrition, disease and emigration. Even in 2024 the population of the parish has never reached that density. A century prior, in 1740-41 saw the year of slaughter when frosts killed a greater portion of the Irish population.

We don't live long enough to experience the range of weather events that impact this country, so events like the 1947 freeze and the long cold winter of 1962-63 are wiped from memory as are the hurricanes that hit the country in the 1960s. There was no consistent recording of weather metrics or events prior to the 19th century, we do know that there has been variance in weather patterns on this island, the detection of the Ceide fields attest to that. Some of Eamon de Buitlear's recordings from the 80s cover how Irish landscape topology was shaped by ice ages, this was before "climate crisis" hype became the dominant media and political narrative. Back in the 80s, the scares were nuclear war, acid rain and ozone holes.

You will be hard pressed to find data to support trends in different weather patterns and you will not be able to tie them to the release of CO2 molecules at a concentration of 400 parts per million or 0.04% of the atmosphere. There is limited data available from the 19th century and it's confined to the Anglosphere (British empire and United States). Consistent recording of weather metrics only begins with the construction of airports mid-twentieth century, and satellite data only starts in the late 1960s and more specifically since 1979. Most of the advances in meteorology have come in the post world war II period, since the IPCC was founded in 1989 study has atrophied because funding is tied to maintaining the climate catastrophe narrative.

Another major change has been the communications revolution, when a cyclone happens in the bay of Bengal, it can be live-streamed, the click bait media are all over it like flies to sh!te, the eNGOs are spinning it into their climate catastrophe narrative to keep their funding going. All that is happening is cheap sensationalism, within 24 hours the media has moved on to something else, and the more impressionable among the general public are left with the impression that the world is ending.

Tony Heller gives a good overview of how such metrics are manipulated to support the climate catastrophe narrative. Dr. Ottmar Endenhofer on the thumbnail used to sit on the Irish climate quango.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Debbie for one 63 years ago and long before any mention of climate change.

September 1961 and still holds the record of 181 Km/h. wind speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I asked a specific poster, I am sure they are capable of answering on their own as they made the comment, not sure why you felt the need to butt in with another google search

Kinda touchy aren`t you for someone who regularly jumps in on conversations with your own unsolicited comments ?

And what gives you the idea that I had to google Debbie when I actually remember it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Cannot believe ya don't remember the one named after yourself. It was the first big storm I remember, namely cos the bastard ripped the covers off the silage pits which was a major blow to me as a child having to roll truck tires back onto it for the second time in a few weeks. Character building. It was an August storm, with 13 deaths attributed to it. Of course that event was a result of the hole in the ozone layer as climate change hadn't started

I do recall Charlie and the hole in the ozone layer that was never going to close. Just get larger until radiation killed us all off. I always wondered how that story ended up, but no matter.

I particulary remember Debbie because it was the cause of my late father having to spend a lenghty time in hospital and me as a child of 5 witnessing what occured from our kitchen window, and although he lived a fairly healthy life afterwards he never fully recover.

Compared to Debbie, for me anyway, using the Met Office colour scheme I would not rate any I have lived through since much more than a decent yellow. Although it does raise a wry smile when I see some on here posting about storms that they seem to believe we have never experienced the likes off for intensity before climate change started making the news.

Charlie was a nasty bugger alright but he was more on the south and east coast than on the west and he was still only trotting after Debbie as regards wind speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jonnreeks

I agree, yesterday was dull and cloudy while today Wednesday, according to Met Eireann the best day of the week. Expect sunny spells and temperatures of 20 degrees! Wow, kids get the bucket and spades we are heading for the beach………..! 😛 and I am working from home (beach), whatever!

Nope, it's just highlighted more now, if you read peoples posts correctly. The weather/climate in Ireland has not changed to any noticeable degree in my lifetime, IMHO.

I believe another factor in the rise of Green Zealots is the decline in organised religion. There's still the same proportion of people who like to preach to everyone, but they are not entering religious orders now. The smug, preachy tone of the zealots compared to the considered, factual posts of other excellent posters debating with them is evident.

For example: "Did the scientists get it wrong? Fascinating." Smug and patronising without contributing anything to the debate.

Certainly in my lifetime winters have become colder and winds have become stronger so I would disagree with your honest opinion. Maybe I'm vastly older than you or maybe I just notice it more, whatever the reason both are only opinions.

I'm not sure I would compare scientists who publish climate based papers to religious preachers. One wants to highlight what will happen in the future of the planet, the other is concerned with historical figures and what will happen after we go

And no, it wasn't a smug or patronising comment, it was a genuine question. Scientists are humans too and just like you and me they get things wrong. So again I ask, did the numerous scientists who predicted climate change get it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Surely Met Eireann have the records for storms, wind speeds, monthly temps, rainfall, blah, blah in their hands and have it published somewhere. All the anecdotal "feelings" are fine but the real stats are there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I remember really bad lighting storms as a child that would go on a whole night. And thats not yesterday. Thats definitely declined over the years

• Advertisement

I'm comparing religious preachers to you and your ilk with your smug and condescending remarks, not scientists. Please read peoples posts correctly.

Winters have become colder?? 🤣

That's a very typical response from a Green Zealot 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Quick Google Search tells me: "According to various studies and research, there is no conclusive evidence to suggest that storms have increased in frequency or intensity due to climate change. In fact, some studies have found that the frequency of tropical cyclones, including hurricanes and typhoons, has decreased over the past century."

Next post down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

The question that should be put to the Greens: show us your evidence that reducing CO2 emissions in Ireland, will effect global temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

It's more than Greens, every mainstream political party rinses their policies at the same EU laundry and have been thoroughly green washed. Their answer will be "even if the science is wrong we must do it anyway because reasons". The usual excuse trotted out is international obligations i.e. we as your elected representatives signed you up to something you did not vote for. Only resistance through protest mass demonstration ("yellow vests") or imminent loss of political power will change policies.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I think you know the answer to that. We can hardly lecture other and larger countries to reduce their emissions if we don't do all we can to reduce ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Replace lecture with preach from the pulpit and I get it. Empty vessels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Advertisement