Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Finding the narrative around this series to be getting worse and worse. Feels like we've been brought down to their level too, after weeks of badgering from the Boks, a few questionable refereeing decisions has blown the whole thing up.

In general I'm finding them to be incredibly distasteful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The ref was very quick to brush that off as a legal tackle and bizarrely wanted to move the game on without checking it properly. Perhaps in that case the Irish captain should be extremely brief and just comment that it’s a late hit that needs review, and the player came from an offside position so please review that too. Then walk away and don’t engage in a discussion with a back and forth with a stressed ref. They had about 5 minutes to review the incident so they should have got it right, late hit on a player not in possession resulting in severe injury, red card, and even if not capable of getting that right if he came from an offside position, penalty at least. The ref and TMO completely bottled it and showed they are totally inept at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In general I'm finding them to be incredibly distasteful

I think it all comes from the top tbh, but they are a particularly classless bunch of men.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The TMO is doign what during this period?

Serious questions need to be asked about the role of the TMO. They seem to want to get involved in some situation when they shouldn't, when they should they want to ignore.

The Boks have been like that for years, look at the reaction after the England game when Curry mentioned to the ref what he thought was said, not to the press or anyone. To the ref on the pitch and it was caught on ref mic

The abuse he got and still gets today is a joke, plus the excuse the Boks made up, nobody but the Boks believe that horse sh*t.

Eben and DDA made fools out of themselves before the games, now Bongi. From an Ireland point of view, ignore the clowns. One more game and they will be off making fools of themselves about another team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The TMO is doign what during this period?

In Pearce's defence, you could hear Whitehouse over the comms saying it was "just a collision" or something similar, and that's how the TMO system is supposed to work.

Quite how Whitehouse came to that conclusion is unclear given it was very obvious what Snyman was up to, but he did review it.

• Advertisement

The TMO had 5 minutes to review, what was he doing?

He had no problem stopping the game for minutes on end over the SA try when he could have just made a quick call on that, instead we had replay after replay while he waffled on abotu another angle

Like how could anyone see that as a good use? one minute he shuts the entire games down for minutes for no reason as everyone could see it was a try

The next when the game is off, he can't bother his arse to review a situation when a player is down and getting oxygen on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I was reacting to basically every podcast asking what happened between him and the ref, and talking about it like its a problem.

You also don't HAVE to be the captain at your club to be an international captain, but wouldn't the experience help? By implication, you seem to be saying he isn't?

Its not really here nor there whether Pierce's behaviour was 'acceptable'. He's supposed to be managed by the captain. That's always how rugby has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FtD v2

Even if they reviewed the incident and judged the actual tackle to be okay (despite being late), he was still patently offside at a minimum. A penalty to us there and Cheslin Kolbe's try doesn't happen.

I agree, when there was such an extended period, why the hell Pearce wouldn't ask to have a look at the incident. I think it stems from a general World Rugby attitude that seemed to happen during the RWC where they don't want to highlight and replay incidents of guys getting badly hurt because of optics.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Whitehouse is a terrible TMO, imo. I'd have less issue with Pearce. I do think he has a tendency to be a bit "matey matey" with players in his communication and then get irritated if they stray from that kind of tone with him, but in general, he's an ok ref. He had an off day last weekend, I don't think his treatment of Doris was in any way acceptable, but the main issues with iffy decisions were mostly on Whitehouse.

So, couldn't ireland just pick Ryan or Ringrose then as captain, instead of Doris?

I feel if the goal is to get on the right side of refs, pick a guy who does it every week so at least they have a decent body of experience.

Refs to me are like some kind of act of god or something. They exist and you deal with them. Expecting them to change to accomodate you aint going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Some relatively good news at least. Bar Casey and Sheehan it looks like everyone is available for selection.

Thats the point, the tackle was ok, yes late but he was offside.

The TMO has his own replays, they don't have to be replayed in the stadium which was busy with it's lights show.

So not highlighting the injury was fine but no excuse for TMO. Also if they don't want to show injuries the Bok TV zooming in on Casey knocked out is probably not the best idea

Modern scrummaging is basically politics anyway, so its smart to get your message out there. Effective messages contain some element of truth, and honestly this one is at least partially true.

Plenty of captains of Ireland are not captain of their province at the same time. I think Best said it was too much of a workload so he didn't do Ulster after he got Ireland captain

Ireland seem to be looking for a long term captain and one of the best players, which is Doris

The issue here is the ref, not the captain. If the ref is incapable of acting like an adult and talking to a captain then they should be removed from top tier international games.

Whitehouse is a liability, any game I seen him in he wants to run the show and take over from the ref, it turns into the Whitehouse show with him missing glaring issues but finding stupid issues which he can be f**king around for minutes on replays.

In the England v Oz game it was seamless that morning, TMO decision in background, ref would call peno, one replay on screen and game went on, so it can be done. not the sh*tshow we had

Are plenty of them not even captain of their province for a single full season? That seems unusual.

Unless there is a period i'm forgetting Best was captain for ulster and ireland concurrently the whole time he was ireland captain. He definitely was at the end pre retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Pearce is in the position he's in because he's relatively good at it. Take him out and promote someone else and maybe you get someone who communicates better, but they are probably less good overall. Be careful what you wish for.

If Doris was talking to the ref a lot before he was made captain and irritated him that's an issue. I'm impressed by how on the ball Doris seems to be in picking up things in real time when everything's happening at a million miles an hour, but he has to pick his moments, and say things with the aim of getting the ref to watch out for something next time.

Brian O'Driscoll is a fairly obvious example of a guy who captained Ireland long before he got the Leinster captaincy. He took over the Ireland captaincy formally in 2003, while he didn't become Leinster captain until the start of the 05/06 season.

I like Pearse, I still think he can't talk to a captain like that.

It would be a statement to all ref's they need to talk to a captain and stop this bulls**t of declaring on the pitch they don't want to talk to them

As I said at the same time the constant chatter from players has to stop, so it goes both ways.

If Ireland have POM as captain and he is going off after 40 mins or whatever, the ref should be aware it will be Doris as captain after that and so he gets the respect, but only after POM is off. Before that Doris is just another player so no chatter

The coaching teams can talk to the ref before the game, I have seen the ref go into changing rooms beforehand to talk to the scrum

Waffling in the media is waffling in the media. Bok never seem to shut up to be honest, will be glad when this series is over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Refs should never have to tolerate players speaking rudely or dismissively to them.

Captains should never have to tolerate Refs speaking rudely if dismissively to them.

Pearse is a top class international referee who chose to rely on Whitehouse, who is not a top class international referee. The Referee is the sole arbiter of fact, not the TMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I don't see why you can put all this on the ref. Tbh. I don't think any ref would be at this level if they had anything like the attitude you seem to think some of them have.

AAll Refs go into teams before a game to speak to front row, captain, scrum half and say want they want and expect inthe game

He def captained leinster in some games before 2005 just from memory.

Either way though he was a lion and already considered one of the best irish players of all time when he was made captain.

It doesn't seem comparable to Doris who seems to have two current irish players ahead of him for the job at Leinster. Even if you said Ryan might not start, ringrose will once he gets a run of fitness again.

Also, Doris is having problems in his limited time, so its not unreasonable to let him be captain at leinster first. He has nowhere near the profile in the public or ref's eyes that BOD had.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Laughed out loud when Pearce called that penalty against us. SA player cartwheeling through our side of the ruck, perfectly fine. McCarthy laying flat on the ground, not interfering with the ruck, penalty SA.

Pearce seemed to be annoyed that multiple players were saying things to him at one stage, when he fussed out Doris. That is one area where Ireland as team could look at themselves. Bit more discipline in that respect would help to prevent getting on the wrong side of refs. I thought Pearce's treatment of Doris was totally unacceptable at that stage, and I wish Doris had said that to him. Respect is a two way street, and if the captain is having to bring up multiple things in a short space of time, it might be an indication that a ref isn't doing great. It's all well and good for a ref to realise his errors in the post game review, but it doesn't help a team who lost in part because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭irelandrover

This might sound stupid but do Ireland have too many captains on the pitch (O mahony, beirne, doris, ryan, ringrose). We have lots of players that are used to speaking to the ref. Its clearly what annoyed Pearce on Saturday as he constantly had Irish players in his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I find this is a negligent attitude in particular with Irish rugby medics, “ah he’s grand let him play on”, “ah that’s not a concussion ref, look at me Ryan you’re grand”. It’s all very hush hush and authoritarian. They use their credentials to hamper player safety because they’re driven by a ruthless rugby philosophy/mentality of winning at all costs. “Our lads are so tough they’ll play on with an injury.”

It especially started at schoolboy level with some of the big 5 schools where players were coached to play to the whistle until the strict concussion protocols were brought in. But it is still common occurrence in all the provinces and clubs around the country and I’m sick of it. When you see the condition of guys like Carl Hayman and Steve Thompson you really worry for players who are kept on the pitch when they really shouldn’t be. Frawley just two months ago in the Heineken cup was in bad nick wobbling and falling down and he was kept on and had to make another tackle while still delirious.

He did, but Doris has also captained Leinster and Ireland plenty of times before now. You're making too much out of his "problems" before now with referees - I think he himself came out and said he struggled on his very first game as Leinster captain, and he clearly had some issues on Saturday (in pretty exceptionally frustrating circumstances), but I don't think any potential Irish captain wouldn't have been frustrated then too.

He's plenty experienced to step up as Irish captain whenever POM is done, and the notion of having Beirne (32 years old) as another relatively short term captain to me doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Thats a harsh assessment of the Irish Locks skillset. Ryan > JK…but opinions and all that!

McCarthy is about 10kg too big to be an 8.

Ryan had an avg RWC and I dont think hes played very well this season.

WR just put up the RWC match!

I hope for a similar opening 42 secs this time…..

The lineout and penalty decions get worse on each viewing.

4 consecutive pens kicked to touch (lost them all!!).

5th pen kicked to touch Ryan & win. Pen SA!

its kind of amazing that Ireland still managed to win that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

There's far too much backchat creeping into rugby anyway. When I look at soccer and what goes on there with the ref, I shudder and would be well supporting of World Rugby saying as of Sep 1, any player who says anything to ref, bar the captain, is getting a yellow for first offence and a red for second. It needs to be addressed before it takes hold - and it is getting worse and worse at the moment.

Advertisement