Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial Things that annoy you - Mod Note in OP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The complete and utter intransigence of the "nobody needs a car" brigade. I have a car. I don't use it to get to work because I'm lucky enough to live and work in Dublin, in areas that are well serviced by public transport, and I don't have kids that need to be dropped to school/childminders/whatever. But not everyone's circumstances are the same, which is something these absolute doses either just can't get their heads around or refuse to accept. It's actually a bit baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Those weird tight blue shirts the Gardai are wearing now. Don't particularly want to see Garda pecs and nipples.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Charlo30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭drury..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I've used vouchers from one Tesco in another Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's infuriating!

I could get a bus to work, it would involve a 10 minute walk at both ends, waiting for a bus that might turn up so I'd have to aim for a much earlier one in the hope of getting there on time, going through rush hour traffic with numerous stops - over an hour each way versus a 15 min drive each way on back roads and I can easily do the weekly grocery shop on the way home one afternoon.

My TA is the constant recommendations of cargo bikes or cycling to work. I'm expected to look reasonably presentable, not sweaty and looking like I've been dragged through a ditch from wind and rain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

People playing crap music, or well anything, out loud on their phones on public transport. FFS get yourself some headphones and spare us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

After having 2 Discectomys and a Spinal Fusion and being pain free for over 10 years, for the past week I've had bad lower back pain. A throbbing pain. Couldn't go through another operation so really worried. I

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hopefully it's something physio can help with, my own TA is the joint pains I get lasting just long enough to make an opposing joint ache for a few more days after. This form of compensation is not appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭drury..

I picked up what is likely a tennis elbow injury a few months back

A pith this one but there's worse things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

My years of living like a king have caught up with me. As a result I have to take alopurinol for the rest of my life to prevent any future gout attacks. I’ve seriously cut down on weekend boozing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Agreed. There’s a particular cohort of non-drivers (all of whom went to TCD late 80s & early 90s) living on northside who are like this. Pretentious, uptight & very anti-car. I use public transport a lot but when I DJed in city centre pre-Covid I used to drive in. Did not want to lug records & CDs in on public transport. When I publicly expressed my opposition to making Dublin city centre car-free, a few of that lot were very critical towards me. Really opened my eyes to their intolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭spookwoman

For me to do a prescription run it means bus into town and then another back out to doctors. Bus back into town to get another to the chemists to drop it off, then back into town and then another bus home. To collect, back into town another out to chemist, back into town and another home. Each bus is roughly every 20 to 30 mins and some I would have to do a good 20min ride or more. Using the bus would take me hours to do a 20 min job and that's including to go back out to collect the prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watching England be the better team in a football match.

My boyfriend and I both drive but are big believers in and users of public transport/shank's mare.

But... we live on the Northside whereas I'm originally from the Southside. I share "custody" of a dog with my sister and we do a week on/week off. I'd dearly love to know how I'd be supposed to collect and drop her off using public transport and it's a long oul walk from Glasnevin to Templeogue and back.

What's Dublin bus policy on dogs? If it's a small dog and is carried on most drivers allow it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Get a doggy buggy (oh the shame) but I have seen them on the bus!!*

*That's not actually a real suggestion!

Or get the big blue IKEA bags, cut 4 holes in it for the legs, maybe one for the tail , technically the dog is in a bag!!

Congrats on moving in with the boyfriend!

Welcome to the Northside 😂

Small dogs are *technically* allowed, at the driver's discretion, but I have literally never seen a dog on the bus so I'm going to say it’s not really a thing. Also, my dog is not small.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Seen a good few dogs on my bus route 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah, I think you can get those cargo bikes on the 'Bike To Work' scheme. Have you heard of it? 😜

My TA is that because I'm working from home, I can't physically check something in work. I've asked my two colleagues but they can't seem to give a straight answer between them. It's not like they've done something wrong, just tell me if there's something there or not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Bredabe

In an attempt at integration, I was asked to recommend a firm wide course in the English language. I couldn't find one in the time frame available(ta1) the course was announced and those of us at a particular section were mandated to attend.

As per I was refused course notes and after a long wrestle(where I had to threaten to sue) they agreed to put up the lecture script YouTube style for me!

I copied the notes from the transcript and used the timestamp tec to remove those, and spent ages and ages reading and rereading the info so I could put the information in the correct sections on an A4 page so it looked like a book page.

Lls some of the people on the course are now complaining that I had an advantage over the rest as I was given notes bc I have a learning label.

Ta3 bc I deal with this kind of crap over and over, I sourced the info, sourced the tec, read and reread and edited the info, running off the info at my own expense so I could interact physically with it, which not only cost me money but showed me down by about 4 days.

But yea, poor you having to sit in a lecture and remember what you hear and take notes you can read(unlike me) and dash it off a few hours ahead of the deadline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😈

How much I wish ppl like this would just check their PRIVILAGE, ahead of pointing fingers.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Bredabe

A few years ago I got off the train at a station with a similar sounding name as the one I should have, was dosed up on antihistamines and was finding it hard to think straight and lost in a non-town bc of COVID-19. I was trapped as I couldn't find a taxi service, didn't have signal and their tourist office was closed. It was a 20-mile drive to the destination so that was out as well. Basically, it was really really scary.

Since then I haven't really gotten my confidence back for situations like that, which is horrifying for me but little I can do currently about that.

So chatting to a friend the other night, they asked if I was going to stay in Ireland this year and I said I didn't know and was a bit unsure after what happened in the situation above, they then suggested that I could go to a city south of my current position or a touristy town to the north.

Ta yet another person who can't see how scary that experience was/ completely misses the subtext of the conversation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Missed most of the cricket this morning. Tuned in at lunch to watch highlights and discussion of the mornings play.

But 95% of the lunch broadcast isn’t about cricket but a charitable organisation that’s having a themed day at the ground….

You won’t have thought that there was a game on at all. The charity theme is mentioned about 2859 times over the course of the 5 day broadcast….and it’s seemingly not a gap in play can be found without it being given air time, but is it maybe, possible, the sport might be discussed ? 😵‍💫 literally a 3 minute footnote out of 40

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Needmoretea

Its not so bad, and you can jump into the shower when you're finished your run. The TA is when you're wearing glasses in the rain while running or doing any sport. Now that is a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Do you not have a chemist close to home or your doctors?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Can we let people have their TAs without them feeling that they have to explain and justify them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭spookwoman

There is but owned by a group I don't want to do business with and I would still have to take multiple buses and multiple trips to drop off and pick up by bus when weather is bad. It's still quicker by car and more convenient especially if the prescription is missing items and I have to go back. At least where it is at the moment is on the route we take for the weekly shop so I can collect it on run.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

mother and daughter or maybe sisters but the pair of them walking around the glassware section of a busy ikea, filming each other and their surroundings paying no mind and people carrying glassware and shopping.. and just trying to walk without enjoying having to take aversive manoeuvres to get out of the way of this pair of eejits.... its a big homeware shop.. not Disney... pair of weirdos… put your phones away and look where you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

we've had road-works near me for the last 2+years…FINALLY theyre done,about 4miles of beautiful,smooth tarmac,perfect! also a new,wide cycle lane,again pefect,smooth,brand new tarmac,this thing is worthy of pampered royalty,theres not so much as even a pebble on its surface!its even seperated from the road and the footpath with a wee kerb,the annoyance is…

why the fuurk do cyclists NOT use the brand new,perfect,beautiful,wide,smooth,probably massively expensive cycle lane?now im in no huge rush going anywhere,live and let live and all that but fuuuuuk!flocks of them at weekends,in a big bunch like a tour d france,same during weekdays except into the mix of the tour d france crowd and electric scooter yokes youve those old time shop/cargo bikes wobbling along and them newer ones with the trailer on the back,both usually topped up with 2 or 3 kids in/on them,all in the middle of the fecking road….why!!!!!!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?