Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Glorious morning in Cork. Although it's only about 18 degrees, I'd take weather like this for the rest of the summer instead of any heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Have to agree here, Oranmore lovely, dry and warm. ☺️

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

we regularly have had reports of warmest months on record in ireland in recent times and it gets an article here and there, nothing major. there's no conspiracy here so that you have to pay more tax, as much as you all like to think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Thats a load of bull , rte have a whole section dedicated to climate change reporting FFS so saying it gets an article here and there is just rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gilly1910

Ha ha, if Eamonn is happy with me, then it's all worth it 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another filthy pigmuck day here in Meath, it's been raining close to 48 hours now. I'm so done with this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The warmest month on record recordings get an article in each news outlet.

Climate change however is kind of a big deal so RTE having a section on it is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

Today was meant to be ok with 19-20 degrees here in south Wicklow (according to yr.no yesterday) . Currently 15 degrees, windy, grey and spitting rain. It's so dark for mid summer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rained here last n8ght but windy n cool today. 14.6c. This is a fake Summer. It's called Summer but it's a fraud. It could be any month.. any season. Apart from the fact its bright till 11pm. The nights here have been as cold as Winter and days only 13 or 14c bar 6 days since June 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Beautiful July day, west Mayo,costa del cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The seasons are getting less defined as each year passes.

In the future I would guess Ireland will have one type of weather all year long. Mild and damp.

Ya I was dreading that and looked at the CFS model for the craic. CompleteFuckingShite it stands for but it did predict a cool Summer which I got ridiculed for mentioning. It now shows low pressure living in Ireland till the kids go back to school. Possibly worse weather than now.

We are possibly stuck in a rut that could go on months until a mild High Pressure settles over us in December and it's 15c on Xmas day.

However I do notice also that different areas of the world have extreme heat now each year and this year I was saying to my family I'd say its the US turn this year so our turn will come again be it in one year or 5!

Also a Split day today

Winter in half the country and late Spring in the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it not accepted that weather forecasting outside of 10 days is a guess?

Surely noone can say with any certainty at all that Sept will be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In terms of running averages, Dunsany and Claremorris are having their coldest opening third to July since 1990.

Casement and Dublin Apt having their coldest since 2004. Cork Apt and Belmullet a bit more recent since 2011 and 2020 respectively.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day in Kerry.

Bromore Cliffs short time ago.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

slowly brightening up in N Kildare 15°c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Was in Dublin this morning, 12c cold wet and miserable. In Galway this afternoon, sunny, warm and possibly not far off 19c or 20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Still wet for some. Good to see the sun is shining elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

has brightened here considerably and sun is out. Still that fresh wind there so it’s ok in a sheltered spot but there’s no feeling of balmy or summer really in it. Are the winds predominately northerly at the moment or what’s causing it to feel so cold all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Northwesterly winds have often been coming long-fetched from the North Atlantic which has seen a rapid cooling in recent weeks around western Europe forming almost a horseshoe shape of cold and is completely different to the past two years.

It's a bit different to some other poor summers we've had in that it's largely been +NAO since mid-June with a strong Azores high/Icelandic low when normally a poor summer often is associated with Icelandic or Greenland blocking high pressure. This may be the reason why it hasn't been exceptionally wet despite being as cool as it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

thanks sryan for a brilliant explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gilly1910

You're sweating in 18 degrees, what would you be like if the mercury hit 25 degrees or higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Was briefly sunny here in carrick but hope it will be a nice evening , mad that the far west and southwest are sunny while ⅔ of us are under cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I was digging and planting trees. I was also fixing a stone wall that had collapsed. I probably wouldn't do that work in 25C+

Had a lovely sea swim near Spiddal since then so it's all good.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

you know the weather is crap when your automatic lights on the car have stayed on this two days 🙈

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

even in the UK it's been a much cooler summer than what they are used to. Normally they get 15 to 17C monthly values between June and August but they are barely scrapping 14C averages since June.

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

After a warm winter and very mild Spring, Summer is very much the most prolonged chilly period around these parts in a long time. It's entirely possible we could finish up with a cooler than average July. We already have the cooler than average June. When is the last time we had 2 cooler than average months back to back, my guess it's been a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Beautiful, thanks .

Cheered me up on this damp grey 13 degree day in Dublin !

Impressed with your garden squarecircles 👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Billcarson

In the uk it'd been the coldest early part of July since 1996 and before that 1978

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yet people in this country will say what global warming?? - without taking into consideration the wind direction we have had for many weeks. If people expect warm temperatures from air coming from a cold direction good luck to them 😄

Advertisement