Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Air Hostess Allegedly Domestically Abused In Dubai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

As you say domestic abuse situations are rarely logical. I'm sure friends and family tried to get/keep to her away from the apartment and were unsuccessful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

”Like most other domestic violence victims, Tori returned home hoping the behaviour would stop.”

From one of the articles. It was not an isolated incident but one of several. Obviously doesn’t make it her fault but it’s not as simple as one person losing control all of a sudden and taking the other by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

People need to learn the truth about Dubai, despite all the fake glitz and glamour, the laws of the country are strongly linked to Islam. As and we as all know, Islam does not consider as humans and this has been demonstrated many times.

I hope she gets all the help she needs ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

also the dribble about Sinn Fein and MLMD is predictable but moronic. Legally in the Dubai system she has no hope. Kicking up enough of a fuss to generate as much negative publicity as possible about the case/Dubai is the only thing that might save her. The fact the English have now picked up on it is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Lead story on VIRGIN media news just now -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Simon Harris has announced that the travel ban has been lifted and the Irish embassy will be looking after the woman in question and getting her home when she’s ready to do so.

Per a tweet from gavan Reilly.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

https://x.com/gavreilly/status/1811004132066537760

She is now to be allowed to travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Her travel ban is lifted and she'll hopefully be home soon -

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0710/1459119-tori-towey-dubai/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will they send the government jet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I know which means we're perfectly placed as a country to point out how religion holds back a country , helps suppress women's rights and how it isn't a good thing.

This should result in our supposed feminists here despising another religion which is resulting in horrific treatment of women but it doesn't.

A large proportion of modern western feminists hate christianity but won't hear a word against Islam, it's bizarre.

Fair play to the Government though as they seem to have acted fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

100% agree.

I was in Dubai and I was shocked at the place. Modern slavery is the only way to describe how they treat migrant workers. As for the treatment of women, I was horrified.

Places like the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Palestine are not welcoming places for women.

The world is full of hypocrites and some can't even hide it. They'll call out stuff that is happening somewhere and not even see similar things that are happening in front of their eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭Ted222

Warnings at the point of sale rather than consideration. The fact that warnings are even necessary illustrates what an unpleasant place it really is.

My point is that the government shouldn’t be encouraging ties to the region. The Taoiseach vowing to intervene is sadly laughable and too late. These people do what they like. If the Taoiseach really wants to take a stand, he should adopt of discouraging people from having anything to do with the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

That's down to their own internalised racism.

Muslims are mostly brown people, which in their minds makes them victims, so nothing they do is their own fault so they can do absolutely anything without being held responsible for it and anyone critical of that behaviour is a racist or Islamaphobe because it's easier to pick on white people for perceived phobic responses than to call out the barbaric nature of Islam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Since the travel ban has been lifted, I would say the Department of Foreign Affairs handled it pretty well tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hopefully a good end to the story, but this should be a clear warning to everyone thinking about working in that sh!thole of a country. Yes, you'll make your money, but you're funding this carry on. I don't care if they change in the future, fact is right now this caveman level of control that religion has in that country should immediately put anyone off going day, especially women and non-straight people. But it won't. The lure of the fake glam and "easy" money will continue to draw in people who only care about themselves. So I expect to see more stories like this in the future.

While I feel sorry for her situation, I can't say I feel sorry for her overall, for the above reasons. Plenty of similar examples of this happening for years, but she still decided to go there. Call it victim blaming if you will, but a decision was made that this country was worth living in at some point. I was tempted by Emirates a few times myself over the years, but the fact they're UAE based was enough to stop me from every applying. Some people take the risk regardless. So I don't have sympathy in that regard. I see where Jequ0n is coming from, as one would say "well if it isn't the consequences of your actions", those actions being having a lifestyle in a backwards country, marrying someone from a third country quickly and quietly… seems like a series of bad decisions led to the current situation, and one which without the flapping from MaryLou she'd probably be locked up over there by now. So yeah, feel sorry she got bet up and everything else, but that crap happens in the UAE…

But it's ok, looks like there's enough people on here to feel sorry for her so mine isn't needed. I'm sure all the empathetic people on here know exactly what it's like to marry a south african in UAE and get beat up, assaulted, try to take your own life and subsequently get arrested for it. Yup, so many people have gone through the exact same they can all be totally understand and share the feels with her. She has my sympathy for this situation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭JVince

and there had been a lot of work done over the past few weeks too - this just pushed it over the line as UAE want the story to go away quickly.

Would be interesting to know if her husband (soon to be ex) is still working with Emirates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

“Ms McDonald said Ms Towey has been held captive by her abuser in Dubai and that he tried to strangle her on 28 June.”

Fcking pr1ck- hope he rots in a prison there for the rest of his miserable life- oh wait no, he’ll get a medal for being a model male citizen and for upholding the great values of the Koran

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0710/1459119-tori-towey-dubai/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Well done, to all involved in making this happen.

Come home Tori.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

Never a chance of anything but a quick resolution, Sheik Mohammed and his family with millions invested in his racing empire here in the curragh versus some south African filth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Your position is somewhat contradictory: how do you expect people to know this as widely as possible if, every time it happens to someone, the reactions is "Well what else did she expect?" If it isn't widely publicised, people won't know. Especially considering how the UAE states have a habit of misleading potential expats by letting them believe that they are modern and tolerant. I remember a British woman who was served alcohol on a local airline on one of those countries and was then arrested on arrival for having alcohol in her bloodstream.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If people do some research they'll find some of these rules also apply to men and indeed some of the lobbying to get them modernised comes from places like India who have a lot of people in Dubai. Because these laws have the effect of people not seeking help when it comes to suicide prevention. I think that's the reason there has been a change in approach to some of these laws. But obviously Its overlaps and compounded with other issues in countries that are not democracies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

What says a lot to me is the type of people who either praise or call Dubai a home/second home. The likes of the Tates (Andrew and Tristan) and the rest of the so called "red pill" shitbags love the place. So that alone should be a warning to people especially women as to what type of place it is.

I have young kids and I'll be warning them to stay well away from places like that when they are older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Well done Mary Lou. She got it sorted. She just has to figure out how to take credit now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Wonderful news and great work by all involved, Mary Lou definitely deserves a nod.

thought this was interesting

Speaking on the same programme, Radha Stirling said she had validated the charges Ms Towey is facing with the Department of Public Prosecutions in Dubai.

"So, there's been no differences to the charges . . . which is very bizarre since they allegedly decriminalised attempted suicide in the past couple of years."

She said the UAE has also promoted that it has decriminalised alcohol consumption, "so, it's quite surprising that they would proceed to charge...take her to court knowing that she obviously needs help, needs to just go home with her family."

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

Advertisement