Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

• 10-07-2024 1:28pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭

2024 thread for the the general team discussion. Match threads should be used for games involving the Senior Mens Team.

Match threads for other teams will only apply where volumes of posts make it worthwhile.

----

The old thread was not working and it was almost as hard to find a new post as it was to find a new manager.

Anyway, old thread linked below:

Post edited by DM_7 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Be an exciting race will we get a manager before this thread craps itself into glitchblivion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Will we get a new manager before we get another new thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wow.

The ex Iceland manager has been announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Heimir Hallgrímsson.

… I don't know. Ok? Good? Meh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Eh who ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Heimir Hallgrímsson!

All Hail Heimir Hallgrímsson!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

The FAI must be praised for this

No leaks to media or his name was never mentioned

Seems to be suitale to our requirments

Will we star doing the Ireland Clap at matches, or is that something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

8 months that took. He was obviously the 57th choice and first one to say yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭waywill1966

probably the cheapest option knowing the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Iceland played very dour football anytime I saw them play

Fits the budget and got a small country qualified for a major tournament before.

Ticks alot of boxes even if not exactly an A-lister but we're never in for one of those tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is this manager dyslexic and got confused with offer and contact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Who??

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not filling me with much hope that "football manager" seems to be his second profession

EDIT: Also I know it's one of you in here editing his wiki!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

And people were questioning Kenny's credentials….

The HSE are helping cover his salary by paying the dentist part of his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

there’s only one heimir hallgrimsson…sounds like minor character in Vikings…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

I hope that the filling pun was intentional. It was on a plate for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Looking at his wiki, it looks like he got Jamaioca to Copa America too?

Sounds pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I mean, he was the obvious candidate. Clearly.

Right?

Anyway, thank God that awful saga is now over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

New thread just before announcement, DM_7 with the inside info

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yes, they'd a tough group including Suriname, Cuba and Grenada…

In fairness their profile of player is much the same as ours, not really anyone playing at a decent level.

I think what's happened here is one of the Rovers players cracked a tooth yesterday during the match and things got out of hand fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Wow! Saw it on Facebook and thought it was a wind up. No idea what to make of it. He's appointed now, so time to get behind him I guess. One good thing to note, he won't have any loyalty to the likes of the McCleans or the Brady's based on their "past accomplishments". I'd imagine he'll select players purely on quality. Questions still need to be asked about the FAI's role in this. Where they really waiting for end of the Copa America for Jamaica to make this appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Interesting choice alright. Did well with Iceland.

I never got that logic. LWB was a pit of woe. Other than Brady/McClean there was only Enda Stevens or Callum O'Dowda. McClean was picked because he WAS (might still be) the best LB. Heimar can't sign a better LB so is stuck with probably Doherty out left which has never been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Same. The picture looks like some guys dad on the windup.

What a waste of 200+ days arguing about all the favourites because no one ever mentioned this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

He was in sole charge when he lead Iceland to the 2018 World Cup, that in itself is a serious achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Good appointment. He qualified Iceland and Jamaica for major tournaments so seems to fit the bill for what the FAI stated they were looking for.

The media really hadn't a clue with the names that were linked throughout the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Really not sure what to make of this appointment.

It might be that I'm glad the search is over but it's an appointment that is just a mystery to me. I'm glad it's not some of the names or betting favs like JOS, Lennon, etc we've seen in a while but I'm also not very clued into who he is.

The only real positive here is that he is an international manager with experience of getting teams like us to major tournaments in Iceland albeit a couple of years ago and Jamaica to Copa albeit with a poor group. That said, he got Jamaica past Canada who have been a good team to watch in Copa this month. It's the sort of appointment I've wanted for Ireland to have, a manager with international experience and getting teams to tournaments.

Big job ahead of him.

Iceland, Ireland and Jamaica.

The man loves a good coastline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

you have to laugh

because this is embarrassing

no direspect to Íþróttabandalag Vestmannaeyja

In fact I've total respect for what Iceland have managed to do for soccer in their country

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/30/volcano-iceland-national-football-team

but that doesn't make this man suitable for the job.

FAI made a balls of the recruitment

and they will try and feed the line that this was their masterplan all along!!!

to revolutionise the game with an Icelandic manger.

Do you think they've made all the higher paid players agree to subsidize his wages by getting their veneers done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Highly doubt they were waiting till after Copa to appointment Hallgrímsson. Technically resigned as Jamaica manager but would say he probably resigned before he was pushed. Canham likely reached out to him in the last ten days about the job.

He'd want to be mad to resign voluntarily from the Jamaica job, who'll likely be playing at the '26 WC for the Ireland job.

FAI HQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Heimir Hallgrímsson , only a little bit grim, but hopefully chances of a fairy-tale ending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Seriously?

Heimir is hardly the most inspiring of appointments but he has levels above Kenny in terms of international managerial experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Happy enough with that to be fair. Good international experience and seems to know how to work with limited teams.

Considering our tough nations league and that we are nowhere near the quality level of WC qualification, its seems like a good time to give this type of appointment a try.

• Advertisement

Yeah like without doing cartwheels, he has successful international experience qualifying for major tournaments.

How on earth does that not make him more qualified than Kenny?

I dunno, I suppose some people were always going to react no matter who got it.

FAI Director of Football Marc Canham commented, “We are thrilled to announce Heimir as our new Head Coach. Earlier this year, we identified Heimir as our number one candidate whose capabilities and experience aligned with our criteria. Not only does Heimir have significant experience at international level with two different countries, but crucially he also has a track record of qualifying for major international tournaments and taking teams up the FIFA World rankings.

“It was also important for us that we recruited a Head Coach who is interested in the overall development of football in Ireland as outlined in the FAI’s football pathways plan and in particular someone who is interested in the development of our underage international teams both of which Heimir is hugely passionate about.

“I also want to thank and pay tribute to John O’Shea and his staff who have guided the team through recent friendly internationals preparing the team impeccably, creating a brilliant environment for the players and achieving positive results on the pitch.”

So apparently this was months in the making. Yeah right. Wondered what happened in April to the so-called appointment being made.

But Iceland were a limited team with an FA behind them lauded for it's hard work and professional approach. I worry poor Heimir doesn't know what he is getting into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

He qualified a team from a nation of 300k people to a World Cup finals.

To be fair if there's one FA that's even worse than ours it's Jamaica, this might actually feel like a step up in professionalism for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Maybe the FAI hope he can use his experience with a competent FA to sort out the administration as well as the team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I said on the old thread that I wanted the manger to be someone I never heard of before, because I thought they needed something new rather than the same old names being mentioned.

And boy did they deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Happy with that, important to have a coach with international experience. I couldn't care less about style of football, need to get back to actually winning games.

I don't know what names people were expecting, it's a job no one really wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

He helped bring Iceland to the euro quarter finals and steered them to a world cup as well. He has way more experience than Kenny ever had so **** it let's get behind him

• Advertisement
Advertisement