Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gladiator 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is probably Mescal's biggest role to date, he has picked good arty indie roles but this is a biggie

Normal People made stars of him and Daisy

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭mcgragger

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

Central to the appeal of Gladiator was that it was a revival of the sword and sandal epic genre that was long dead by 2000 (revivals of dormant genres was a bit of a thing at the time—Titanic harks back to 70s disaster movies and the romance films of Classic Hollywood, Saving Private Ryan to WW2 epics, The Phantom Menace to, um, boring space films). English accents and classical scores are conventional in Hollywood movies about the ancient world (it was rumoured Crowe had to be talked out of doing a Spanish accent in the original). Audiences associate those things with historical, rural, and rustic fantasy settings, because those are traditional in films with such settings. Rap music, on the other hand, is an intrinsically modern urban form. The problem isn’t that rap isn’t appropriate to the time perid; it’s that rap is not appropriate to the genre.

(I have no issue with Denzel being in it, those complaints are just the usual suspects)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I remember Alexander, taking its lead from Colin Farrell's Irish accent, give all the Macedonians Irish accents and English accents to the Greeks.

For comparison, here's the trailer from upcoming Amazon Prime series "Those About To Die", which is also about an Emperor (Anthony Hopkins) and gladiators in ancient Rome. Welsh actor Iwan Rheon is the main character, this is not his normal accent at all, gone very English. Also uses rather jarring non classical music in the trailer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fun fact, but IIRC the reason why Crowe played "The Spaniard" was because the part was originally written for Antonio Banderas; they recast but never bothered changing the script to something more believable when Crowe came on-board. OPen to correction and too lazy to google to confirm 😂

Sword and Sandals epics are one of those genres that definitely ebb and flow in terms of popularity;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Thought it looked absolutely brilliant. Can’t wait

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

i think Spartacus had all Americans as the rebel slaves and English as the Romans. I think they might even have swapped some actors around for that reason

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Heck why stop there: look at Star Wars and 'til recently, note the accent of every single Imperial Officer. English accents work either as catchall for any historical, euro accent - or bad guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'll drink to that

Do we know if Denzel's character has any sort of African background, or is it just 'colour-blind casting'?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Just what the world has been waiting for. A sequel to a movie that never needed one set in ancient Rome with a bloody hip hop soundtracked trailer.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Going by his clothing and he seemed to be doing a bit of a generic "African" accent, I'm gonna go ahead and guess he's some import from Rome's African colonies; maybe some former slave who made his way up the ladder? We know Rome ruled quite a large stretch of the continent's Northern coast, so TBH I'd not even blink at his presence given that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I thought the reasoning behind different accents was that they were meant to represent the various regions of Macedonia which makes sense, it just sounds weird as it seems like you walked into The Big Tree after a game at Croke Park.

Stone had an idea of the Macedons being 'Celtic' I think… maybe there were more subtle distinctions than that with the accents I missed.

I thought Christopher Plummer as Aristotle had standard English accent which emphasised the distinction between 'educated' Greek and the Macedonians.

A decision derived from the director’s conviction that a strand of Celticness linked the Irish and Macedonian peoples… Stone argued that the deliberate selection of Irish accents over the more “parochial” and “ornate” English syntax was intended to replicate the boisterous demeanour of Celtic men

https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/viewfinder/articles/alexander-stoned-irish-masculinity-and-violence-in-oliver-stones-alexander-2004/#:~:text=Defending%20his%20decision%20to%20afford,got%20poetry%20in%20it%20and

A similar approach to accents was taken with Death of Stalin: again English accented actors but (apparently) each matched to the equivalent locale in Russia to get across the character's respective origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Denzel was not mentioned by me so I'm not sure who that other poster is referring to.

For me it is quite simple; this film should be treating itself with the same level of respect that the people marketing Dune respected their film. Based on this trailer they don't seem to be taking it seriously at all so I'm sure why the audience will by paying for a ticket.

Perhaps I'm just a little irked given I loved what Zimmer and Gerrard did with the first soundtrack. There's no reason why the soundtrack for this one wouldn't be ready for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The thing with Gladitor was it had to no right to be as good as it ended up being.

I personally love a lot of Scotts work: Alien, The directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven, even the last duel is favourite of mine.

BUT!

Scott is 86 and probably should have hung up his boots a few years ago. Napoleon finished him for me. To take the story of one of the complex and interesting people in history and reduce him to that pile of sh1te is unforgivable. I personally think Gladiator 2 will be more of the same vein. Most likely a carbon copy of the original, with the combat scenes now moving from probable to pure fantasy. In the original, the cast carried what was not a great script, i feel too much expectation will be on Denzel and Pedro to do the same this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Horrible trailer imo. Totally at odds with the feel of the first movie. It's as of they don't get what made Gladiator great. It wasnt the battles, the Colloseum or the tigers. Those were just FX. The real brilliance of the first film was the way they really made a silk purse from a sow's ear when it came to the script. It was more than just a summer action movie. It was a story about a family man trying to get back to the family he lost.

The era that allowed Gladiator to be made is gone. Hollywood is too silly and ridiculous these days. Its all focus groups, diversity / gender quotas and assorted nonsense. Anything but make a quality film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

Gladi….

Haunis.

Looks like they just put the original back in a blender. Should never have touched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭jj880

"Well I wouldn't would I? Because Im dead" 🤣

Have a swig of Muff Russell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The real Macrinus was a Berber from north africa. Though he was also a praetorian prefect not a slave merchant or whatever he appears to be here.

Nothing particularly unusual about it in the roman empire though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Did dudes ride rhinos around in the colosseum? They probably had them in there but I'm not sure they could ride them around like they did in the trailer. Also, the emperor actor is trying too much, nothing will beat Joaquin Phoenix's performance.

Seems a big step up in roles for the actor (Joseph Quinn) playing the Emperor… I've mostly seen him in TV miniseries, not many film roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

The movie literally nobody wanted. I guess they have ran out of Marvel characters to milk movies out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Macrinus was also quite a popular surname name during the period, like Marcus would have been as a forename, so it merely could be a name that Washington's character chose or his family chose.

The thing is, as you say, a black character isn't at all out of place in Rome. Nor is it "colour blind" casting. The Romans expanded all over the place and absorbed many different peoples and their countries. Once absorbed into the Empire, those people were then subject to taxation and with taxation came citizenship. This meant that you could, in theory, travel anywhere within the Empire if you had the means or a viable way of making a living.

So some lad from North Africa could easily end up trading on the streets of the Roman capital. The only barrier would have been his knowledge of Greek. From the time of Alexander to the end of the 4th Century Greek was the common tongue around the Mediterranean. A good command of Greek and a bit of business acumen and you could go places, as it were.

Greek was to antiquity what English is to the world today. But it fell out of favour with the Roman world when the Empire split into "western" and "eastern". Greek became the "eastern" tongue and therefore less fashionable amongst the always fashion conscious Romans and Latin, the language of officialdom, began to become more widely spoken.

As an aside, the real life Marcus Nonius Macrinus was one of the main inspirations for Russell Crowe's character in the original 'Gladiator'.

Unfortunately woke tourettes is immune to such facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Will still watch the movie no matter what critics say, but what an earth were they thinking with that trailer….and who are they trying to appeal to exactly.

I'm sure the people behind the movie aren't the same people who decide on trailer direction but how could a bunch of people sit around a room and say yep, this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In fairness, the trailer with sound looks pants. The trailer without sound doesn't look half bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Sure anyone that remembers the original teaser for Gladiator way back when with it's pure Poledouris probably recalls that little twinge of disappointment that it didn't follow through to subsequent trailers or indeed the film itself.

Thankfully the OST became on the most loved in cinema history.

Yes, the use of the track in the new trailer sucks, but the bottom line is, it won't be in the final feature, and I'd be far more concerned about it potentially being a bloated, CGI rehash with a director that has, shall we say, somewhat lost his way of late, revisiting a classic that perhaps should have been left alone.

But we shall see........hopefully it turns out well.

• Advertisement

I watched the trailer without sounding on my phone and it looked absolutely fine; didn't get the criticism til I watched it on a larger screen, with sound later on and it's funny the difference it can leave.

Advertisement