Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options
1853854855856857859»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

“Or we could talk about how many women and children are being raped and tortured because of the hard borders we already have?”

Your suggestion that people are being raped and tortured as a consequence of Ireland’s border policies is nothing short of outrageous.

Utter sensationalism, a dangerous and untruthful charge to lay at the feet of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Firstly we all know that photo and what that tragedy stands for , so thats a cop out .

Secondly I have never ever said "squeeze everyone in" , thats bs , I am very much for more control and have always said that. Some like to call those that disagree " open borders brigade" and " all welcome here crowd" . This is just a way of othering people so you do not have to discuss or take their views seriously . Or trying to dogwhistle others to pile on .

As to reasonable discussion I have tried over and over to counter and discuss, but it is repetition and fruitless because the same rants are appearing every day .

This is you in the above post trying to deflect again from you encouraging extreme viewpoints from others without calling them out , and yet saying you are reasonable and moderate .

If you were, you would be just as vocal against those posts as you are against some of the rest of us here .

The repetition here is particularly grinding .

Continuous posts about tents and adult males and tents and wherever people are moved to isn't right for various reasons , so they should end up back in tents ...or no tents according to some .

Discussion about dilution of culture and theories about plantation are beyond comment at this stage . They are conspiracy theories put forward by far right groups from the KKK to the BNP and if people here want to discuss and support that , it is not what I want to be involved in , thank you .

It is depressing and out of proportion with the current refugee situation .

I suggest that many of us could and would be better employed on another more general thread ...but there would be no cosy echo chamber to rely on .

Would suit me and megaman well , not so sure about you though .

Goodbye and good luck . I suppose spending time posting here on this thread has shown me that although boards is a pretty decent forum generally , even it has its dark areas , ones that are best avoided , for me anyhow .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've already provided details. Figures show 40 adults and 8 children died trying to get here last year.

It will be more this year, and likely more again due to further visa restrictions.

After that there's plenty of evidence of children being raped and abused on migrant routes throughout Europe and in Ireland.

https://www.noteworthy.ie/kids-in-care-lost-in-europe-6365422-Apr2024/

https://reliefweb.int/report/italy/hundreds-migrant-children-face-abuse-european-borders

https://www.esri.ie/system/files/publications/BKMNEXT145.pdf

https://www.lenus.ie/bitstream/handle/10147/86601/SeparatedChildrenProjectReport.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

https://www.unicef.org/eca/emergencies/refugee-and-migrant-children-europe

https://www.savethechildren.net/news/children-migrating-europe-experience-horrific-rates-violence-abuse-and-trauma-report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

And it’s Ireland’s border policies to blame for that?

We refuse shockingly few entrants as things stand and send back even fewer

What is your alternative suggestion that would stop the people torturing and raping because of Ireland as you say?

If people can't fly here they have to come through these migrant routes.

We have a choice to allow people to come here safely and still process their asylum applications.

Further than that we can also use our voice within Europe to say enough to these false narratives that hard border controls are the answer, highlighting they've already failed, and look for solutions that tackle the push factors.

In fairness some in Europe are already advocating for this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/world/europe/2024/07/01/europe-cannot-build-a-wall-in-mediterranean-to-stop-migration-says-eu-commissioner/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

We can work with Europe, from a position within the EU, to help make the passage for asylum seekers safer and more fluid.

Thats not what that link is about, bluesky .

Its about finding ways to stem the flow .

"The only way to really manage migration in a sustainable way is to address the root causes of migration, to provide opportunities for young people.” More development aid and investment was needed to improve things like education and health services, as well as transport and digital infrastructure in Africa" .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That's just throwing away money. No matter how much you give them the money will not get to where it is needed or address the issues, it will all be siphoned off by corrupt governments their officials and anyone else involved so that when the money gets to where it is needed it is nothing but pennies.

Well thats like saying "we can't stop them coming".

The answer is somewhere in between . Its no point throwing the hands up in despair .

To be fair I don't disagree with you about corruption , but certain safequards can be built in .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

We can stop them coming by making it difficult for them to enter the country and not accepting the "sorry boss, I lost my passport or have no documents excuse", if this means they go into some field with a tent and they have to stay there till they are processed then so be it. Make coming here without the proper documentation as unpalatable as possible for those who want to try it, come here with the right documentation then come on in.

As for sending money over to them, this has been going on for decades and still nothing has improved, nothing, if anything it has gotten worse. So maybe if money is being sent it comes with stringent stipulations to stop it being siphoned off before it gets where it needs to go. We can't tell these countries how to run themselves but we can put in these stipulations so the money gets to where it goes or it gets reduced till those siphoning off the money get the message and it is all countries that send money to these countries that need to do that.

• Advertisement

How about reducing/ restricting funds in line with the amount of that country's citizens seeking asylum ? Like , get your house in order .

I foresee this as not being country by country though . EU wide is my guess .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thanls GG. And very true, but of course very difficult to implement and sustain.

It certainly has to be part of the solution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It just dawned on me, these are the cantankerous people on this thread day in day out repeating the same mantra…the zombified not worth reading let alone debating, only good for putting on ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Juran

Ireland has the best border wall there is out there, its called the deep cold Atlantic ocean surrounding us. But even that doesnt seem to work. So not a hope any physical wall will prevent illegal immigrants getting into Europe.

Our Island can be compared with Japan in terms of geography of and Island or say Singapore in terms or populatiion size. But they don't have a problem with illegal immigration and false Asylum seekers. Reason ? Strict policies, enforcement of those policies. And guess what? It works !

Do you have anything to back up these claims about the effectiveness of the Japanese system?

As far as I'm aware people just just don't try to go there.

Actually if you read the article much of it is about moving away from existing aid models and encouraging businesses development between Africa and Europe.

In hindsight I think the decision to refuse Morocco entry to the EU in the nineties was a big mistake.

Might have led to a whole other path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You typed all that out, yet you didn't answer the question

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Couldn't agree more and yet another example of the very loose language thrown about and at other Irish citizens who have the temerity to question just what is happening and what the long term consequences at. It's so easy to label anyone who has reservations as 'far right' or 'racist' etc etc. Those perpetuating this line of reasoning do themselves no favours at all. It actually has the reverse effect as how can you take other more reasonable points they make, anyway seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You see now we agree - I wrote 'reduce the flow' and you refer to 'stem the flow'. It is possible to see many various angles on these matters and then decide which ones need more emphasis than others. Personally I've donated money to self help charities over the years, on the principle that you help people learn skills and acquire stock so they can support themselves. I'm all for our government helping in same manner, to a given agreed budget, whilst keeping an eagle eye on local corruption.

That philosophy requires people to stay in their home states and help to build them up by actively contributing. So I don't think it's either helpful to those states or to us, to have people leaving these states, coming here to provide a cheap labour force and so they acquire in time the trappings of a western way of life.

We need a carrot & stick approach, both deployed together and at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I think I remember you suggesting before that we should hire boats and go to Africa to pick up people to bring back here and house. Absolutely absurd. Are you trolling?

The asylum seekers coming here are coming from safe countries and we're now paying them to leave! Not even the Irish government, as reckless as it is, agrees with you.

You're clearly advocated for the removal of immigration laws so that more people can claim asylum here. I really cannot overstate how ridiculous it is to suggest we shouldn't have immigration laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭briangriffin

The problem with people from the far left is that they cannot see any flaws in their virtuous outlook of the world, they can only see issues through their own inflated sense of self righteousness and moral superiority. The glib reference to how dare they seek asylum from extreme poverty when you can't tell how many are coming here with genuine applications.

We once had a politician in ireland say the following " the patience of the Irish people would be very tested if they knew the ‘cock and bull’ stories being given by people looking for asylum. " our policy then changed to sending out tweets referencing our white paper to end direct provosion in multiple languages, which offered own door accomadation to applicants. A significant pull factor and a weak government which did nothing to stem the tide. We had an asylum refusal rate of up to 90% a decade ago which has flipped to 30% in 2022 and back up to 60% in 2023. We are known worldwide as a soft touch a fact acknowledged by the Israeli minister who said Palestinians "can go to Ireland or the desert". Ukranian refugees are down over 40% since the government changed the social welfare payments in early 2024. https://www.newstalk.com/news/social-welfare-is-too-generous-to-refugees-ukrainian-mother-1395919

It has been claimed in the Dail that the vast majority of Georgians coming here are economic migrants by this far right agitator.. https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/varadkars-remarks-on-asylum-seekers-branded-gas-lighting-and-dangerous/38657818.html

The UK took in an average of about 40,000 asylum applicants in the 3 years prior to brexit. Of course the number we take is relevant it impacts communities around the country our population is 5 million odd the UK population is 68 million that's X 14 of our population. Facilities, housing, health care, education are all needed when you parachute 100s of people into towns and villages inorganically. If you land 100s of men from many different cultures with many different values, with nothing to do integration and social cohesion will suffer.

Asylum seekers cannot seek asylum for reasons of "extreme poverty" Nigeria a country that has seen a huge influx of asylum seekers here has 80 million people living in extreme poverty, there are nearly a billion people worldwide living in extreme poverty. How many should come to ireland? Can ireland solve poverty worldwide with billions living in poverty? How many millions of poverty stricken people should we house in ireland annually and how do we pay for them?

I don't know what you're talking about regarding sending boats to Africa. Looks like you're just making things up to deflect tbh.

I'm not at all 'advocating for the removal of immigration laws'. But we need to recognise that these laws are failing to deal with today's migration challenges.

Europe has already gone down the road of extreme deterrent measures and we participate. These approaches are failing. As another poster pointed out, 84% more people arrived so far this year.

Anti-immigration advocates weirdly demand we invest further and further in these failed measures. I can't understand why. Maybe it's some pathological attraction to tough looking authoritarian measures. Maybe it's a need to be outraged by those who will continue to come regardless of their simplistic but horrifically cruel attempts to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭briangriffin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Do you ever get tired posting the same stuff several times a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 boredyooser

In two posts you have stated absurd far left meandering such as

" Yet there are people shxxng on here about and thanking videos from racists ,white supremavist posts about UK , and anything that mentions adult males in tents . "

" Discussion about dilution of culture and theories about plantation are beyond comment at this stage . They are conspiracy theories put forward by far right groups from the KKK to the BNP ."

I suggest that the conspiracy theory comments are actually " a call that is coming from inside the house ".

That Indigenous White Populations of Europe will become minority populations in their historic homelands is not a conspiracy theory put forward by the BNP or the mythical Far Right ( no doubt hiding behind every tree and under the bed, possibly in the room with us right now ).

The populations statistic are provided by official government figures. The predictions have been made by official sources. For example in the UK, by the Office Of National Statistics, a UK government office. The numbers and predictions are official, the are not coming from the KKK, they are coming from offical UK government sources and publications.

In the last two millenium, populations have been replaced, outbred, had their cultures diluted. As far as I know neither the KKK or the BNP were around at the time. The leftists will point to the white European colonialists, in the Americas, Australia and New Zealand, along with parts of Africa and Asia, but are silent about the similar impact of Islam, the agression expansionism of which continues unabated. Unlike White Europeans, wracked with guilt for their sins, considering repatriations, Islam continues unopolgetically.. In 700 Islam existed in a small area of Arabia. Thanks to some very particular aspects of it's ideology, it has spread throughout Asia, Africa and further afield, with an agressive policy of populations replacement, actual genocide by using rape as a weapon of war, and cultural dilution, by imposing it's culture over the culture of the existing populations These are observable facts. Mohammed himself suggested to his followers that they could engage in rape as a tool of domination and submission of his enemies ( simply put, non muslims ). Where Islam conquered, the existing populations became Dhimmis.

That cultures are being diluted as the demographcs change is an observable fact. The White British population of London had

a culture. The were famously known for queuing for a bus. They would let ladies on first. They would never dream of pusing in front of other public transport users who had been patiently waiting before them. When riding their public transport, the seats reserved for the elderly and disabled were strictly off limits, they would not dream of sitting in those seats with their children and placing their bags on the seats, depriving the old and disabled of the seats. They would consider spitting in the street disgusting. And as for using public wastebins on major high streets to publically defacate in …. So yes, British culture has been diluted, and the British people will be replaced, and these things are not conspiracy theories, they are observable facts.

And Ireland, in it's delusion, having seen the evidence that " multiculturalism " does not work when some of the cultures involved don't actually subscribe to the ideology, yet have been alloowed to benefit from, is following the UK down the same path.

The actual realities of what is happening in Europe are not conspiracy theories are not coming " the far right ". It's all real, observable and quantifiable through official statistics. Shame the far left are so investing in their delusions that they would deny the grass is green or the sky is blue, but eventually reality with hit with a great impact.

Advertisement