Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Military deaths. Doesn't include civilians as I don't think its a relevant comparator in the context of this war which is being fought entirely on Ukrainian soil.

So many reputable reports that you can't link to any of them into your post. A post that is beyond pathetic, actually disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm not sure the relevance of comparing things like that.

Russia also lost over 125k soldiers in about 3 months when it tried to invade little Finland in 1939. To a few lads zipping about on skis and a bit of cold weather.

Lost over a million in 6 month as well defending one city (Stalingrad) which can also be viewed out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

This is the most plausible explanation for what happened IMO.

Russia is a terrorist state and is absolutely responsible for every life lost at that hospital on yet another despicable act in this war. The missile was Russian and everyone knows this, despite what the troll comes in to say differently, without any evidence whatsoever.

However I do not believe they would have knowingly and deliberately targeted a hospital full of sick children, only because it damages them more to do it. I don't think Putin would have wanted this to happen when Modi was visiting and then to get a vague rebuttal from Modi over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm inclined to trust Bellingcat a hell of a lot more than your vague claims... Any reason why you haven't linked to said blogs btw?

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2024/07/09/russian-missile-identified-in-kyiv-childrens-hospital-attack/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hard to know, with the depravity of Russia/their military. It is (if as reported) one of their better cruise missiles, likely a brand new one, so possibility is there it was deliberate rather than a failure.

Russia hasn't shown much scruples about missile-striking and bombing hospitals.

It looks like it is/was a big and very fancy + quite modern piece of infrastructure in Kyiv (now successfully ruined, or at least seriously damaged?) so maybe that is enough for it to go on their target list, if they found a chink in the air defence and were able to get a missile through onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I remember when the news of Bucha came out there were apologists for Putin trying to rationalise in their own head online that this is what Russian forces don't do.

These were mostly western viewers who grew up away from the last 100 years of Russian military and kgb, fsb action and based their views on pro Russian films and media made for western viewers.

But gradually now the scales are being removed from even the ardent eyes at the time of what the Russian military is and that's to rule through terrorism with zero phucks given what anyone else thinks.

Modi was basically saying to Putin if you were dirt on my shoe I'd wipe you off but I can't as you have the petrol and oil. And Putin was Saddam Hussein like in response in I'm not bothered, I'm fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

So not that long after our most recent example of the inhumanity of the Russian Federation and their masters, you have the guile to come on here and post this in support of them.

Actually, scratch that, "guile" can be seen as virtue in some and what you just did there is devoid of any value. Beyond of course to those in the Kremlin who either have a lean on your thoughts or who's payroll you belong to.

For you to come into a forum inhabited by civilised human beings and attempt to victim-blame a city that just had it's Childrens's hospital hit is beyond vile and if you possesed any morality you should feel shame that you typed any of those letters.

You couldn't care less if what you typed was true or not, your goal was to take a vile and universally hated Russian act and somehow inject doubt they had somehow didn't do it and suggest that the victims themselves are somehow the villains?! You know damned well what you are trying to do and regardless if you are an actual misguided person on Boards, or a Russian asset, know this:

• You are on the wrong side of history.
    • Most of the world knows better and will not buy into your facist little bubble
    • And when this is all done, and world revolves back onto itself…we will remember people like you and we will remind you of how ashamed you should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I've no doubt about the depravity of Russia and what it's capable of doing. And I don't think they care one jot about any of the victims caught up in their acts, I would go as far to say some individuals would probably be actively rejoicing it.

But it does not make any sense whatsoever for them to target a hospital, they full well know they will get more blowback for it and may end up helping Ukraine gain more defensive weapons from the act. But who knows? A lot of stuff Russia does doesn't make any sense.

Regardless it is still yet another vile attrocity of many, that they keep committing time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It’s worth reminding that Putin wants the Ukrainian territory, but not the Ukrainian people who live on the territory.

While adults may not want to leave their homeland, they may think differently if they have children.

These attacks on children’s facilities push more Ukrainians to leave. It might be barbaric but there is unfortunately a twisted logic to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I somehow doubt that he doesn't want the people. We know Putin has machinations for Poland and the Baltics. If he wins in Ukraine his next move will be to Russify the Ukrainian people, steal and acquire their recently hard earned military tech and prowess. Then use Ukraine to as a stage to invade deeper into Europe. He needs the people to do that.

Although i do agree that the attacks are to make some Ukrainians leave. I think it's more to create additional refugees in western Europe. Giving the far right anti immigration(and typically pro Putin) cohort a reason to get riled up in those countries. Thankfully that didn't fully bear fruit in France. And absolutely failed in the UK.

But thats all speculation honestly.

As with any facist regime, he will desire an underclass of serfs / slaves to account for labor shortages or lack of funds overall. The Nazies deported not only jews, but also young & able citizens from the lands they conquered. They took them into Germany proper to toil in their factories and fields, essentally as captive slaves, so they could spare their own citizens for the war effort or for tasks more "worthy" of them.

Russians would do this too in a heartbeat, and likely also take as many fertile people as possible to help mitigate the demographic timebomb that frankly has already exploded in Russia. Even with a load of Ukrainian slaves in the birthpool, there is no turning back and the Russian birthrate is not likely to ever recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

ruSSians already are slaves. Ukrainians are not. a slave enslaving a non-slave? I doubt.

It's all realitve. Putin already has enslaved the Russians, but by enslaving another people under them, some Russians (despite their lot in Putin's Russia) might feel realtivly better off than the new class of sub-humans that the Kremin would have gifted to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭seenitall

Well, a problem presents when the non-slaves the slaves are trying to enslave would rather die (and kill) than let themselves be enslaved. A SMO is what the doctor ordered in that case.

I don't understand… I'm comparing Russian military deaths in Putin's 3 day special military operation to Soviet Union military deaths in the greatest war in the history of mankind. Are you saying the two wars don't bear comparison for the sake of contextualising the number of Russian soldiers killed in Putin's folly?

I'm not being smart btw, maybe I've taken your post up wrong. I just think as the war drags on, and Russian deaths mount, there comes a point where even a Russian observer would have to say "hang on, we've already suffered [x]% of total military deaths from WW2?!?!".

Even the most brutal conflicts of the late 20th century in Europe or involving Russia - e.g. Yugoslavia, Chechnya, Afghanistan - which are remembered as horrifically bloody affairs, appear to pale into insignificance compared to military deaths already suffered by Russia in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You have a point, but I do see it (the hospital) making sense as a worthwhile target from pov of a military and a leadership with no morals at all and a feeling of total impunity (if you can put yourself in that mindset).

As regards "blowback", as you said Ukraine might gain sympathy and more defensive weapons from allies (air defence) but I think perhaps Russia/Putin do not really care much about that and have become certain now that these attacks won't ever result in delivery of more offensive weapons for Ukraine, or the last US/NATO self imposed "red lines" on their support getting rubbed out.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia repeatedly targeted the hospital in Mariupol. They have targeted health infrastructure, health workers, ambulances throughout the entire course of the war.

They do this so systematically and frequently there's a wikipedia page up about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_strikes_on_hospitals_during_the_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine

"As of 4 April 2024, WHO verified 1682 attacks on health care in Ukraine, resulting in 128 deaths and 288 injuries of medical personnel and patients.[5]"

"As of 10 July 2024 Physicians for Human Rights "Attacks on Health Care in Ukraine" website counted 1442 attacks on health care facilities, out of which 742 destroyed hospitals and clinics, killing 210 health workers.[6]"

They targeted hospitals extensively in Syria, involved with Assad in over 300 attacks on them.

It's part of their doctrine. They also do "double tap" attacks, the second hit coming when rescue workers are at the site.

Whether or not they hit the children's hospital in Kyiv on purpose is rather besides the point when they are systematically doing it whilst invading the country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Even Russians themselves recognise their own military's strategy in targeting hospitals and medical facilities.

It's like a bold child there's never been anyone to say no you can't do that. Putin says watch me. And then watch me use the misinformation campaign to deny it using my useful idiots. Time after time after time again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Luna84

Since so many claimed I was lying about that missile hitting the hospital. Well someone happened to be filming it and it is a AIM-120 air defence missile from the NASAMS system.

https://streamable.com/onvifh?src=player-page-share

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

The total figure of Russian dead in WW2 is thought to be in the region of 27 million, comprising of 8.7 military dead, and 19 million civilian deaths. This is the Western version, but its disputed by Russia, who claim 14 million war dead, not including civilian's killed during the war, or in Stalins purges after the war, which numbered more than the western figure of 19 million, maybe even a further 10 million +.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Actually the Islamic version of hell appeals to me as the best place for Putin and his regime. They portray hell as being a river of molten lava, into which Putin and his ilk are destined to float in for eternity. Thats a good one to start with I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Even if your conspiracy theory nonsense were were true. And I'm not for a second conceding it is.

It still doesn't address the fact that there would be no need for the air defence missiles flying around Kiev civilian areas if RUSSIA WERE NOT BOMBING CIVILIAN AREAS.

It's an inescapable fact that you've yet to grapple with and have avoided at every turn. It's honestly disgusting to watch. Absolutely vile post.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭scottser

They've identified over 30 fragments of a Russian KH-101 from the site so far. Also, the video footage identifies it as a KH-101.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Luna84

So they say. They are a corrupt nation I showed proof there of the missile and it's not Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

To large for a AIM 120 … looks more lik a kalibr

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Steviemak7

This is actual proof that its not an air defense missile.

Russian doublespeak in full view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No you didn't.

Anybody genuinely concerned about corruption would be criticising Russia not Ukraine. Evidently you don't, it is just obvious Russian propaganda and atrocity denial you are peddling.

One of the reasons Russia illegally invaded Ukraine was because Ukraine was trying to escape its corrupt orbit, to reform itself to meet standards for EU membership.

So clearly it is Russian, and they corrupt everything. They corrupt people too and get them to spread disinformation on the internet about their atrocities.

And the hospital attack is one of those atrocities.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement