Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't areas like Beaumont and Walkinstown more popular.

Options
  • 09-07-2024 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭

They have great public transport, mature areas, and good schools.

I know 'good value' and 'affordability' is subjective.

You would get a 3-bed semi in either area with a big garden and lots of potential for sub 450k in either area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think Beaumont is popular enough but I know what you mean not achieving bidding wars like Cabra 🤣. Beaumont is superior area to Cabra, decent houses etc close to town.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You would be lucky to get a house in Beaumont for 450K let alone less than that. Last person I know that bought a property in Beaumont where the asking price was 450k paid 540k less than 8 months ago. There are a few apartments in the area which go for less but there aren't that many.

I don't know anything about Walkinstown but you have Beaumont wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I dont know what you mean by not popular. Is there a swathe of unocuppied/for sale/for rent properties in either area?

Considering the shortage of property citywide, people go where they can find somewhere affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Beaumont certainly not unpopular, well served with shops, schools, services, bus routes, near airport and the hospital.

But maybe not as popular as other areas on the Northside that are on DART line, or closer to bigger parks \ the sea.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I was going by the property price register.

I didn't say unpopular but the way things are you imagine there be people queuing up to buy or even look at Ardmore park or Montrose again good value.

• Advertisement

To me id rather buy in a mature area with good transport links and spend a few years renovating that go further out to get a new house.

Good value is subjective

You seemed to have missed the prices are higher than you stated. There are cheaper properties being sold but they weren't 3 bed semis being sold at full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

This thread is a nonsense…what does "more popular" even mean OP? The market is currently gaga with every property enjoying elevated demand - even in Beaumount and Walkinstown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

A house in good order in either of those areas would sell for something between 500-600k. A new build, if there are any, would be even more. I'm not sure what you mean by "popular".

Or good value?

If Im going to spend 448k on a house Im going to want at least one ensuite bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

they they are both extremely working class

basically portabello west

My post came about after talking to someone who wanted to buy in Phibsbougro but could not get anything they were reluctant to look at Beaumont, Beaumont is next to Phibsbourgro.

The second point is what is wrong with buying a house that is solid but needs refurbishment and doing it up over 4 or 5 years tipping away at it bit by bit.

I knew someone who did that they could only afford the double glazing for the front of the house one year and the double glazing for the back the next year.

Phibs is as close to ranelagh as it is to beaumount though

this is their concern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Beaumont is not next to Phibsborough at all. There's Marino, Glasnevin & a few others in between them! Could explain why they were reluctant to look there if it's not within the area they want to be.

As for buying a house & doing it up as such. When the houses are north of €500k, having money to put into refurbishments becomes a lot less as most people would be up to the line trying to buy the house. If it's just small things that it needs then that would probably be fine to live with but if you need to replace a kitchen, bathroom or windows, a lot of people couldn't afford to do that for a few years after purchase which lessens the appeal. Plus if its first time buyers, they couldn't get the extra help if it's on a second hand house as opposed to a new build. Pushed a lot of people to place a higher personal value on new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You'd have to have an understanding of why were they keen on Phibsboro.

I wouldn't have said Beaumont is next to Phibsboro. Drumcondra would be next.

Beaumont is a mature area, Phibsboro has an up and coming vibe with shops, restaurants etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

BER rating of F. How does one afford to save up to replace the windows with double glazing, if you are spending all your money trying to warm the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Beaumont is a mature area.

It’s desirable due to its location… close to major employment centres such as Beaumont hospital and Dublin Airport…. The area has good transport links, amenities such as gyms, sports clubs, shopping, several pubs and restaurants.

You’ll be at the airport from the centre of Beaumont in about 15 minutes driving ….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

They are certainly not extremely working class. I'd class them as being between working-class and middle-class. Your two posts in this thread are idiotic and not of benefit to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

yep, I’m not very familiar with Walkinstown but im very familiar with Beaumont. Working class it ain’t.

They are extremely working class, the housing is too, Beaumont less so

Everywhere has middle class people forced into them because there is nowhere to go

The clip was perfect

If you listed suburbs of Dublin Walkinstown would be bottom 1/4 for sure, bmont bottom 1/3

Its just curiosity really

Anyway, the person I know who did a refurb bit by bit, a long time ago now, he had a tenant as well as refurbishing the tenant was happy with the cheap room.

Maybe its different for two men living together they put up with mess.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A lot of the housing stock in Beaumont would be 1970 s and either requiring BER upgrading or recently done . Mainly 4 beds with large park , shopping centres , pubs and close to or great buslinks/ corridors to the city . Not to mention the hospital .

For those in good condition You could add another 75 to 100k at least to your 450 there, op .

Many have good size gardens and extensions as well as attics converted .

But much more settled vibe than Phibsborough . Older people , families .

Also housing stock in Phibsborough is mainly 3 bed Victorian redbrick terraces smallish , full of character , or 4 bed Edwardian semis with big gardens ..usually needing complete upgrading or very expensive . Younger vibe . No comparison really .

Next stop down from Beaumont is Drumcondra which lies east of Phibsborough .

So both close to city although latter nearer .

Beaumont close to the sea and St Anne's Park .

I don't think its so much a question of being more popular , its whatever you are looking for and can afford to spend .

A lot of old and new houses in Artane and Killester which is further east again and has facilities of Beaumont but a different vibe again .

Again prices ranging from mid 400 k to high 500s depending on size and location .

It's certainly not middle class, unless you think you are

Weird how that doesn't have the big back garden you mentioned before. The point is you claiming sub 450k and found one which had obviously not been upgraded in a while.

You really are reaching

One of those has a football pitch for a garden

The other had been done up

Surely they are both more of a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yes you sound like you know what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Thank you. Finally calling this fellow on his idiotic comments.

Living the life

Advertisement