Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's better than what I was expecting.

And better than some of the experienced managers mentioned like Poyet and Lennon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Proper football is back. None of this woke tippy tappy nonsense 🤤

Does Greenwood have an Irish granny?

USA Vs Jamaica is nowhere near a fair comparison. 3-1 is good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm happy with the appointment. He has plenty of relevant experience, qualifying a tiny nation for the World Cup. That Icelandic team were brutally effective and competitive. There should be no split fanbase, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

because the Icelandic football pyramid produced good footballers

good enough that they played in all the top leagues in Europe

better than Ireland for example

and with a better domestic league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Kenny diehards seem wound up today.

Jamaica conceded the equaliser with an own goal with the last kick of the game. Obviously were then gassed for the Extra-Time. 3-1 isn't a bad scoreline in itself but 1-1 in 90 mins was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There will always be a split fan base when it comes to football. No fan base will ever fully agree on things. Will be interesting to see the reaction from ex players to this appointment.

For some their buddy O'Shea didn't get the job and to others HH has never coached in England. They'll probably bang on about how the lad doesn't understand Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You could put together a 10k-page anthology of speculative articles about this appointment over the past 8 months, appparently based entirely on movements in the betting markets…

Just reading there that during his stint as Jamaica manager he spent most his time living in Jamaica. Something that probably also appealed to the FAI that he's likely open to relocating here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He certainly has the right experience for the job. I'm actually glad its an appointment that people weren't expecting because he likely won't have his pals in the media, among the old pros or any of the obvious interest groups in Irish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Don't think many of us can really make a judgement on this appointment because we don't know a lot about him. If I judge on what I do know, i.e. that Iceland overachieved during his tenure, he seems a good appointment but I've no idea how much of that is attributable to him.

I don't believe the FAI when they infer he was the number one choice months ago but he seems a reasonable appointment given what we can attract.

Let's see what he has to say for himself and see how we play under him before passing judgement one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

As someone who was pro Kenny I think this is a great appointment. It’s someone with relevant experience that fits the budget.

The worry for me was chucking a few mil at a PL has been or settling with someone like O’Shea or Lennon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There are plenty of examples of managers being unable to get the best from good players.

Aside: the LOI is definitively a stronger league than the Icelandic league (despite their champions knocking out Rovers in last year's CL). LOI is ranked 35th vs 41st for Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

No, no, no. Results matter but aren't all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Now that's a new take.

Looking at a successful track record and not giving any credit to the manager.

We'd some people bending over backwards to try and illustrate SK progress when results were absolutely dire.

• Advertisement

They are the most important thing by a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In our current predicament they absolutely are the only thing that matters. How brilliant would it have been to be in euro 2024, for the supporters, for the country. No one would give a toss how we got there.

Not really and, to clarify, I'm not a SK advocate. Like I say, I know nothing about Icelandic football so I'm not passing judgement either way. He was joint manager when they did very well at Euro 2016. How much of that is down to him and how much to his co-manager? He did qualify them for Russia in 2018 but did he just get lucky with a good group of players? Did work that was done years before come to fruition? Or was it his great management? I've no idea.

And it's not that I'm not giving him any credit, I just don't know enough about the situation to judge one way or the other. He hasn't replicated that sort of achievement elsewhere so it's hard to know. And before anyone says it, that's not a shot at him, he hasn't really managed elsewhere to have the opportunity to replicate that success.

However, if you do want to see an impressive track record and the manager gets no credit from lots of people, look across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

"Earlier this year, we identified him as our #1 candidate.."

I mean, technically last week is earlier this year. I also think the word "remaining" needs be put between #1 and candidate.

Qualifed a country smaller than ours for two tournaments and you want to question his contribution.

I dunno seems a bit reductive to me. He did it with Icelandic players, it's not like he was managing Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Some folk prioritise having greater possesion as more important than the scoreline.

Its wrong but thats what some think.

I did say “if I judge on what I do know, it’s a good appointment” in my original post. But I’m wary on judging stuff when I’ve no real knowledge about his history. It’s like using stats in isolation and out of context to prove a point.

I know dick all about Icelandic football or what went in to making that period a success. So I’m just cautioning against attributing it all to him and proclaiming this a great appointment unless you have a much deeper knowledge of Icelandic football than me.

On the face of it, this is as good an appointment as we could have hoped for but I’d say none of us know enough to really judge it one way or the other.

I’ll make my mind up when I hear what he has to say and when I see his Irish team playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

It would have been great but we want a team that isn't completely negative too. Hopefully Mr. Hallgrimsson can get us results and play football but his track record would suggest we'll be very defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

No it isn’t. I’ve never seen anyone say that. Ever.

Sorry I thought your post was sarcastic and saying he done a bad job at Jamaica. Thought my post made that clear.

You've been pretty much told the important bits.

He was in charge when the qualified for two tournaments.

I'm not being funny, and this is going to be a tough job for him, but Is there something else you'd like to know about him?

Very good article up thread about the recent success of Icelandic football. Gives you most of what you want to know about how and why they done so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

seems a decent appointment, at least he has international management experience unlike JOS who should go get some club management experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Philosophys are nonsense in international football. You can't buy players to fit your style, you have limited coaching time, you need to play to your strengths.

We've tried the "good football" experiment it was a disaster.

There is no football more negative than not producing results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Reminds me of the time Leeds appointed Bielsa, can't get any more left field than that…….but we have

• Advertisement

No. I'm just saying I'm not passing judgement on the appointment either way. I'm not saying it's a great appointment, I'm not saying it's a poor appointment.

If "he was in charge when they qualified for two tournaments" is enough for you to pass a judgement, grand. But I'll hold for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'd say the FAI just want a legit connection to all the awesome Jamaican weed on their books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id say Jamaica is a much easier relocation sell than Ireland though 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Very underwhelming appointment, but then you expect nothing less from the FAI(Feck All Intelligence). He can't be any worse than Stephen Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Note sure what people are expecting. No manager of any real pedigree will want the Ireland job.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

I dont know about that, crowds were dropping off hugely at the end of MON and Mick when we were more pragmatic or trying to play "winning football". We've tried both and neither have brought us any long term success. I would rather stick with a style of play that tries to win rather than not lose.

On the new manager, as others said glad they went left field and not an ex english league manager. Just hope the style of play is some what decent, i stopped watching alot of the euros and the football was dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You do see people throwing out mad ones like Mourinho. There’s no reality involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Damn missed calls....

Right.

Strange one.

Experience doing what we want him to do, twice, is a fairly important box to tick alright tho yeah.

I guess by your logic, if we appointed Jurgen Klopp, you'd still want to hold judgement until we see how he performs. And that's fine, that's true with everyone,I'm just not sure what else could have satisfied you at this stage of the managerial life cycle.

• Advertisement

Great article, thanks for pointing it out. It seems an awful lot of factors went into that success of which Hallgrimsson was one. It's a very, very interesting appointment. I'm intrigued to be honest.

I think that's a great point but the average fan is more invested in club football than international football at the moment and "philosophies" are a big fad at the moment. Lots of people expect Pep-like football and results. Anything short is failure.

No, don't think that's true. Klopp's done it at three clubs, at an insanely high level over more than two decades. There is more of a track record there so he'd instantly look a great appointment. And, personally, I have a familiarity with Klopp's achievements and his role in them which I don't have with Hallgrimsson.

Did you read The Guardian article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Would you say Ireland have better players at the moment than the Iceland team he managed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The fear of England absolutely battering us in September has subsided a little with this appointment. We'll still lose but hopefully not by a hockey score.

He'll make us harder to beat but I wonder against the lesser sides who will come to the aviva with a similar mindset.

Comes across well in the interview. Another box the FAI wanted ticked was a manager who'll have involvement with more than the senior team.

Would imagine he'll be doing that with us given the interviewer brought it up for Hallgrimsson to talk about his experience of doing that in past jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

While Heimer is somewhat of an unknown quantity,if he could get a tune out of a country with a population of 250k…..there's a good chance he will make us competitive again with his pragmatic approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

so back to 442

Who will be the centre midfielders over the next few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Coming up with chants wont be easy with that name😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Such muck on the RTE panel ahead of the Netherlands v England game. Richie questioning why the interview conference with the new Irish football manager Heimir Hallgrimsson is tomorrow, clashing with the women's team's press conference ahead of an "important" match on Friday, detracting from other issues as well(issues which Richie's shoehorned himself into). Absolute nonsense! Ireland have 2 matches left, they're bottom of the group having lost all 4 games, and no prospect of qualification. More woke BS.

And Joanne Cantwell then turning to Didi Hamann, asking what do you think when a former Irish international sitting beside you is saying this. 🙄 He has 1 meaningless cap in a friendly against Jamaica, ironically enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Very bad look how the FAI have arranged a press conference tomorrow,heralding the new Managers appointment.Which will take the wind out of the sails of the Women's press conference for their game the following day.A press conference where the revelations from programme on Sunday night are bound to be raised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement