Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Don't Think you need to bring in soccer you couldn't any sport and while rugby was ahead it's dropped back a fair bit in recent times and social medias making things worse. Some people on sidelines will criticise refs for missing things when they've all the camera views etc and refs in general see things once. But those same people will never have the courage to take up the whistle.

You Can't have that strict set up where any player bar captain says anything to captain gets a yellow.. within reason and in right context there has to be dialogue between ref and players to ensure game is played to the best it can no matter what the level

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Refs just need to start pushing penaltys 1p yards again. Problem will be sorted in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

The excuse that refs have only a second to see and make a decision is just that, an excuse.

Most of the talking points from the game last Saturday were reviewed by the officials but they still missed stuff.

One thing that really annoys me, when officials are reviewing a possible try, they often miss what the defenders are doing, like no arm tackles when trying to get the ball carrier into touch, the sliding tackle (knees first) goes unpunished in most cases.

Refs are unser pressure to move stoppages on quickly also though

It's not an excuse because if they tried to move things on you would then have people like you criticising them for not reviewing things. They can't win with yourattitude towards officials.

Maybe they're not missing or ignoring what defenders are doing. You can't and won't pull up anything that breaks the law to stop the awarding of a try

• Advertisement

I think, in your haste to defend refs you have misunderstood my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Rugby was always managed like that - strictly no crap allowed by the ref or else a penalty or move penalty 10m or yellow card etc. I see rugby now and the discipline in terms of respect to the ref has plummeted. And it needs to be addressed.

I didn't but go on. You say it's an excuse. It's clearly not as you constantly criticise refs for missing things whenthey always will. It's impossible they won't miss things in games.

On reviewing tries they don't miss what defenders are doing. They have to take in what's material and often what you see isn't always material. But then again you know more than all ref's at any level. Always criticising them rarely praising refs and would never go out and try ref. Even at the lowest/youngest levels

You're attacking the poster here, again.

There are loads of posts on the match thread and on this thread since the match about stuff the officials missed, take it up with those posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That reminded of when Osborne scored, think their number 8 just dropped his full weight onto Osborne for no reason after the try was scored. No attempt at using his arms, just dropped his shoulder and midsection down sideways onto Osborne. Completely ignored by the officials, but could easily break a rib or something and not a legal tackle.
    Osborne Try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

He's athletic enough to play 8 i think and he has a very 8 centric skill set. I think ideally also you would really load him up with carries to get the most out of him. 120kg is heavy but not insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We finally have a big lump of a young second row who's had a very good season, and two of the four test-level locks we have are the wrong side of 30.

We have a world class number eight who has at least another two RWCs in him.

Why on earth would you move the first guy out of position to compete with the second guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Christ he is clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He's the prototype tighthead Lock. Even is SA!

But yet he can move. I would hope Ireland just don't turn him into a 'tractor'. He could be used a bit more covertly in a pod of forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It's not the first and Im sure won't be the last strange recommendation

From standing beside and talking to Big Joe, he is called big Joe for a reason

Conan was beside of as well and looked tiny in comparison, yet would be classed as a big number 8.

This might explain better 😂

Hes not a prototype south african lock not close

He's 6'5/6'6 120kg roughly. He's not will skelton or meafou who i probably spelled wrong.

There is no chance that ireland turn him into a tractor lock. Part of that skill set is typically absolutely destroying guys at the breakdown and that's not his game.

delete

I mean if you had any reading comprehension at all (and the four people who liked it and also can't read?) the context was within the discussion of whether he would play for south africa or not.

I'm not surprised given your history but still.. be better.

Mod: Warned

Post edited by Cookiemunster on

Make that 5, I can read perfectly

Spelling, not so much 🤣

• Advertisement

Well, you stood near people in real life! So, i'm not going to question your knowledge on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He would play for South Africa because after Etzebeth (who's on the wane) and Mostert, their second rows are bang average. LDJ too, but can't remember when he last played.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FtD v2

Oh here we go - dispense your wisdom on the greatness of South African tight head locks please.

By the way - here are some rucking stats for you that you were looking for the other day. Using URC stats and comparing locks this season:

I looked at a quick sample set of locks, (Joe McCarthy, Eben Etzebeth, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Tadhg Beirne, RG Snyman and Joe Joyce (Connacht), Alan O'Connor and Harry Sheridan.

McCarthy is by far out in front amongst the carrying stats - he has the highest dominant carry % (43.8%), second on the list is Etzebeth (41.9%)(despite your telling us he isn't a carrier and that isn't his game). Average of the group is 33.1%, and worst is Tadhg Beirne on 18.8%.

McCarthy also tops in Gainline % - 61%, Etzebeth by contrast there is on 46.9%, average for the group is 47%, worst is Iain Henderson on 29.4%.

On the offensive rucking effectiveness stats the two leaders are Tadhg Beirne (93.7%) and James Ryan (92.6%). Joe McCarthy has a very respectable (and above average) 82.4%, just marginally behind the supposedly almighty king of rucking Eben Etzebeth on 83.3%. Bottom of the pile (jointly) is Iain Henderson and Joe Joyce, both on around 75%. Only other players ahead of McCarthy are Beirne, Ryan & Snyman.

Joe McCarthy is a better tackler than either of the South African TH locks, who are both bottom of the list. Etzebeth has a much lower quantum of tackles (and lower minutes), but his tackle completion stats are 89.9%, Snyman last of this group on 89.6%. Joe McCarthy is middle of the pack on 91.4%, while best of this group is Sheridan (94.2%).

McCarthy is way out in front in number of dominant tackles - 13 - and the highest dominant tackle percentage at 14%, ahead of Etzebeth on 10.3%. Average is 7%, and Beirne is in last on 2.9%.

He has the second highest number of breakdown steals of the group with 3, Beirne leads the way on 6.

While Etzebeth has by far the highest defensive ruck effectiveness % at a staggering 40%, this is offset massively by the fact he only is credited with hitting 5 defensive rucks (when the average for this cohort is 34.

McCarthy's defensive ruck effectiveness is an acceptable 13.2%, which places him ahead of RG Snyman (12.8%), James Ryan (3.7%), Alan O'Connor (3.3%), Joe Joyce (7.7%) and only marginally behind Tadhg Beirne (15.2%) and Iain Henderson (15%).

All of this is to dispel the utter nonsense that has been spouted on here in recent days about how he's some sort of one trick pony, when the reality is his stats measure up really well against this cohort of experienced locks on any metric. There is no single stat tracked here where he is below average, and multiple stats where he tops the charts (offensive and defense).

His rucking stats are broadly similar to RG Snyman offensively and defensively (off very similar minutes and a likely tougher slate of opponents)(Snyman offensive rucking c. 3% higher, McCarthy defensive ruck 2% higher), and only marginally behind Etzebeth.

you can question whatever you want. Especially with your eye for a player, like who cares about all of those coach's at Leinster and now Ireland that are playing Big Joe as a second row. they are all wrong

but but but he isn't South African so he has to be a terrible player

I agree, as I said someone trying to say he is only a ball carrier clearly hasn't watched him at all

Yea, i saw that advanced stat URC stats. If they are correct Edwin Edogbo is the best lock on the island. I find that a bit questionable.

This isn't even baseball in 2004 never mind 2024. And all you need to see that is look at his 'average' offensive ruck stats and then watch him in a game and wonder where the hell that came from.

Your argument is actually he's a two trick pony rather than one. Ok.

South Africa are back to back RWC champions, they didn't win them with bang average players or if they did, we really need to look at what our coaches are getting from the Irish Players.

When did i say cullen or farrell shouldn't play him at lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

If "It's impossible they won't miss things in games" then, by definition, they'll miss 'material' things as well as things that are not material ("They have to take in what's material")

Nobody, with any iota of sense, is arguing that Refs see all & always correctly decide to act on 'material' things. They clearly can't & don't. Neither is anyone arguing that Refs should always review everything that players ask them to. Absolving officials of their poorer performances doesn't increase the level of respect demanded of players.

(and yes, I reffed for 20 years)

Nobody said they did

But trying to say every player who doesn’t play for SA is now bang average doesn’t really cut it

Plenty of times the claims on here is that SA players are better than others just based on having a WC medal

That’s not how it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Observation would stand against your assertion. I can think of multiple instances where refs ignored infringements that would have materially impacted the game in the course of a try being scored. It happens all the time, at the very highest levels.

Advertisement