Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Air Hostess Allegedly Domestically Abused In Dubai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Well done her - In fairness I do know one person who married local and lived in UAE- been married nearly 30 years now so I’m assuming all is and was well over that time -we tend to hear about when things go wrong- husbands “stealing” children back to their home country, wife stripped of rights, passport held etc etc once married .

I guess there are successful relationships or even unsuccessful ones but without the abuse and control but wouldn’t be my first choice that’s for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

It might be coincidental I think that the husband's surname was Harris but can't find where I saw it trawling the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Eudaimonia

Mary Lou deserves a nod.??? She has in other fora defended people who defend child abusers, rapists and incest. She is a complete hypocrit who believes once the crime committed is by “patriots” it is acceptable. In this case as it was a chance to advertise her compassion she backed the Irish woman - surprise surprise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭xyz13

Any link to the GoFundMe? ☠️

Bien faire et laisser dire...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

To think these stone age fkrs have their name all over the Euros. The women was beaten unconscious, then presented to the police as a criminal by the perp. I'll never set foot in any of those kips, I wouldn't even use their airline. I've seen the cabin crew a few times in Dublin Airport, their token veils hanging out from their caps makes me want to puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Being drunk? How did I miss that? Where exactly did you read or hear she was drunk???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I also think that some people are forgetting that they are supporting similar regimes across the Middle East who currently have similar approaches to the rights of women. That is more relevant than historical events in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

The Leader of Sinn Féin is the actual leader of the Main Opposition Party that is in Government.

It is the function of the Opposition to bring to the attention of the Government parties these issues.

Lately there have been many many issues of women being treated as second class citizens even in our own country and to call the leader of the main opposition party a 'banshee' is disengenous to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And others supporting the murder of children. Shame on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Comhrá

"Abusing alcohol" is very non-specific though. You said she was drunk, but you weren't there so you really don't know.

You prefer though, to blacken the unfortunate girl's name just to suit your own agenda.

You really should learn to be a bit more humanitarian in your views and less intolerant and judgemental.

You really sound like a horrible person, judging by what you're posting about her.

Well if you want to think so. My point still stands though that everyone can condemn a foreign country for its HR abuses, and rightly so, while our own country was pretty bad a few decades ago with children being abused in orphanages, priest's houses and churches and those responsible moved around the country to avoid arrest etc, We had babies bodies put in underground tanks and hidden for years without a proper burial. And only a few weeks ago we had a serving soldier given an exemplary reference for knocking a girl unconscious in the street and then let off by the judge. Yeah but look over there, whataboutery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I don't imagine she was expecting to try and take her life when she went there. The cause was the domestic abuse so every time you try to ignore the cause of her mental state, it's coming across as both devoid of empathy and logic. She likely would never have faced this situation if it weren't for the domestic abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

she said she woke up and found herself in a cell being accused of these things. That's not to say she did any of them, but that she had been beaten and abused by her partner, who tore up her passport and prevented her from trying to escape. It's possible he dumped her wherever after the fact and told them that's what she was guilty of. Sounds like an absolute gent.

edit: apparently she did try to take her own life but instead of assisting her they took her to the police station.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

He beat her up then strangled her unconscious, then brought her to the cops, with his version of events. She came to in a police cell. This is in the papers. He knew the neanderthals would believe his version, sure she's only a woman, lower than a cat or dog in these kips. Useful for human shields though, as we see daily just up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭amovingstatue

I needed to travel to U.A.E. twice for field install work as part of my job. this post describes it perfectly - soulless.

Noticeable social stratification based on gender, religion and nationality, in that order.

Hope she'll be alright.

At no stage have I blamed her for her for what happened to her. I have continuously pointed out that she was detained because of the suicide and alcohol charges which are based on the local laws which is simply a fact.

This link was shared a few times now and gives a good detail of events that led up to her suicide attempt. The horrendous injuries had happened prior to this event. The article also states that her husband had made allegations against her but that these were dropped by the officials, which shows that they did not simply take his word as gospel as some posters have claimed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You repeatedly ignored what led to the suicidality and tried to sidestep the actual domestic abuse. Instead you fell back on "shouldn't have broken the law"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pretty obvious that the way Women should plan for this, is to not emigrate to countries that consider women to be property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I know all that, and agree. But the thing is, I can't see any logical link between your post and this particular incident other than to conclude "So what's she complaining about, it was just as bad here 50 years ago".

If that is not your conclusion, then what is the relevance of our history to this event?

It seems to me to be downplaying its importance because Ah sure we were no better ourselves half a century ago. But so what?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

So when the husband made shite of a bar drunk there was no such charge of "being drunk", but conveniently once a woman who is clearly a victim is accused it easier to stick. I wonder why that is? It's a complete mystery to me? Or perhaps Occam's razor applies here and the place is exactly what it appears to be and no semantic gymnastics will change that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I've no regard for SF and I've no intention making this thread about SF policies. ML raised thie issue in the Dail having communicated with the woman and her family and effectively helped this woman get back home, very very quickly. However you feel about that is your own business.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

The fact that Dubai harbours some of the worlds worst actual criminals like the Kinahans and does nothing about it and then detains a victim of abuse is mind boggling .

I don’t know if the husband got charged or not. It’s not mentioned in the article because it is understandably focussing on her to raise awareness of the case and get her out of there. Why don’t we stick to what was published?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Nobody whatsoever is defending Irelands treatment of women and children back in the Magdelan Launderies times, I would bet everyone posting in this thread would condem the people responsible for the horrific conditions those women and children had to endure, so your point is completely moot. No one here is acting hypocritically by condemning UAE for their treatment of women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

you bloody well did just like you enter every such thread on boards to victim shame - you won’t get any support here that’s for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Best practise would suggest that one should stop digging once bedrock has been reached.

I never mentioned the poor victim. I was more against the posts directed at another country, even with bad HR laws/rules, while our own was no better only a few years ago and in some cases still is. Nothing about the victim at all.

Hopefully that country will sort out their laws in a short time but I found it hypocritical that some posters were forgetful.

• Advertisement

I'd have a better chance than digging the hyprocrasy out of some.

Advertisement