Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Air Hostess Allegedly Domestically Abused In Dubai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder will Tori and her family do the media circuit, TLLS etc., once home, this is getting lots of attention in UK media too, she should name and shame her abusive husband everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thzt's a complete straw man since nobody has denied the Magdalene laundries were a travesty of justice.

But that doesn't have to be brought up every time something terrible happens to a woman anywhere in the world. That's why it's whataboutery. People who think it's more important to self flagellate about our own history than to point out the misogyny of what is happening to this woman are not actually interested in the wellbeing of any women anywhere, including the Magdalene women. They are just making some bizarre point of their own.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Where have I said ''I believed in them'' ?I haven't defended them at all. I don't believe we are in a position to criticise an entire country or cast stones until we're without sin.

The only thing I wouldn't necessarily agree with is that the rules of UAE and Qatar bear no resemblance to the tenets of their religion: you're talking about a religion whose founder explains in detail how to correctly beat one's wife (by avoiding her face and by not using too thick a stick) and who married a six year old whom he raped when she was nine. He was in his 50s at that stage, and she was about his 8th or 9th wife.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Employee rights in the UAE are sparse.. Especially for foreigners. Your employer can report you to the authorities for the smallest misdemeanours. You will then receive threatening messages and will usually have to "pay"your employer to settle up.

• Advertisement

Well that's where we differ. I have my view and you have yours. There were women out protesting on the streets only a week ago about how a man was treated in the courts for knocking a girl unconscious.

That's a bit harsh on Tori Towey though. Tough cheese for her eh? Isn't it a pity for her that she didn't come from a country which would have that moral authority then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I was brought up to believe Islam is a peaceful religion - I still believe that regardless of what rape and debauchery certain countries have created in terms of their “version” of the religion - there are many versions of Islam just as there many versions of Christianity - I’m not here to defend their past evils - I personally don’t believe in any religion

I don’t want to disrespect a whole religion, but I’m more than happy to disrespect the the rulers of countries like the UAE who simply treat such religions as a way to control their countries and people and rape and pillage whatever way they wish

And I posted on that thread. My views are clear on it. The difference is that I wouldn't tell a foreigner that they had no right to express an opinion about Ireland's justice system doing that unless their own country was whiter than white.

Would you agree with an American that we have no right to criticise their removal of the Roe v Wade seeing as a woman died from a lack of abortion only a decade ago here? Or would you think that we are MORE aware of the likely problems when abortion is banned because we have had that experience?

• Advertisement

Who told a foreogner to mind their own business? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Each country has their own laws on abortion. I voted for it but I wouldn't want to know how anyone else voted.

The two incidents I mentioned above are not a "version" created by someone centuries later trying to subvert Islam to their own interests - they are part of the fundamental history of it, because that was Mohammed's life. You may well think it's a peaceful religion, but it's a peaceful religion that advises hitting women. As long as the stick is no thicker than a man's thumb, so that's grand. I'm sure it's perfectly peaceful if you're a man - what woman is going to argue back in that case?

LOL we're the foreigners in case you hadn't noticed - because that's what you're doing, saying we, the Irish, are in no position to criticise the UAE because of our own history.

Same as the other poster who says she disobeyed their laws and should take the consequences. Their laws are barbaric, and I have no problem saying so, regardless of Ireland's shameful treatment of women in the past. Or even because of a judge a month ago. That still doesn't make a legal system that systematically penalises women any less barbaric.

You, and I, and those posters, are ALL "foreigners" in this instance. Because we're talking about Dubai. And we're perfectly entitled to criticise barbaric medieval laws in another country, regardless of our own history. Especially when an Irish woman is the victim of those laws.

You're sounding like those English people who think everyone else is an immigrant, but that the English abroad are expats. 😁

we could go to the Old Testament in Christianity - but I won’t - quite simply any religion is subject to the rulers of that religion of the day, or in this case, the country. What they say, goes.

Fck me, even Scientology who have been classed as a religion in America but not Ireland ….thank God… have a few interesting principles - I’m not here to argue about whether Islam is good bad or indifferent - my own believe is all religions have been used as a method of control plain and simple and we’re much better off without them

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

To address the fact that you think people with mental disorders rights are questionable . I find this opinion as equally unpalatable as Jeqs. Y

now you’re putting words in my mouth that I didn’t say - whatcha been up to since 2014 - long time no see - will this be your permanent account now! Retiring your other puppet account?

That's a poor comparison. Ask any Muslim whether Mohammed said it was acceptable to hit your wife. And was that in Arabic or was it translated by some anonymous translator from some other language that nobody speaks any more?

Because that's a very different level of authority than the old testament which is a collection of bits and bobs from Judaism, translated from several languages, many of no longer exist. That's why there are several versions of most of those stories. Unlike Mohammed's teachings about beating your wife. There's also a story about where he hit Aisha (the 9 year old that he raped) on the chest and bruised her, for some minor transgression. Since children are taught that Mohammed was the perfect Muslim, everything he did is above criticism. There's literally nothing similar in Christianity.

I know next to nothing about scientology and have no idea what relevance it has here anyway, so can't reply to that. But I don't think banning religions works too well.

No we're not. We're Irish. We're in our own country and we should make sure we are not hypocrites ourselves before we criticise others. We see miscarriages of justice here often enough.

• Advertisement

So Tori Towey can go hang then? Is that your conclusion? We can't do or say anything about her horrific treatment because Magdalene Laundries something something?

How come you're not all over the Lucy Letby thread saying we shouldn't criticise the UK legal system because our own history bla bla?

Or does that only apply to brown countries?

Didn't say that either. Her husband has as much to do with it as the UAE as he lied and assaulted her but spun a yarn to the authorities, But he's rarely been mentioned at all because everyone wants to blast another country for having their own laws.

sorry but I really couldn’t care less and this thread is not about Islam anyway / it’s about a woman who got abused by her fcked up pr1ck partner and the rulers of the country she lived in who pissed on her grief - do you honestly believe the rulers of the UAE abstain from pork sausages and alcohol and formication ? They’re using Islam to control their population - they’ll be off to London in the early autumn to race their super cars up and down the high street and buy up the bargains in Harrods whilst raping their assistants and getting fcked on drink and drugs - nothing to do with religion

so let’s praise the UAE Rulers

All together now, all hail Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan- ruler of a regime that criminalises a woman beaten to a pulp by her partner

Woopie isn’t he a hard man !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭paul71

I am reading a report on BBC saying her passport was destroyed, interested to know by whom.

Her partner I believe from other accounts in the media - stand corrected but that’s my understanding - by all accounts he’s a fcking mental case that needs locking up

Nobody said to praise them. Amazing what lads read in posts, truly amazing.

communication is in the interpretation - and I’m not the only one thinking differently to what you wanted us to believe so don’t give me that - you also seem to be defending every post you make - not a good sign really is it?

• Advertisement

So you're not the only one who can't read then. There.

Advertisement