Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

I'm kinda done with people complaining about the championship. The norm for Waterford used to be one Munster fixture, defeat and curtains.

The backdoor changed that, and the club scene was been destroyed and the majority of your hurling was in July,August and if you were lucky September.

We now are guaranteed 4 games with two of those games at home.

If we are not good enough to get into the top three in Munster then we are not good enough for the AI series, simple as.

Yes we can complain, the top three in Leinster might not be as strong as the bottom two in Munster but that might also not always be the case.

The whole Joe Mc teams entering the AI probably needs looking at, but a top 4 qualifying would take the shine off it in my eyes. In that scenario a lot of games become dead rubbers.

Munster has been fantastic to watch the past few years, the club scene will be back in the next few weeks and we will have wall to wall back to back club games, it's not like the AI finishes and that is hurling done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

I don't agree. Less chance of games being dead rubbers with the bottom team likely still having a chance the final day which hasn't been the case the last number of years.

The Munster Championship has been a great spectacle I agree but its so imbalanced with the rest of the Championship. 5 teams of relatively similar ability go hammer and tongs against each other to try qualify whereas two tier 2 teams qualify from virtually nowhere and in the other province the better teams can time their run relatively easily (Granted Galway were caught this year).

Definitely tweaks needed to a system that we (Waterford) would undoubtedly have a better chance of winning an AI if we were in the Joe McDonagh.

If four qualify from Munster then four need to qualify from Leinster, or else you keep the Joe Mc Winners, you end up having the same or more dead rubbers in the AI series.

Limerick could have been knocked out in the last round of fixtures this season, where as if we had have allowed four teams qualify, none of those final games would have meant a thing. Waterford V Clare wouldn't have meant anything either as we could not be caught on 3 points.

We allow 4 to qualify and say both 4th and 5th end up on the same points most years, then the next argument would be, "it's not fair 5th place ends with with the same points as 4th place and can't qualify while Dublin or Antrim get out of Leinster"

What is making Munster so special is big teams don't make it. Had we have took our chance we would have had an all Ireland series without heavy hitters such as Tipp and Cork and that is what is making it special.

I get how the other side is in-balanced and Munster in it self if like an All Ireland but allowing 4 teams qualify is not the solution.

Waterford Clare would still mean plenty in the scenario of four going through. Clare only had 2 points and we were still in reach of Tipp so you're not correct there.

Look I get your point of a loss of jeopardy but I've mentioned it here before a much fairer system would be to allow the Joe McDonagh winners still have their game and have 4th in each province play off against each other to take the other spot instead of the JMcD runners up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

look,whatever way you do it, at some point teams will be knocked out, some years you will be lucky some unlucky, some there on merit, no matter how many changes you make that will still be the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Gisele

Donal O’Rourke in a co management position could be interesting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

Couple of issues with the structure

1. Imbalance - talked to death, no point going over old ground
    2. No jeopardy for bottom team in Munster
    3. Attendances - the argument for preservation of provinces often lands on revenue, but it's killing attendances in Leinster. I don't believe for one second that there was a bigger attendance in PUC for Lmk v Cork because it was in a Munster round robin instead of an all ireland one.
    4. The schedule - it should start two weeks later I think. Get rid of the provinces, get rid of prelim qtr and you have an extra 2 to 3 weeks to play with then for spacing.

The championship started in late April with a bang and had a lot of early momentum. It loses this though every year with those ridiculous prelims, and then often one sided quarter finals.

Having the best 6 teams in the Country qualifying would mean it gains momentum as the championship goes on and I think that would serve everyone better.

Ultimately, I agree with those that say it won't change and the focus has to be to try and ensure that the next 5 years of it are not the same as the first 5 championships in which we have failed to get out of Munster every time.

I think your are right on the above.

I'm also not sure the imbalance could ever be resolved. Let's say we go an open draw for groups, you could still end up with one stacked group.

Let's seperate pots, draw one from Munster, one from Leinster and so on, you may end up with a predictable top three in each group.

Let's seed teams, same as above.

The only real solution to imbalance is reduce the amount of teams and open draw from pots, one Munster, one Leinster and so on.

But reducing the number of teams makes it extremely difficult for the weaker counties to ever get up and stay up. After all we want more teams to be able to compete, as we want hurling to grow.

It's a hard one to crack. Also this notion of it doesn't suit Waterford, this round robin was new to everyone, we just haven't been good enough to get out of it and that's unfortunately they fact.

In the good days, we would win Munster, get bet in an AI semi final and say "it doesn't suit us not having a game in so long"

We then got bet in Munster, go the back door route and get bet in an AI semi final and say "it didn't suit us having so many games while the opposition was fresh"

Now it's "the round robin doesn't suit us"

We also had "Walsh Park doesn't suit us"

The fact is we just haven't been good enough, and that's not a dig at any team or management, as the lads and management always go out to give their all and do their best, but from a supporter perspective we have to stop buying into silly excuses.

Oh absolutely you could and would have lob sided draws sometimes. But nobody could argue about fairness.

And totally agree, we can keep making excuses or fix the problems. Hopefully a major effort goes to the latter and we get better days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

fact is, if we were good enough no amount of bad luck would chanfge a thing, we weren't good enough ,that's all there is to it

• Advertisement

Absoloutely we haven't been good enough but if we somehow were relegated to JMcD and ended up losing a final to Laois, the system deems us good enough to qualify for the AI series. That's a huge flaw.

I wouldn't disagree with that, the simple solution, is top in Munster and Leinster into semi final, 2 Munster V 3rd Leinster, and 2nd Leinster v 3rd Munster in a quarter final.

That removes that inequality.

It's more the format as a whole I was talking about rather than our own shortcomings.

Albeit it would be nice to have had another day out, I did think coming away from the Gaelic Grounds that there's little point progressing until we think we can compete and even beat the best team in the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭decies

the back door system was fine you still had the cream of the crop raising to the top and county flags out in July / August throughout the hurling counties .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

the manager killed us that year. He spent the winter basking in the glory of getting beaten in an All Ireland final when all other counties were getting ready for the new round robin system, they didn’t go back training until after the team holiday to New York in January and never caught up and were well off the pace for the championship. He admitted as much himself afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,403 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Return of the Mc Part 2 ????

😫

Surely not !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

given the years that have passed since he last managed the team he may have learned and be able to adjust his philosophy to better suit the current squad….? A second coming of DMcG is surely more palatable than the ‘6 mile bridge maestrs’ return……also it’s with noting that since 1998 no non-native manager has won an all Ireland in hurling and I think the same applies to football…?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Didn't he say when he left in 2018 that 'he'd return in the future' and did apply for the Wexford job last year. He worked with Laois and Dublin minor teams over the last few years too I think

Suoppose we could do worse and we've seen 'managers return' in other counties. Jack O Connor has/had 3 spells as Kerry manager, Jim McGuinness in Donegal (I know there All Ireland winning managers etc)

If Stephen Bennett commits for 2025 then he has to start and forget about his past career under Derek McGrath 'IF' he returns to thr job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Has it been reported somewhere or are these just rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Ugly scenes at Ballygunner vs Mt Sion / St Saviours U15 game this evening. Never good seeing adults getting involved in melees. Very bad look for all involved.

• Advertisement

The correct name would be ballygunner v Na Risigh

• Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

Why are Mount Sion and Saviours joined at u15?

St Saviours do not have enough numbers to field under age teams. They approached several clubs to amalgamate. They have joined mount Sion at u13 and u15.

They have joins Erins Own at u16 and minor I believe.

The amalgamation is only for 12 months and then they go on the search again if need be.

Had Saviours not have found willing clubs then the GAA would enforce an amalgamation with clubs.

don’t think this incident happened at the end of the game so your comment is a bit weak/juvenile…..irrespective as to when it happened though those involved should be ashamed of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

it happened with less than 5 mins left mount sion were up by 6. Agree irrespective of scores and that. kids shouldn’t be exposed to that

Fascinating, thanks for the detailed reply 914. It’s hard to believe a city club would be struggling for numbers, I would’ve associated amalgamations with rural sides who at least have the excuse of a small village to pick from etc. Although I think I do recall some city sides amalgamations they trialed around the early 00’s and it never really went anywhere.

Surely 12 months isn’t enough though? You could have lads going in and out of different teams constantly over a few years.
    You’d think it would make more sense as well to amalgamate with the one club rather than, like above, Sion 13/15’s then EO 16/minor?

Suppose it’s better those lads get to play somewhere but you’d then ask the question why don’t they just end up transferring to the “parent” club that took them in originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ferrybank/Saviours at minor (u17). There’s no u16 Championship in Waterford.

Do you know what or who sparked the melee/incident……was there a dirty pull, punch thrown or something or just morons on the sideline who couldn’t restrain themselves…?

• Advertisement

There could be a number of reasons why only 12 months and why amalgamations happen with different clubs.

Did the amalgamation work

Could a club have too many players or a large squad the following year etc.

Let's take mount Sion and ferrybank amalgamation with Saviours.

Possible mount Sion have a small squad at u13 and u15 but have a large squad at minor, the might only be able to accommodate Saviours at u13/15, same as ferrybank.

Possibly ferrybank are not competing at u13/15 hence why the they only amalgamated at minor, I don't know the ins and outs but might be the reason why we have amalgamation at various ages with different clubs.

Advertisement