Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Zak Brown has been doing nothing but try to stir **** with RedBull, he's a clown. RedBull should be telling him exactly where to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sports fandom can be a brutal mental illness at times. 😐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I find that hard to believe really, not calling it not real, but Brown must have a neck like a jockeys bollox to be asking them for help. I'd imagine that Honda would totally off the cards as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well if Mercedes say no too Renault/Alpine then maybe they could talk to Red Bull. Can't be any worse than what they already have and would still save them money.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Just on this, does this mean that Renault will be dumping the engine project, must be the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No idea but there have been rumours of it. I hope that's all they are. Personally I hope the rumours are not true but you never know. If they do it shows a lack of confidence in there own engines and Alpine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Your opinions seems to focus solely on the current situation without looking into the deeper intricacies of F1. According to good sources such as The Race and Motorsport, Red Bull’s engine development isn’t on a positive trajectory, and there are rumors that Verstappen isn’t pleased with it. These guys are in the paddock every weekend speaking with team members. Despite being a top team at the moment, Max Verstappen won’t likely stay with Red Bull. It’s worth noting that Adrian Newey, was significantly involved in trackside setup, he has stepped back from direct team involvement, and Red Bull’s performance has already suffered as a result. It's probably not directly related but it wouldn't have helped. Max’s statement that it’s not about Newey is likely a PR move; he wouldn’t openly criticise the team. Considering Red Bull’s lack of an OEM engine and Newey’s departure, they may face challenges ahead. While I don’t hold any bias against them, it’s important to consider potential outcomes based on solid evidence. You said two weeks ago that Lewis Hamilton was done and I told you to look at the bigger picture. Opinions can differ, but sometimes its good to take a broader view. Mercedes is better positioned for the upcoming rule changes. I’m confident that Max will move to Mercedes, possibly by 2025 or at the latest, 2026. If there wasn't rumours Max was looking around, Mercedes would have signed a driver by now and Carlos would already be in a seat too.

Toyota linked with Haas now. Interesting development.

• Advertisement

Your opinions seems to focus solely on the current situation without looking into the deeper intricacies of F1. According to good sources such as The Race and Motorsport, Red Bull’s engine development isn’t on a positive trajectory, and there are rumors that Verstappen isn’t pleased with it. 

Proof, please. I read The Race a lot and listen to their podcasts, there has been zero mention of any of this. None.

Despite being a top team at the moment, Max Verstappen won’t likely stay with Red Bull. It’s worth noting that Adrian Newey, was significantly involved in trackside setup, he has stepped back from direct team involvement, and Red Bull’s performance has already suffered as a result.

Newey has nothing to do with trackside setup, he is a technical director. Trackside set up rests on race engineers and mechanics. He also still works for Red Bull and was at the track at the weekend. What in gods name are you waffling about?

Max’s statement that it’s not about Newey is likely a PR move; he wouldn’t openly criticise the team.

Or…and bear with me here, Max is telling the truth. Sounds more like you want to believe Max secretly hates the team he races for, makes no sense at all.

While I don’t hold any bias against them, it’s important to consider potential outcomes based on solid evidence.

Stevie Wonder could see your bias. What evidence? You have provided nothing but gossip and conjecture.

You said two weeks ago that Lewis Hamilton was done and I told you to look at the bigger picture.

He has won 1 race in 3 seasons, at a changeable race. You want to claim that he is back to his full best based off one race? Go right ahead.

Opinions can differ, but sometimes its good to take a broader view. Mercedes is better positioned for the upcoming rule changes. I’m confident that Max will move to Mercedes, possibly by 2025 or at the latest, 2026. If there wasn't rumours Max was looking around, Mercedes would have signed a driver by now and Carlos would already be in a seat too.

Let's look at the evidence shall we? The most recent rule change in 2022, how did that work out for Mercedes? And how did it work out for Red Bull? You can use google if you want to check the results.

Max Verstappen will not be in a Mercedes by 2025, he has already said he is stay at Red Bull, or is he secretly telling fibs and you know the real story?

There are no rumours that Max is looking around, none. The only ones saying it are Toto and Zak, they are trying to disturb Red Bull, such is how F1 works.

Anything else?

Adrian Newey has already stepped back and is now primarily attending races, which I believe is common knowledge. He also provides advice on trackside matters, another widely known fact.

While I appreciate that your opinions are based on firsthand observations and statements from drivers and team principals, it’s important to acknowledge that Formula 1 is inherently dynamic. Inconsistencies and volatility can surprise us, even when things seem straightforward. For instance, Lewis Hamilton and George Russell recently won the last two Grand Prix races, a development that you probably would have said was impossible a month ago.

Lighten up. You don’t need to finish each paragraph with an overt remark to try and disprove my opinion.

There’s nothing credible about that news source. A quick scan of their Instagram page and most of the news is made up.

Russell won because Lando and Max had contact.

Hamilton won a mixed weather race after McLaren screwed up and Russell retired.

Neither were won on outright being the best car/driver combo. Bit thats motor sports. Russell could have won in Canada but didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

Mercedes had a front row lockout and were running comfortably in first and second while it was dry. They didn't win thanks to the mixed weather, that turned an easy win into a more difficult one. They had a dominant car around Silverstone and the only issue they had was when their drivers struggled to deal with the rain on track, just not as much as McLaren's strategists struggled to deal with it in the pitlane.

They also had the fastest car in Canada but blew it. Russell gained from Norris and Verstappen colliding at Austria but he was able to pick up the pieces by being well ahead of both Ferraris along with the other Red Bull and other McLaren.

On any given weekend it looks like a toss up between Mercedes and McLaren as to who will have the best car for the conditions and track layout, but they are undoubtedly both ahead of Red Bull right now, with Max and the strategy team the only ones keeping them in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

It's actually impossible to gauge exactly where the RB is at. Max is so quick it's hard to put a number on the differance he makes, and that other Joker is so slow it's hard to say how much is down to his lack of ability.

RB are certainly behind both Merc and Mclaren currently. God knows where Ferrari are at, but even they are slower than the RB

Adrian Newey has already stepped back and is now primarily attending races, which I believe is common knowledge. He also provides advice on trackside matters, another widely known fact.

Widely known really? Care to share them at all? He is still working for RB but in a reduced capacity. Even at that, they haven't lost speed or anything due to him, it is more to do with other teams catching up and being consistent.

While I appreciate that your opinions are based on firsthand observations and statements from drivers and team principals, it’s important to acknowledge that Formula 1 is inherently dynamic. Inconsistencies and volatility can surprise us, even when things seem straightforward. For instance, Lewis Hamilton and George Russell recently won the last two Grand Prix races, a development that you probably would have said was impossible a month ago. 

Not sure what you are trying to say here at all, are you implying that you know the workings of F1 more than us? Speaking highly of yourself there, especially when you are getting the even the basics about the dates for the rule changes kicking in totally wrong.

Russell and Hamilton won races based on different circumstances, they were not on raw pace at all.

Lighten up. You don’t need to finish each paragraph with an overt remark to try and disprove my opinion.

Thanks for the advice.

Listening to the Sky Sports coverage from Silverstone, both Ted Kravitz and Martin Brundle mentioned Newey’s involvement in trackside matters.

Now, I don’t claim to know more than anyone else—I’m just offering an opinion, like the next person. However, it seems that your focus in this thread is to correct everyone when things aren’t currently happening. You dismiss speculation, rumors, and projections in your comments and appear to lean heavily toward Red Bull in your analysis.

Regarding the 2026 rule changes, I’m not sure where the confusion lies. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding in my previous statement.

As for Russell’s victory, Max’s aggressive driving style played a role. Had Max not collided with Lando, the outcome might have been different. But he did, and Russell capitalised on it.

Lewis’s win at Silverstone was fair and square. He had a competitive car, second only to the McLaren, and his tire management skills in changing conditions are unmatched. Max’s success over the past two years is undoubtedly tied to having the best car. That’s how racing works—performance matters. However, I encourage you to consider that Red Bull’s dominance is shifting, and Max is exploring other options. In my opinion, he might leave Red Bull for Mercedes in 2026. Of course, differing viewpoints are essential, and I don’t intend to play moderator—I’m just engaging in the conversation! 

Listening to the Sky Sports coverage from Silverstone, both Ted Kravitz and Martin Brundle mentioned Newey’s involvement in trackside matters.

I think they were referring to him walking around with his notebook, which he has done for years taking notes on rivals. He has no input on car setup though, that is done by trackside engineers.

Now, I don’t claim to know more than anyone else—I’m just offering an opinion, like the next person. However, it seems that your focus in this thread is to correct everyone when things aren’t currently happening. You dismiss speculation, rumors, and projections in your comments and appear to lean heavily toward Red Bull in your analysis.

Yes I generally dismiss rumours or speculation when there is no evidence, much like you did to that tweet above. I am leaning towards what I see and not rumours based out of nothing, which is what you seem to be doing. You have leaned very much against Red Bull as well, I remember your posts about the Horner stuff earlier this year.

Regarding the 2026 rule changes, I’m not sure where the confusion lies. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding in my previous statement.

There was, you said 2025.

As for Russell’s victory, Max’s aggressive driving style played a role. Had Max not collided with Lando, the outcome might have been different. But he did, and Russell capitalised on it.

You are making my point for me with that. Thanks.

Lewis’s win at Silverstone was fair and square. He had a competitive car, second only to the McLaren, and his tire management skills in changing conditions are unmatched. Max’s success over the past two years is undoubtedly tied to having the best car. That’s how racing works—performance matters. However, I encourage you to consider that Red Bull’s dominance is shifting, and Max is exploring other options. In my opinion, he might leave Red Bull for Mercedes in 2026. Of course, differing viewpoints are essential, and I don’t intend to play moderator—I’m just engaging in the conversation! 

I never said he didn't win fair and square, I said there were changeable conditions at the race, which there were. You are saying that Lewis won because of his unmatched tire management, but in the next sentence Max's success is tied only to the car…you are you don't have a little bit of bias there? Look at what Max is doing and compare that to Perez, that shows the level that Max operates on. Yes he has a fast car, but he is the best driver on the grid right now, and that is not just down to the car.

And another rumour I see, do you know if Max is exploring options? Last I checked, he extended his lead in the championship over the last 3 races and scored the most points of anyone in the triple header. Going to Merc would be a step back in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Soc_Alt

• Advertisement

Canada and British races had Quali and The race in mixed conditions IIRC?

Max caught up about 10 seconds in 12 laps on Hamilton on a harder compound tyre at silverstone.

Jury still out on Merc atm. Max had a bad pit stop in Austria will probably cost him the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But, we are at a point that if Max has a mare in qualifying, it's not a given that he'll just saunter through the cars up to the lead and drive away. Sometimes it's Ferrari, sometimes it's McLaren and most recently it's been Mercedes Benz.

Mate of mine met Newey there at Goodwood and had a chat with him for a couple of minutes. I'll ask him later what they "chatted" about……..That's justa screenshot of the pic he shared on screen

Its very much on the driver now to make gains. Merc, Red Bull and McLaren appear to have quite evenly matched cars at the moment. The way I see it is Max, Lando and George appear to be best in qualifying but Max and Lewis still have the upper hand in the race. I think the remainder of the season should be interesting and Merc appear to have some upgrades coming. I haven't heard much from Red Bull but I'm sure all three teams will keep chipping away at one and other.

They spoke about their recent performance, Newey expected them to be quick in Hungary, asked him him about Checo, said confidence is low, asked him about Max potentially moving , he just smiled and didn't say anything really.

Chatted a bit about Goodwood event and the Car he had with him and anything in the pipeline and he just laughed.

Said he was a very personable chap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That's his Valkyrie he was driving, much nicer in that blue than the normal green imo. He's been busy developing the RB17, looks like something straight out of Gran Turismo.

That is an absolutely wild car, Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The car looks insane, it's incredible to finally see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ralf Schumacher has confirmed he's in a same sex relationship. Has there been any openly gay f1 drivers previously?

🏳️‍🌈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Advertisement