Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Holland shafted by the ref

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well I think Bellingham might be right about the ref. He had a poor game. Only Michael Oliver has had a worse game I've seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Everyone England have played have been superior to the yet they're in the final.

Name of the cup at this stage.

England are a horrible side to watch, it's only fitting they'll beat the best side in the competition.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Disgusting result. Conned a penalty and a late, late goal through the Dutch players legs when it was moments away from extra-time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hey remember when England were seconds away from losing to Slovakia 😯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

Unfortunately the Ref has had a massive say in the outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You couldn't ask for a handier run to a final, and then to get a helping hand from the officials too finding you a penalty where there was none. Gareth Southgate, football genius.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Clown or not he is doing the business, if he keeps winning and getting to finals what can you say? Three Semi-Finals in a row, two finals in a row. The only nation that has done better than that was the great Spanish side.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And Kovacs from the Turkey Czech match, on his booking/red card rampage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Southgate is a sound out guy, can't knock him, you have to be restrained to get to the latter stages of these international competitions, to play it safe, but to always have more to call on, he has that in this squad, and he knows how to use it.

°°°°°

They have no business getting to the final of any tournament yet they keep doing it.

Glazers Out!

If Holland had gotten that corner off Stones. If the ref hadn't given England a phantom free for Guehi diving moments before the 2nd goal, everything changes after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

All I'll say is watching Italy win in 2021 is some of the best schadenfreude I've ever had, here's hoping it comes again this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The obvious corner not given and phantom free for England are some of the worst refereeing decisions I've seen at this level in a long time.

°°°°°

Giving the poxy penalty he gave them was the biggest travesty.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The ref needs investigating. An absolute embarrassment tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Spain should win but England probably will. I’m resigning myself now to lesson the pain when they do it on Sunday. It’s not the players, it’s just Southgate - how? Their media will be insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think the referring standard across the competition has been awful. It's really gone down hill, that obvious corner shout been a prime example. How does a ref and your lines man who's looking directly across not see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah Didi it's not thaaaat big a call to take off a half-injured forward after 81 largely anonymous minutes (screaming bloody murder to win a pen aside).

Playing the percentages, Italy have done it for ages and get lauded for it. Southgate has got to the final now with that mindset, fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Spain will win the final. They have an excellent system, great midfield and Williams and Yamal just stretch defenses.

I'd love to know what's happened with England since the last game. It's like they brought somebody like Arteta in. Southgate has never set a team up like that and tbh I don't think he'd know how to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

What makes this even worse is that the aviva will be playing host to England's homecoming do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Engerland have played

Slovenia, Serbia, Slovakia, Denmark, Switerzland and Holland - not one better than them as per the FIFA rankings and olly the Dutch anywhere close to them.

Spain have beaten Germany and France in the last two rounds alone. They have to win it. I’d be surprised if England get 30% of the ball in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Would normally say teams should take their beating and move on but in this case would like to see the Dutch make a point (accusation) of the ref, specifically the peno.

Calm down. They beat a poor Netherlands team.

Spain should be much better opposition.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Its 2 finals, 1 semi final and 1 one quarter. Sf, final, qf, final is the sequence. But in each of those tournaments they ground their way about and came undone at the first remotely good opposition.

I didn't particularly rate this Dutch team prior to the tournament myself and think they overachieved , that England laboured their way to a win against another team they on paper are better than is a damning indictment of them

But for poor finishing they'd have been out in both of the last 2 rounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

An awful lot of despair in here. Keep the faith lads! Spain have been magnificent in this tournament. They are not finished by any means.

Still think they will have too much for England on Sunday

°°°°°

Oddly the Dutch put in the worst performance against them, England were second best for the majority of their games in this tournament.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

3 terrible decisions won England that match. Watch Spain get a player sent off after 5 minutes now

The referee's take the brunt and rightly so, but the linesmen have been terrible as well. So often they don't raise their flag until after the referee has blown the whistle for a foul, sometimes offsides as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was convinced they wouldn't get past Switzerland, 2 hours ago I was convinced Spain would embarrass them in the final if they got there.

I don't know anymore, it's just all falling their way. We've always said England would be insufferable if they ever manage to win a major tournament, they'll be ridiculously insufferable when they manage to win one despite being absolutely fúcking shíte. We'll be hearing about the genius of Sir Gareth for decades.

°°°°°

There you go. He's a clueless manager who keeps getting to finals in spite of himself.

He'd be sacked by Christmas in the club game but this gig suits him.

Glazers Out!

Hopefully. But it only takes a wrongful sending off or more dodgy penalties to help England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

should have backed them before this game for happiness insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If there's any justice in the world Spain a team who's breath taking to watch and gives you a sense this is why I watch soccer will beat this awful awful negative team England.

I just hate watching negative teams, It's just so anti football and what makes it worse you have players that are the best in the world and it's criminal you're play this dull negative shite.

Let's not forget the Dutch beat Poland, drew with France, lost to Austria and qualified as a third place team, then beat Romania and Turkey.

This is not a win over a great team.

On ITV the panel genuinely seem to be in shock, except for Roy Keane. He said he fancied them to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

Why are people saying "easy run to the final" etc? England won their group, whereas France didn't. England made the final as a result of winning their group and getting more favourable draws. France for example, didn't and they're home. Under Southgate, England have won their groups. In many tournaments before Southgate, England would stumble to 2nd place in a group and be soon knocked out of the tournaments.

Credit to Southgate for winning group stages consistently and then being tough to beat in the knockouts. They're deservedly in the final. His two subs involved in the winning goal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cant remember a tournament where one team is so far ahead of the rest of the teams and so clearly deserves deserves to win.

It's destined for England to rob them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Absolute disaster England getting to the final, but on the plus side they'll get the runaround from Olmo and co on the big stage.

Dunno how Koeman keeps getting these jobs. Holding the national team back. He's a worse manager than Southgate probably. Turned Ajax and Feryenoord into midtable clubs during his time there, turned Valencia from a Champions League outfit to relegation candidates, robbed a living off the back of another managers good work at Everton and So'ton and seemed to get praised as a top manager, but inevitably took them backwards in time.

Somehow has got the Dutch job twice and the Barca job, where he was disaster, off the back of his "reputation". You'd wonder how some people get away with it in life, cruise by in life doing terrible work, yet still get promotions and there seems to be no accountablity.

I actually followed Ajax and Valencia during his spells there, and you'd have had to seen them play, to really understand just how bad he made both. An absolutely terrible manager, who seems to take every team he manages backwards, yet continues to get big jobs based on his "reputation"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Spain have rotated more, rested players against Albania (and Le Normand and Carvajal involuntarily against France). Just the one ET and an extra day's rest.

England haven't rotated as much, didn't rest players in a needless final group game and they've had two ETs.

Spain have consistently played well and have come back from tough positions (shock lead for Georgia, last minute equaliser against Germany and going behind to France last night).

England still seem a bit disjointed but, in fairness to them, they've pulled through some tough moments. I just haven't been much impressed by them.

If they manage to beat Spain, it'd be hard.to argue they don't deserve it because they'll have beaten an astounding team.

I've seen enough football to know how random moments can change games but all things being logical, Spain should win on Sunday.

Kane's a ₱####. He was asked in a post match interview if it was a penalty. He said "I don't know, but my foot was hanging off."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

England to sit deep and hit spain on the break. 2-1 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Hungary 1954

Holland 1974

Holland 1978

Brazil 1982

England 1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If Southgate is serious about winning the Final he HAS to start Watkins but I doubt he will.

• Advertisement

England have had their greatest squads ever under Southgate. They should be winning tournaments regularly. The fact they haven't won a tournament under Southgate shows how bad he is.

In this tournament he's been saved by a 95th minute bicycle kick by one of the greatest players in world football and then another world class strike by another gifted player to bring them to extra time again. These strikes came out of nowhere and it's in spite of his tactics.

That would be the logical move. But Southgate is all about optics and loyalty.

ed sheeran and beers. most likelt the dutch scoring early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The penalty decision tonight was a disgrace.

i think i agree with sadlier re the ref - didnt want to be seen to have an agenda against england (bellingham) so erred too much on england's side.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement