Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,557 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 19,269 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, I'll ask you the question that I've been asking everyone else for the last fortnight and a lot of people have been reluctant to answer.

Who steps UP, and why are they worthy of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It is, but I doubt it will pass.

Too much money to be made from inside trading for it to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Harris is right their.

She isn't the most inspiring of candidates but Trump is incredibly beatable so Biden steps aside for her and then everyone gets to work.

The swing state polling right now is dire for Biden and the age issue is not going away for him, Harris at least kills that stone dead. She is only a few points behind Trump anyway so yeah she can get it done.

If you want someone to win Michigan a key state and similar then you have Whitmer.

Neither of those 2 are slam dunks obviously, but look at the state of Biden and the polling so why they don't deserve a shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It not being live makes it less than relevant. Biden has decided to risk the country for his ego

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gotta come together across the aisle for once and put the public pressure on the congress, the whole congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Everything was fine until things changed. And it became obvious Biden has changed. Yes, there were indications he was struggling but now they are obvious.

Why is it hard for people here to realise this? Facts change, opinions change.

Too many people don't like Harris. She'll be too detrimental.

Whitmer said she's not interested in running, even if Biden steps down…and that was 48 hrs ago.

Neither are slam dunks because they're non-runners.

So who, realistically, steps up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Not much evidence that the people are loving Biden either when I look at the swing state polling and approval ratings. Harris isn't perfect but at the very least she ends the age/mental fitness attack that is killing Biden atm.

Heck she can ever flip it on Trump because unlike Biden she doesn't need to be managed and can consistently be out in public hammering Trump non stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is just damage control. I can see him doing a junket of these interviews from now until the convention but the more he does, the more that Trump's campaign can say Biden only sounds coherent in set piece interviews by sympathetic media outlets and teleprompted speeches.

Are these interviews expected to win over undecided voters, or are they just designed to quell the disquiet among his own party and donors?

Even at that, the narrative is kind of out of his hands because a number of people who are in a position to influence public opinion, eg Jon Stewart, have called on Biden to step aside and even if they try to walk such statements back, which I doubt, they'll still have said them. It'll still be out there.

In order for Biden to win the election, he's going to need some combination of another and much better debate performance against Trump and also enough voters becoming aware of what a threat Trump represents. Also making sure that the RNC can't pull any big shenanigans on election day with regards to partisan poll workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

In my mind Harris is probably our best bet at the moment.

Of course I would prefer someone else but there doesnt appear to be anyone else standing up so it has to be Harris at the moment.

At least with Harris she's cognitive and doesnt have baggage unlike Trump.

There's no doubt in my mind Biden is going to lose but at least with Harris there's a chance. You put her in a debate with Trump and she'll destroy him because Trump has far to many easy targets on his back.

I'm sure it must be hurting Joe that everyone is talking about his cognitive issues, it's not nice talking about mental health issues and knowing time is catching up but it takes a brave man to step down knowing there's higher stakes and knowing you just cannot go on being the same man you were 4 years ago

You have to think of the greater good when you factor the devil is knocking on the door of the White House again and this time he'll be prepared….

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I don't think it's ego. Regardless of what happens (stays on, steps down) for optics he must treat it as if he's 100% committed until the moment he has to step down (or stay on and face Trump).

People are worried about Biden. There's a difference. On the other hand, Harris just rubs people up the wrong way. Sticking with Biden may or may not lose the election for the Dems in November. But if they go with Harris, I'd guarantee a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I was thinking about this last night, forgive the sporting analogy, but no matter what team sport football, rugby, hurling, if its late in the game and you, the manager, are thinking of replacing your captain, then you would have your next best player off the bench and warming up on the sidelines.

The Dems have no-one warming up. So calls for Biden to step down is disingenuous. I am sure Biden would have happily passed the torch by now if there was someone suitable, but the truth is, there's no-one.

While Harris is the obvious one, the reality is that she is unpopular. Unfortunately in some states, being black and a woman is too much of a leap for some voters who would probably go with old, batshit crazy white guy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerry_man15

Pete Buttigieg, excellent speaker, former naval officer, articulate and intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd have an opposite opinion.

The media frenzy about this is intense and will be extremely damaging for Biden's campaign. Theytried to end the frenzy with the defiant 'I'm still running and that's that' message but it didn't stop the media focus, and I don't think they'll ever stop it. As long as Biden is the candidate it'll drag on all the way to election. At this point, considering all the media coverage and the open Democratic turmoil, I think Biden being the Democratic nominee more or less guarantees a loss. He simply will not energise the Democrat-leaning or independent votes enough to capture swing states.

So who else can step up? Just as one example, Josh Shapiro - certainly something of an unknown, but he wouldn't be by election time, and would help with Pennsylvania. He's a centrist, but that might help to court independents.

This is going to be a Keep Trump Out election, just like the last one. Give the Democrats somebody to rally round, and give the Anybody but Trump voter somebody palatable to vote for, and you have, in my opinion, a far better chance than a Biden ticket.

More than anything, do it quickly, and get the negative press in the rear view mirror, and give the new candidate time to campaign.

Post edited by osarusan on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Really good guy. Would be a very good candidate and fine president. But he's gay. And that for many Americans is a bridge too far for their "Christian"values.

I think the problem now for any potential Democrat coming forward, is that it'll be seen as a very uphill battle to beat Trump with such a short timeframe to prepare and start a campaign. And that might their one shot at the presidency blown. I'd imagine even Harris isn't happy about how this is working out, even if it gets her the nomination.

There might be a case for the Democrats leaving Biden to give it his best shot while at the same time throwing everything at the House and Senate elections, so if worst case scenario happens and Trump gets in, he can be stymied by Congress.

Whatever happens, it's going to be a sh1tshow between now and November. Heaven help them.

Re: Buttigieg, if America isn't ready for a black, female President, they sure as shit aren't ready for a gay one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Newsom would destroy Trump in debates but has he baggage?. Can't see Harris overcome the double disadvantages of being black and a woman. Disappointed Whitmore isn't interested. Dems main hope is that one of those sexual assault cases being discussed on X turns up with a woman willing to come forward that Trump assaulted her when she was a child.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Not that am I prone to idiotic consipiracy theories but you can see why people are wondering at this stage if the Dems actually want Trump to win. Everything they do is playing into their hands. The GOP can't believe their luck - they don't even have to run any attack ads as the Dems are doing all their dirty work for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

George Clooney is the lastest to ask Biden to step aside.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/10/us/politics/george-clooney-biden-drop-out.html

That well known politico George Clooney.

I nearly want Biden to turn to someone on camera and say, "If I did step aside, who would take my place?".

And answer came there none.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭8mv

It's Biden or Harris. They have other good potential candidates but they will want time to build for a run and won't want to be parachuted in at such short notice. Personally I think the speculation should cease but if Biden chooses to step aside then Harris will do the job. If that happens it will be interesting to see who she might pick as potential VP.

Clooney is apparently an influential voice within the democratic party and a large fundraiser for them.

Pelosi's comments along with reported comments from Schumer are doing more damage though.

What is starting out like a trickle, is going to turn into a tidal wave of urges and comments about Biden stepping down.

But you are right, who is going to take his place. The obvious one is Harris, but even a lot of Democrats are lukewarm on the idea as she polls not much better than Biden. Can she win a national vote? I dont think so.

This is a problem of of the Democrats own making to be honest.

There is nothing at all wrong with Pelosi's comments, but it is being spun very differently by the NYT and even CNN.

I've been solely listening to CNN for the last 4 months or so. I've noticed a change in their attitude to Biden. In the past week or so, they have turned the tide on their support for him. It's not a trickle anymore, there very much is a wave against him.

As we keep saying on here, so he steps aside, but for who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Kamala Harris isn't liked because she is a thoroughly unlikable character. It's got very little to do with her race or gender. I think Trump would beat her well in a debate . To be honest I can't see her stepping up. She's got a huge ego but she's not completely silly.

No I think Biden will trudge on and Trump will beat him well in November . If Biden did have some humility and step down then the repercussions in the democratic party would be huge. The Democrats are like the left...they turn on each other given a half a chance. The likes of Ortiz and the far left squad would look to unsurp the centrists. It would be a disaster but then it's going to ve a disaster anyway. Personally I think Trump is the best option. Putin wouldn't be in Ukraine if Trump was in the top job. Anda word on NATO. The US wants Germany to pull up its socks. It's military us a joke..badly led and WOKE. The only thing between the Ukraine and Paris if Russia were to over run Ukraine would be Poland. People underestimate the Russian capability. They've a serious military machine up and running . If heaven forbid the Ukrainians collapse then why would the Russian armies keep rolling.. NATO as it stands wouldn't save the Baltics and probably not Poland

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
Advertisement