Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭Shoog

The Labour government should be good for two terms but then they will be wanning in popularity and undoubtedly scandal. At that point it depends if the conservatives have managed to rehabilitate themselves enough for government.

Its correct to say that the British are natural conservatives so it's up to the Tories to throw that advantage away by lurching to the right (as they seem to be talking about now).

A hard right Tory party will fall more and more out of step with a socially liberal population. In 10 years time the loony geratric hard right demographic which has kept the Conservatives in power for so long will be all but dead, so this is the vista that offers the Liberals an opportunity to expand into the vacant space left by an irrelevant hard right Tory party.

This is why there has been a world wide push by the hard right to seize power by any means possible - because they fully understand that their window of opportunity is rapidly closing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I know they voted to leave the EU, huge numbers of people voted to leave the EU that now think it was a terrible mistake. If you promise voters closer alignment with the EU will lead to further investment in the north (which is was the Red Wall really want) they will go along with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm concerned that openly discussing anything that might resemble rejoining the EU will just fuel the Conservative hard right. I think it's better to keep it as technical in nature for now and just get on with it. Brexit purity matters little to most people.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I feel awkward sharing footage of a man whose career depends on oxygen given to his inflammatory rhetoric, but I figure an Irish forum isn't much kindling: to the surprise of no one, Farage's first speech is a trolling broadside aimed at John Bercow for no other reason except brexit-brexit-brexit.

I saw it mentioned in passing Farage missed the first sitting, that he only turned up for this? That true, cos it's sure continuing the trend from his time in Brussels.

What's the rules when it comes to censuring inappropriate comments made in the HoC? Stricter or looser than the EU Parliament I wonder cos Im intrigued how much he can just stand up and shít away before he gets pinged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Randycove

I think that is an assumption that labour probably aren’t going g to make at the moment. As far as Brexit goes, I get the impression that it is a sleeping dog they are quite happy to let lie for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭drury..

I think so especially with Farage on the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I think Starmer adding "in my lifetime" to his ruling out of rejoining the EU/SM/CU during the election will come back to haunt him. Rejoining the EU is something for the next generation but to extend that to SM & CU as well does not leave much scope left for any changes to UK/EU trading relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is in his 60s so I think that's pretty accurate.

It's just not happening and people here just need to get over it and move on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. Even if Starmer is wrong, this will be forgotten about days from now.

I just want capable government by serious people. So far, the omens look promising...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly.

They voted leave because they had been lied to and gaslit for decades that the reason that everything was sh!t was because the "Big Bad EU" did it.

The truth was that the Tories did it (and Labour at times) and they alone were the entire reason for those areas being unemployment , education and healthcare black-spots.

Post Brexit I think those scales have fallen from their eyes to some extent - Without the EU as a scapegoat it has been easier for people to see exactly who to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭swampgas

I suspect EU membership will be a bit like abortion in post 8th-Amendment Ireland: a totally toxic subject politically, that will be avoided by mainstream political parties until they are confident that a significant majority of the people are strongly in favour.

Attempting to rejoin the EU would create so many hostages to fortune that I think the reality is that Starmer is 100% right to rule it out.

For one thing, the process would involve the UK "supplicating itself" to the EU (that's how it would be perceived by many) and as their previous opt-outs and special benefits would be likely to be off the table, it would feel humiliating to many of the people who voted for Brexit in the first place, for reasons of national pride. It would be an absolute dream for Farage.

The right wing press, regardless of what they feel about the EU (and mostly they seem anti), would nevertheless use any suggestion of rejoining the EU as a convenient stick with which to beat Labour.

It's exhausting just thinking about it, to be honest.

Ian Dunt has an analysis here: https://archive.ph/HWttz .

Inevitably, things will deteriorate. But you got the genuine sense that Starmer might very well like to continue in the style of the first debate throughout the next Parliament, rather than the vacuous shouting match which Commons sessions usually entail. There is a chance – no more than that, but a chance nonetheless – that debates might be conducted with a little more grace than before.

And then, towards the end, Nigel Farage spoke, as leader of Reform. At that point, needless to say, all sense of dignity died. All decency appeared to be lost. He offered some cagey words of praise for Hoyle and then, unable to help himself, made a mean-spirited reference to his predecessor John Bercow. The current Speaker’s reputation, he said, was “in marked contrast to the little man who was there before you and besmirched the job so dreadfully in doing his best to overturn [Brexit]”.

It seemed that he couldn’t manage even on one short occasion – a minute-long speech – without saying something vindictive and conspiratorial. But there was, in that, a useful reminder. Farage’s comments represented precisely the kind of politics Starmer is attempting to kill through his rhetoric of service. He is trying to show that serious, competent government is better than the hysterical mean-spirited divisive mania to which we’ve been subjected for the last few years.

Farage wants to represent the future. But he sounded awfully like the past. And when his brief moment of spite was over, the Commons returned to talk of cross-party agreement and national responsibility. Everything returned to the new status quo, which seems to suit everyone in it far better than what had come before.

I probably won't bother watching the video. Bercow always positioned himself as an advocate for backbenchers primarily. His behaviour in this regard was perfectly consistent. It's weird for Farage, a man nearly a decade after the referendum to bring this up. It reeks of the "And now, we move on to liars" line from Father Ted. He might want to reflect on the fact that it took him 8 attempts and a calamitous excuse for a Tory party to get elected in one of the worst parts of the country. If he could do that, he wouldn't be Nigel Farage, I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I probably won't bother watching the video. Bercow always positioned himself as an advocate for backbenchers primarily. His behaviour in this regard was perfectly consistent. It's weird for Farage, a man nearly a decade after the referendum to bring this up. It reeks of the "And now, we move on to liars" line from Father Ted. He might want to reflect on the fact that it took him 8 attempts and a calamitous excuse for a Tory party to get elected in one of the worst parts of the country. If he could do that, he wouldn't be Nigel Farage, I suppose.

Honestly you ain't missing all that much, given it was just a 1 minute video and hadn't realised it was a chance for each party leader to just go good luck to the Speaker. So it was an intentionally bit of cattiness for no good reason, except it's Nigel Farage and his entire political relevancy comes down to Brexit mania, anti-migrant mania - or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I see the Tory leadership contest has already reached the bitchy comments stage and the starter's gun hasn't even been fired yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭flatty

69% of the population are completely unaware that they will need a visa soon. The popular opinion can soon turn.

I'd wager pretty much the entirety of the Tory MP gammon have snared Irish passports.

Fcuk the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I’m guessing it’s a misguided reference to ETIAS

UK citizens who don’t have hold passport from an EU country will have to get travel pre-authorisation to enter Schengen.

Expected to come in during 2025 (it was planned for 2024, but keeps getting pushed out).

It’s not a Visa - it’s a visa waiver scheme similar to ESTA for the USA.

The UK is planning to bring in similar ETA requirements for EU citizens (excluding Ireland) in the coming years also

Seems the Tories do want to spend a long time in the wilderness with 50% of the membership wanting to merge with Reform.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/10/almost-half-of-tory-members-wants-party-to-merge-with-reform-poll-reveals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Tbf, merging with Reform is probably their only path back to power. The right has splintered and remaining as two in a FPTP system will more than likely end up costing them both.

Tories have shown that they cannot beat Farage and the membership appear to be more aligned to Reform than a more central position

Post edited by Leroy42 on

Despite everything Reform is a fringe party. They represent no path back to power. Remember this, the membership of the Tory party is almost to a man over 60 years old and most will never have to face the consequences of a lurch to the right.

The Tory party are currently working on ways to stop their membership from choosing the next leader because they know the disaster they would foist on the party (remember Truss).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The last thing the Tories need to be paying any attention to at this point is what their members want. Remember, these are the peopl who elected Liz Truss as party leader. The members are part of the problem here.

The people the Tories need to reach out to is not Tory members; it's potential Tory voters — people who didn't vote for the Tories this time around but who might be persuaded to. Becoming even more reformy than they already are is not the way to do this. There is a cohort of people who still vote Tory or who might be persuaded to do so, but who are appalled or disgusted by Nigel Farage. I don't think the Tories can return to power without the support of this group, and merging with Reform is not the way to secure that support.

t's true that Reform picked up a lot of votes, and so split the right-wing vote, and people are saying that this is the reason for the massive Labour majority on what was, in fact, a not-massive Labour vote-share. This is correct. However we need to look a bit deeper than that.

One of the pollsters, More in Common, conducted a post-election poll in which (among other things) Reform voters were asked who they would have voted for, if they hadn't voted for Reform. Only 36% said they would have voted Tory; 25% said they didn't know because they never considered voting for anyone but Reform, 16% said Labour and the rest other parties or unsure.

Plugging this into an election model that uses the July 4 voting figures suggests that, if Reform hadn't stood on 4 July, the Tories wouldn't have had quite such an awful experience but they would still have lost, and lost badly — 162 seats to 384 for Labour.

In other words:

• If the Tories merge with Reform and become, or are seen to become, a Reform-influenced party, that's really bad - some existing Tory voters will go elsewhere, and its highly possible that some Reform voters will too.
    • The best possible outcome of a merger for the Tories is that the Tories merge with Reform and then are seen to effectively strangle it and bury its cadaver in a deep hole — adopt no Reform policies or positions; fairly quickly marginalise or purge ex-Reform figures. This isn't in principal impossible; it's more or less what Cumman na nGaedhal did to the Blueshirts when they merged in 1933. Whether the Tory party in its current battered and bruised condition could pull it off is another matter, though. But, even if they could, and even if if in doing so they could retain the support of all Reform voters who said the Tories were their second choice, it still doesn't seem as if that gets then anywhere near winning an election.

They need to win back some votes from Reform, but becoming more Reform than Reform themselves is not the way to do that. More to the point, they also need to win back the centrist votes they have lost, and becoming more Reform than Reform themselves is certainly not the way to do that. They need to present as a more credible right-of-centre alternative than Reform is, and the key word there is "alternative"; they have to be different from Reform if they want to win back the centre and moderate right-of-centre votes without which they cannot return to power.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

I'm really struggling to see your logic here. The Tories' lurch to the right is what cost them power. Well, that and their sheer corruption and incompetence. The two uniting will just end up condemning the Conservatives to irrelevance unless something spectacular appears that they can use to ruin Sir Keir Starmer. Reform are a fringe party but if they show one thing, it's how easy it is to attack the Tories from the right. It took Farage and Tice no time at all to set it up and get it running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A lurch to the right will kill the Conservative party though it may take them some time to realise this when their most vocal, high-profile MPs are right-wing nutjobs/corrupt charlatans.

It's revival as a party will either rely on someone that most of the public don't currently know, or someone from the past who's seen to have a clean copy-book (Rory Stewart would be who I'd be trying to convince to do this if I were a Tory) emerging as a new leader with a mandate to clean house. From what I understand of their party structure, the only way to achieve this is a huge recruitment drive to re-align the membership of the party with the centre-right that makes up the majority of their voter base.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

How is that their only way back into power? I would suggest a big portion of the Reform vote is from previous Labour voters who will not vote Tory in any way. So you take the 23% of the Tories and the 14% of Reform and it will still not be enough to take power if you remove the votes they will lose from some Reform vote and some moderate Tory votes. They will probably end on around 30%-33% at most and be stuck on that. You win by appealing to the centrists, not by moving further right from an already right wing government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭yagan

It's really hard to gauge how much support a Rejoin style version of Ukip would enjoy when the Johnson majority was essentially split with Reform. But if such a grassroots party was established it could well target seats in the way that Truss lost her seat to Labour even though the majority of the votes in her constituency went to pro Brexit candidates.

It's very long game stuff, but Ukip was laughed at until their mandate became government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It seems the Reform Party are already starting to fall apart, Ben Habib replaced as deputy leader of the party and isn't happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Randycove

longer term, I doubt this is in anyway more damaging to the Tories than when Heorge Galloway left Labour to form the Respect party.

The Tories just need to go back to their original values and not further to the right. The British electorate simply don’t want it any more than they want a hard left. The only issue the Conservative Party have right now is a distinct lack of a good leader.

• Advertisement

I know Reform polled third in many constituencies but surely any potential split is entirely gonna depend on how those actually voted perform? Or indeed if the party even manages to stay cohesive and stable? Nigel Farage is many things but not, in my mind, someone who appears like a leader or manager of people.

And as I type ...

Advertisement