Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD-Upgrade or New Build

• 10-07-2024 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice on whether to upgrade current 2019 system or wait to build a complete from scratch.

My current system
    CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
    MB X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming-CF
    Memory 16GB DDR4-2998 (14996Mhz) Patriot.
    GPU AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
    PSU 750 Gold (2019)

I am wondering if I could get away with just replacing the CPU & GPU with an AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D and AMD RX 7900 gre. The motherboard is listed as compatible with the 5700x3D after a bois upgrade. Is there a better CPU & GPU combo or should I wait and build from scratch on AM5 or comparable intel system.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Coyler

Why are you upgrading? Ask yourself that first. That is a perfectly good system still. Benchmarks are all well and good but if you are gaming on a 1080p60 monitor then you'd be hard pressed to notice much difference.

If you really needed the upgrade then you should upgrade the memory anyway to get full performance from the X3D. May as well get a new motherboards at that point. AM5 B650 boards and Ryzen 7700x (same performace as the 5x00X3D cpus) will be cheaper in less than a month. Maybe earlier. Wait for that.

Or, wait for some second had deals on Ryzen 5000. Perfectly good option as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭centa

@Coyler Thanks for the quick reply. I have a 1440 monitor and my setup is great on older titles but not so good on newer ones. Anyway I think I will wait a bit and upgrade the whole system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Jon Doe

That's a similar setup to what I got back then! xD I only replaced the CPU and GPU because both burned out… :( Else I'd still be running it… What games you're having problems at 1440?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Coyler

After digesting the AM5 launch I think if you see a good deal for and 5x00 CPU or a 6x00 GPU on Adverts then by all means snap it up. They do happen but there are a lot of deluded sellers, unfortunately, but a alert will help. Holding off on a full upgrade for now is wise.

Advertisement