Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

That decision would have decided long before last Sunday, strong rumours he's running in the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

That is a great post, especially point 4.

I disagree Charlie 69, we do not have the players, we struggled to beat any team in Leinster round robin with the exception of Antrim. How would Cork, Clare or Limerick do against Carlow ?? Players like Deegan, Mossy, Richie Reid, Tommy Walsh are good honest hurlers, but that's about it, TJ is 38 in 2025 and will more than likely continue, we have no impact off the bench and i nearly got sick when i seen Fogarty come on, i agree with the posts criticising management, cannot believe we have not found 1 good sub. Eoin Cody is not going to be the top top intercounty forward we were praying for unfortunately, a very good forward but not a Henry, TJ, Eddie, Gillane, Callinan etc.

Management have to find 4/5 new players next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I heard on OTB podcast that there were 102 shots at goal in Cork v Limerick match.

That is staggerring, but I wonder does it diminish the match in terms of quality.

Can a match that sees players get 102 shots away in 70 mins be termed a classic?

And does it feed into something I have long had a fear on, that the game has been made too easy, rules overlooked, essentially dumbed down to provide high scoring spectacles?

The game Sunday was the highest standard i have ever seen when it comes to hurling. The quick puck outs have transformed the game and the ball is in play much longer as a result. How long was wasted before the quick puck outs came in pucking out the ball. Frees are the problem but the referee was excellent Sunday. The mass defences are a thing of the past due to the short game and scoring from distance, it was great to see 2 teams play like they did Sunday, the striking, the physicality, the fielding, the pace, the tactics, the short game. It was all on display Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I would disagree with you Village87 about Deegan, Mossy, Richie Reid and even Tommy Walsh. I think Tommy Walsh is symptomatic of the team and he just shows it more obviously when things are going wrong. I think this all comes back to the coaching and choices made on selection. I actually think we have some great hurlers and we have a good few very good to good hurlers. Not every player has to be Henry, TJ or JJ and if you look back honestly at our great team lots were good to very good players but we had a disproportionate amount of great hurlers mixed in. Sometimes you need a bit of grit and a mulocker, the great Tipp team we faced in the teens, were often accused of having too many good hurlers and not enough warriors.

Deegan could be hugely effective I believe on the half forward line. Mossy actually played the best hurling I ever saw him play as a centre back when he was younger, I'd try him at wing back again or just play better ball into him as a forward. Richie is probably at the end of his time with Kilkenny but if he's kept on I would try him at midfield where his vision could be lethal. I think we have better backs coming through than Tommy Walsh but if he was playing in a system where they all knew their roles and cover was there he's actually very competent. Tommy usually starts out very well but he's the flag for me that the opposition have changed their style and it's working. He begins to flounder and panic because I think he can see what's coming. If we were better coached I'd still be open too Tommy playing and I'd back him to play much better.

Wally, Fogarty, Buckley, and in fact both Reids, I think should all walk away this year and 3 or 4 of them they should have gone last winter. I thank them for their commitment and all they have sacrificed, the huge joy they brought us all over the years, particularly in the early days of their careers when I'm sure it looked to them like they'd never stop winning. There are a few more that have been around the panel for a lot of years now that haven't been getting a run that should go too. It needs a huge refresh and yes it might mean we're a bit less competitive in the short term and next year and the year after might not be great but at least the younger lads will get chances and we might get a team together before Mullen, Cody et al. are getting too old to win. A rebuild is needed and it could happen faster than many might think with the right structure and coaching in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hogans heroes

Great job that teaching.

Hard to argue with any of that. Are you free yourself to go in there

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

if not blowing the whistle for frees makes an excellent ref then he was the best ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Quick Puck outs are being taken before the umpire even waves a white flag or waves it wide, that isnt right, it isn't in the rules and just another example of clever coaching essentially being cheating. Refs havent blown for puckout to be taken but are too scared to "ruin the spectacle", so they nearly always let it off.

Look also at goalies, 3, 4, 5 yards outside their permitted maximum by the time they hit long puckouts. Never ever pulled up.

How can a game where 46 shots at goal didnt register a score be termed the greatest ever standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I wouldn't let me near a team, it's easy from the sidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 neverbet

It was Patrick Mullen you saw ,Adrian's brother, broken wrist I believe. You lost me at point 2 when you wrote "from a bit I've heard" Can I ask from whom? Tittle tattle is just that. Not worth repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

100% tbiggertycome… the players are there if they get proper coaching.

It’s not tittle tattle, I’ve heard it from a member of the panel myself, easy to say that on here I know but that’s an absolute fact.

The puck out can’t be taken without the nod from the ref after a score, so many rules not being applied now though.

Donal Og’s comments have heaped pressure on the ref for the final now in relation to thrown balls. That will suit Cork down to the ground of course.

I know Mossy was blown for a good hand pass against Clare and they got a point from the free in a close game, take that score away and we can tap over the last free for a draw but I actually have no problem with that kind of hand pass being blown if the ref can’t see clear separation.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Would have thought that this type of restructure is what Michael Fennelly was brought in to do through his role as performance lead, seems like a job he would really be enthusiastic about given his background in hurling, sports science and his business giving corporate workshops on leadership and team building to a lot of very large multinationals, was on one of those workshops and although I think that sport/corporate leadership thing has a lot of bullshit about it, Michael is definitely a good communicator and has the charisma to take people with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bettysloft

Cork lost 1.1 v Limerick as a result of the ref calling a throw ball when it wasn't. You didn't hear Pat Ryan complain? Every team is throwing the ball and has some players worse than others. Players have also got better at this skill and it's hard to spot a genuine throw ball. Easy to just constantly say its a throw ball, it doesn't make you right just because you say it. Anyway, it's not the throw ball that's costing us from challenging these teams, it's our forward play. Yes, we might need a corner back, and maybe a will o donoghue type midfielder, but the balance up top isn't right. As another poster has said, look at the quality ball delivered to Gillane. Cody could and would be lethal with that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

the rule is that there should be a definite striking action with the hand which there wasn't

I’m not sure what you mean?… I wasn’t complaining about referees blowing for throws, I said I had no problem with it if clear separation wasn’t obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Eddie Brennan, Ritchie Power & Taggy Fogarty all had lightning raw pace.

Adam Hogan bet Cody to most of the foot races on Saturday.

Billy Ryan is very fast so no surprise he ended up with 1-2 from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Dalton alluded to the ferocity of their A v B internal matches, I’d say Pat Ryan has adopted the Cody internal match method, you fight like a dog to win a jersey and you won’t be getting any frees.

Cork hurling had a niceness to it since 2005, but Ryan has these lads wired up and fighting like dogs.

Both Clare and Cork will genuinely feel they can win this final, which hopefully means it will be a cracked of a final.

• Advertisement

That’s the problem though, Cody shouldn’t have to win foot races to get possession of the ball. The ball into him needs to favour the forward. The ball he gets at the moment is 50-50 at best and often worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Box to box

The ball into our forwards has being poor a long time now,not a weighted pass or backs and forwards on the same page. Some of the ball from defence last Saturday was scandalous. We feared what might happen when the pressure came on and unfortunately this is what came to fruition. Nothing wrong with route one at times but route one after retreating is shocking. In summary it wasn't a step forward so next year is a huge year for lyng. Has he brought anything new to the table? That's debatable. He has kept Cody's team and discarded new lads quickly. He failed to find or look for a number 4 and 6. To be fair cian Kenny has stepped up and donnelly has had a good season along with billy ryan He will have to look hard at trying to find a few forwards. I don't know if looking for browne,leahy and Alan Murphy to come back is the awnser. I think lyng should freshen his backroom team and this includes a high profile s&c coach. He simply can't go back with the same squad and expect different results next year. I wonder if fionn macekssey goes well for olg could he be a option for kk at 6. It's a long time away now but david fogarty,niall Rowe, Jeff neary and clifford should definitely be tried in defence. Blanchfield should be tried and left at 6. Billy drennan needs a huge championship with his club but to me it looks like he needs to be put on a individual training plan. Marty Murphy,Harry shine,Stephen donnelly,geroid dunne could all do with a good club campaign. Last Saturday will hurt management for a while.What would molloy,Shane Murphy and Owen Wall be thinking after that?regarding the county board getting credit for the purchase of land this is 20 years over due. The red light has being flashing a long time now it's 10 years without a minor and senior and one u21 In twenty years that's absolutely very poor I'm anyones language. Kk aren't judged on winning leinsters or losing by one point to the u20 winners. Mindsets have to change. Eddie brennan,Tom mullally and Brian dowling should be sought after and get them involved because theres plenty of vacancies or there definitely should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭King Power Fox

Spot on. Give me a tight tense 2-14 to 3-12 game any day. Two of my favourite games were the 2014 or 2015 final and replay. Two tough teams man to man. I'm sure ye won the replay with a low score by today's standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Marrooned

look I’d say it wasn’t credit given to the county board for the purchase of land just relief by everyone and hopefully it will rise the county out of the present gloom. It has to start somewhere and it may as well be now. As box to box said the panel that was there last year was hardly touched so these lads will have to get a proper chance and not having to quit out of sheer frustration which I believe a few of them are in dispair it’s not easy putting their young lives on hold and getting no return.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I’d be hoping there are people out there that might be planning putting a team together to take on the various management teams that might become available if there is a future for that particular team. I would be hoping that Michael Fennelly would be asking a lot of his former teammates to get involved and help with coaching, god knows we need their help.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 neverbet

A member of the panel, non playing I would suggest and unnamed? An unnamed source, now where have I heard that before? It certainly doesn't render anything loosely suggested i.e gossip as being "absolute fact".

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

in fairness when you compare the CVs of the 3 mentioned, there's a big difference in what has been achieved. Both Brennen and Dowling are still cutting their teeth while Mullally has some record builts up at this stage with MLR, Clara,Shelmaleirs, Naas, Glenmore and Carlow as far as I can recall with success in all those.

Where or what is Eddie at now?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Reading about our supporters in the mirror and their nasty behaviour on the kilkenny gaa supporters facebook page I have to say our supporters are really a disgrace and up their with the English soccer supporters. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

On the club circuit I'd say. Is he somewhere in Tipp?

• Advertisement

I have no reason to be coming on here talking shite and yes I know it’s a fact. Obviously I won’t be naming names I also understand that anyone could claim anything they like on here and of course you’re entitled to believe what you want so I’ll leave it at that.

Advertisement