Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear - future for Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭Shoog

The fact that nuclear will never be cost or capacity competitive with renewables in Ireland - so discussing it's possibility is just another fanboy wet dream. It's frankly a pointless thread at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The claim was that Germany had replaced the loss of generation from closing their last nuclear plants with renewables added in 2022 and 2023. That is simply not correct, and I have shown you that it is not correct repeatedly here using Germany`s own generation data. If you do not wish to accept the data then take it up with Germany. It`s their data not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

We will be importing plenty from France via that new interconnector in Cork. So it will be very much part of our energy mix to back all the white elephant virtue signaling nonsense on the Irish Grid beloved of the WEI fanboys on here.

As I have said before, I have no issues with importing from France. To not do so would be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭gjim

Yeah but to the energy luddites and cranks in this thread, any electricity energy technology which doesn't involve boiling big tanks of water is a form of strange and mysterious witchcraft. Their belief is that we reached the end-game in terms of energy technology in the 1980s and any technology or tool that emerged after that "won't work". To them anything that doesn't consist of a huge steam engine attached to an alternator cannot be useful in the electricity generation field.

So international trade using interconnectors, solar PV, wind turbines, batteries, electrolysis - any technology which has emerged as a useful tool in energy and electricity generation in the last 30 years is viewed with extreme suspicion and skepticism.

If the invention of the personal computer was associated in any way with environmentalism or "the libs", then these guys would be championing big-iron mainframes as the only viable form of computing. Pointing out that you can emulate a Cray on a current smartphone at 10 times the speed and 1/1000th of the cost would not change their minds.

While it's somewhat important that their ludditism is challenged here, i've sort of given up on this thread as the interesting information is drowned out by the crypto-climate change denialism. It's a pity because I'm fascinated by and interested in the history and technology of nuclear power and enjoy technical discussion of the same - unlike the pro-nuclear luddites here - who are driven by a politically motivated hatred of newer tech and not by any real fondness or interest in nuclear.

A person who has demonstrated the ability to maintain skepticism about climate change in the face of overwhelming evidence, science and reason, is likely to be able to apply the same sort of knuckle-dragging resistance to facts and figures about nuclear power.

• Advertisement

To each their own, but as far as I`m concerned anyone with an open mind would read this thread more as an attempt to shut down rather than have a mature discussuon on nuclear power. Even with moderation at one point joining in.

Where there was no problem with those anti nuclear posting costs and claims based on Hinkley, when the cost of offshore wind went through the roof and the price of Finland`s Olkiuoto 3 became known, as well as prices being quoted for building other nuclear plants, any comparisons were threatened with a threadban.

Nuclear capacity beats renewables up a stick every day of the week 52 weeks a year. As for cost competitive with renewables, I have asked you over various threads (seeing as you alone appear to be the only one having those renewable figures), and I`m still waiting for them.

Rejecting facts, statistics, research and scientific consensus is not having "an open mind" whether it comes to climate-change or fairly evaluating electricity generation technology. It the same chat-up line conspiracy theorists, religious fanatics and political ideologues try on to try to get people to consider outrageously silly ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Things are bad if you're citing Olkiluoto 3 in an argument about cost-efficiency: It's kind of like arguing that one venereal disease isn't quite as bad as the others.

The Nuclear industry has a cost control problem, and that's the real reason no government will touch it. Can anyone find a power plant that has come online at less than 200% of the original cost estimate? Olkiluoto 3 was offered as a €3.2 billion fixed-cost contract by its constructor, Areva. After literally years of suit and counter suit, the client ended up paying €5.5 billion for that "fixed €3.2 billion cost", and the contractor still made a fatal €5.5 billion loss on the project - that sounds like it cost €11 billion to me, or 340% of the original agreed price.

I'm not a luddite on Nuclear power; I just think the way it's run right now is a scam, where constructors bait and switch governments, and leave taxpayers holding the can. Olkiluoto 3 was unusual because the Finns stood their ground, but by doing so they bankrupted the constructor, leaving the French rather than Finnish taxpayers with the bill. There's always a bailout in every nuclear plant build...

Post edited by KrisW1001 on

We know that even after all the delays and budget over run Olkiluoto 3 cost €11 Billion and would supply over 30% of our present requirements.

You do realise dont you that offshore wind has a major cost control problem`, in that costs have risen by 60% -70% and New York has signed up for a strike price for offshore that is the same as Hinkley, where those backing wind where not long ago telling us it was "the most expensive power plant ever built". Taiwan has also signed up to pay silly money for I GW of offshore nameplate capacity, where offshore has less than half the capacity factor of nuclear and one third the lifespan ?

What I find on this thread….and I don`t know if I would term it tragic or funny…. is the posters on here who are anti nuclear who quote chapter and verse on costs of nuclear cannot even give a costing for what they favour. And btw, on taxpayers being on the hook for nuclear, who do you think is going to be on the hook for these renewables other than the taxpayer/consummer even for generation that would not be either needed or required where the price would be double the strike price with the 50/50 domestic hydrogen split and they would still have to pay on top for anything generated by hydrogen.

• Advertisement

+60% is not +240%, and there are plenty of renewable projects that have come in on budget.

When has a nuclear plant build come in on budget? The actual budget given at signing of contracts, I mean.

Nuclear is supposed to be a mature technology, but it's getting more and more expensive to construct. That's not how things happen in any other kind of engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Are you for real?

I don't how many times I've listed what makes Ireland differ from the continent and asked you nuclear fanboi Three Amigos how we can work toward a NPP on the island.

Nothing but nonsense replies about how bad renewables are. France this, German coal something something Dunkelflaute.

How many engineering projects are you aware of that were proposed without anyone having a clue as to what the price would be? Because that is what is being proposed with an offshore/hydrogen plan that will not even meet the projected demand, where we know that just the Capex for the offshore section alone will be nothing much short of €200 Billion with further massive Capex being required every 20 -25 years, plus a hydrogen plan on top where nobody has a clue if it will even work to scale or how much it will cost where the cconsummer will pay for all the electricity generated even if we neither want or need it ?

How is nuclear getting more expensive to construct compared to offshore. We know that even over budget and late 3 Olkiluotos 3s would provide all our present needs for €33 Billion, so how does that compare to providing the same from offshore wind where costs rose by 60% - 70% within a year and wind companies pulled out of agreed contracts until they got more money ?

Something that some posters were warning a year earlier that was going to happen from turbine manufacturers alone losing billions and going out of business for other posters here to hand wave away because economy of scale was somehow supposedly going to lower costs. That didn`t age well.

If there is one thing where we really are different from the rest of Europe or anywhere else it`s that nobody is planing on putting all their eggs in a wind/hydrogen plan, other than perhaps the Germans and their committment to green generation was shutting down the last of their nuclear plants that were providing 14% of their electricity carbon free during an energy crises that along with Putin they were partly responsible for. Even Greta Thunberg could not get her head around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

The only country operating in a remotely similar regulatory regime as Ireland would be is the UK, and we have Hinkly C to illustrate how much it would cost us to construct a nuclear power plant. Everything else is hand waving mania.

And even then at least half of the costs are simply never accounted for when reckoning the life cycle costs of a plant.

It's farcical.

The IAEA regulatory requirements on nuclear are the same for every country. It`s farcical to suggest they are not.

If you can drag yourself away from naval gazing at Hinkley for a minute take a look at Finland a country with the same population as Ireland.

Finland drove a company to bankruptcy so not a good example, but no the regulatory environment is not as close as that of the UK.

The fact is the Irish regulatory regime is even harder than the UK for large infrastructure projects, and then there is the simple fact that Ireland would be starting from scratch - which would add considerable costs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

By 2015 German renewables were producing more energy than German nuclear ever did.

By 2022 German renewables were producing four times as much energy as nuclear did in 2020.

Renewables replaced nuclear a long time ago. Some people haven't accepted it yet.

THe sact is that Finland have a source of electricity for €11 Billion that would provide over 30% of our present needs, but I`m sure when you get around to supplying those costs for this proposed offshore plan for here they will show how much cheaper we could do the same with offshore wind and hydrogen. Still waiting for those costs btw.

If the regulatory regulations are even harder for here than the U.K. then you do realise that would leave the offshore capex for here even more expensive than those calculated based on the U.K. prices, but I`m sure you will add that to your calculations of the cost of the offshore/hydrogen proposal.

Everybody started from scratch at some stage. The French being just one example and it has done them no harm with emissions and billions in export sales of electricity every year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oh FFS The regulatory requirements in the UK aren't even the same as the regulatory requirements in the UK when Hinkley-C was supposed to have been finished.

In a letter to staff, seen by the BBC, Stuart Crooks, the managing
    director of Hinkley Point C, said there were 7,000 substantial design
    changes required by British regulations that needed to be made to the
    site, with 35% more steel and 25% more concrete needed than originally
    planned.

They might have avoided them had they learnt lessons from the three previously completed EPR's.

The optimistic figures are that if Hinkley C isn't delayed any further then Drax will earn £45 Bn from 2024-2030 to provide the 22 TWh per year that Hinkley C won't. Producing 3.5 million tonnes of Scope 3 emissions a year too.

How much did it cost Finland to import 12 TWh per year while OL3 was delayed ?

Here's a clue - The start of a much-delayed nuclear plant in Finland has helped bring down electricity prices by more than 75 per cent in the Nordic country.

https://stat.fi/en/statistics/salatuo Fossil fuel going down even though nuclear is static (another nail in the coffin of the myth of nuclear replacing fossil) peat going down too. And you can see wind starting to ramp up.

2021 8.18 TW

2022 11.56 TWh

2023 14.467 TWh (pdf)

That's an increase of over 6 TWh in three years vs waiting how many years for OL3's 12 TWh ??

In 2023 Finland had 1,601 wind turbines with a cumulative capacity of 6,946 MW … An increase of around 1,000 MW is expected for 2024 and almost 1,500 MW of new wind power capacity is already known for 2025.

They are getting over 14 TWh from 7 GW of onshore wind, so probably getting 16 TWh this year and 19 TWh next year , which is almost an OL3 more than they were getting in 2021.

Potential production for a 3MW turbine for C May and D December The Baltic Sea is shallow so plenty of offshore wind for the taking

Most years hydro alone covers French exports. Video goes back to 1965

I was asking a simple question, it has an answer that anyone who is so interested in nuclear power should know… if it made an argument in favour of nuclear.

Projects are proposed all the time without detailed costings, but no project is ever commenced without an agreed, budgeted cost. With all other types of generation, once you sign off on contacts, you can expect to get the thing operational more or less when you asked for it, for more or less what you said you'd pay; for nuclear these days, nobody can predict it, and that's why governments aren't interested.

You seem to be under the impression that €11 billion is good value for a power plant. It's not, and things are looking even worse for Hinkley C.

The other end of the problem for nuclear is that the cost of decommissioning plants at end of life has turned out to be far higher than estimated too. Decommissioning a gas or coal or oil plant is quick and easy; a solar or wind farms can be disassembled and taken away, but a nuclear plant takes years and billions to safely bring out of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 scrabtom

I'm no expert on any of this but it seems from this discussion there are two easy conclusions that can be drawn.

1. Renewables may not be that good a solution to our energy needs.
    2. Nuclear is definitely not a good solution to our energy needs.

Yep. Renewables alone won't cut it; we need renewables plus storage or something else to carry the base load.

I actually think nuclear would fit that bill in theory, but the experience of other nations, who have experience and infrastructure on their side, rules it out for a country like Ireland.

Storage is an area that's seeing a lot of investment in existing technologies that until now had limited use. Before, a battery technology like iron-air that is dirt cheap to make, but too big to move anywhere had no commercial viability. But "dirt cheap" is exactly what you need for huge storage, and in a static installation, weight and density don't matter (same reason nobody builds houses out of carbon fibre composites)

There's a name for this type of fallacious argument but it escapes me.

Renewables will not - with current technology - get us to 100% carbon-free electricity generation. That does not imply that "renewables may not be that good a solution to our energy needs".

Ireland missed out on the industrial revolution because we had no coal (or later oil). As wind and solar and batteries have started to dominate all new investment globally (85% globally of all new capacity in 2023), Ireland is actually placed to become a net exporter of energy for the first time. You'd think this would be great news and promote genera rejoicing etc. but instead there a contrarian element who insist that by merely following global trends in shifting to carbon-free energy, Ireland is heading for disaster.

If anyone is actually interested in understanding the current global revolution in energy, you could do worse than start by reading the IEA's report for 2023 (and the IEA have traditionally been relatively bearish on renewables) here: https://www.iea.org/reports/renewables-2023/electricity

TLDR highlights: new renewable capacity added globally was up 50% in 2023 over 2022. China is on target to add 2TW of renewable capacity by 2028 (in terms of annual energy production equivalent to 30 times the nuclear capacity added in the last 10 years). Renewables now supply 30% of all electricity consumed globally.

Renewables are unstoppable at this stage whatever you want to believe in terms of feasibility - there is simply no other game in town in this sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 scrabtom

By "may not" I mean that there is uncertainty as to whether renewables will suffice, not that it is definite that they will not suffice.

I definitely hope that they will be, as there isn't really another option available in a carbon neutral world.

Certainly nuclear will not save the day in any shape or form. It may play a peripheral role but even that is debatable.

Globally there's 90 years of economic uranium reserves at current rates of extraction. Nuclear provides about 9% of global electrical production. So for nuclear to provide all the electricity takes you down to 10 years of reserves.

But if you include full decarbonisation of heating and transport then you are down to 3 years. And the initial fuelling for a reactor takes about 3 years worth of fuel.

Most of the US and USSR warheads were turned into fuel long ago.

There's lots of uranium out there but all the easy stuff is long gone and it's diminishing returns on the poorer ores, and energy intensive too if you start processing things like granite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement