Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [LOI Thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Jarvis. Get a mention in for him early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Longford Town won a football match, that deserves a thread of its own tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Us and Bohs in for Dawson Devoy apparently. Would expect him to go back to Dalymount.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd expect his preference is Bohs, but whether we've space in midfield for him is another thing (sadly he's better than what's there though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭jonnreeks

Shams get away with a draw in Iceland, hopeful they can do the job in the 2nd leg in Tallaght next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Should have been a win too. Kenny should have gone wider and shot it past the keeper instead of trying to shoot over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Was hoping for 4 wins and 2 draws going into this round. Settle for 3 and 3.

Rovers were the biggest risk to that but a great result from them, from stats it looked like they were on the back foot for much. Big year needed from a coefficients standpoint after last year's debacle so hopefully it's a good start and they can get a result at home too.

Am I right in saying that next season we will have one team in the Europa League too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Kenny is an absolutely terrible finisher. I'd say he misses 9/10 chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

His finishing is actually much better this year with 10 goals. Nice to see Jack Byrne getting back to form, was popping up all over the pitch last night. Spun away nicely from tackles and hit some nice passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭srfc d16

Is the old thread unavailable now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's closed but all the posts are still there. Unfortunately due to some sort of glitch there's a few blank pages but no posts are missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

His finishing is actually much better this year with 10 goals

Yeah, but he misses a ton of chances.

Nice to see Jack Byrne getting back to form, was popping up all over the pitch last night. Spun away nicely from tackles and hit some nice passes.

I didn't see the match. What would your verdict be on it? Were we decent? Tactically smart? Were we lucky to be level, or unlucky not to get an away goal? What are the other team like?

Yes, different setup to last year when we were too open. Last night played with two banks of four , Greene up front and Jack Byrne popping up all over the place. Only remember Polis having one save to make but having said that they forced a lot of corners but we dealt with them pretty well. They had a big man in the area they had to keep hitting as they couldn't play through us. Looked a bit slow at the back, might be able to exploit that next week.For Kennys first chance he might have beenbetter setting up Jack Byrne who was on his right in space. Second I was sure was a goal but just too high but the keeper did make himself big and trying to go around him is always a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Second player of the month award today for the best player in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Justice doesn’t always prevail for the good guys unfortunately.

Rayhaan Tulloch signed for us. Would make me wonder if we're going to lose the greatest player in the world back to Hull, as the last thing we need is another attacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Need the depth for when you make the conference league group stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not sure how reliable transfermarkt is but according to them former Dundalk goalkeeper Nathan Sheppard is without a club currently. Surely he would be an upgrade on Pohls for Shamrock Rovers

In seriousness, I'd imagine someone is on the way out, and Jarvis would be the most likely candidate. There is no way we need Boyd, Martin, Jarvis, Tulloch, Smith, Burt, Coote, Wood, Caffrey as coverage between strikers and attacking midfielders. That is 9 lads who would start at alot of teams in the league and we can only play 4 of them on any given week really unless there is a change of system.

Jarvis back to Hull or Rovers recalling Burt would not shock me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭srfc d16

I can't speak for Jarvis but it would shock me if Rovers recalled Burt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Pohls isn't great but neither is shepard, seems too small for a keeper as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Golden Miller will have to get counselling.

Thought Duff was confident they had Jarvis for the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I think it'd be strange for Jarvis to head off with only 12 league games left, and whatever cup matches

There is no specific suggestion we are losing him, other than us signing a really really good player (when I saw him at least) who plays in the same position as him.

Good luck to the lads in the Will Jarvis fan club tonight.

I'm one of those hope all the LOI clubs do well in Europe types.

Hammer them for the co efficient 😅

Hull have a new manager and there are fans on their forum looking for a Jarvis recall

https://not606.com/threads/summer-2024-transfer-thread.412326/page-257#post-17680345

anyway, whatever about Jarvis or any other nonsense.

I'm fcking buzzing for tonight, my kid's first european adventure, and I'm bringing two mates who've been coming to Tolka with me over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Don't know if he would have much say in the matter if Hull wanted him back

• Advertisement

Hope you do well, I too like to see the LOI teams do well. Yes, even Rovers.

It helps the league, gives 2 fingers to the "I wouldn't watch that rubbish " mob.

Plus, if you have a decent run in Europe, might tire you out for the league run in and we might have a chance of catching you.

We won't go past Zurich if we win this round, that's definitely a bridge too far.

Got my ticket this morning for our trip to Bray sunday week, should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Good luck to Shels and Derry this evening.

Do it for the coefficient!

Maybe Duff can get some consistency out of Tulloch but he seemed to lack that at Dundalk. He put together a decent highlight reel I'm sure but he was a passenger a lot of the time as well.

He was ridiculous and unplayable whenever he played against us so my experience of him will naturally be biased towards that.

• Advertisement

good luck to Shels and Derry tonight, let’s get the coefficients up, helps us all

I'm going to personally fight the City of Derry if they keep this up. 1 down in Gibraltar, it's apparently above 30 degrees, they've hit the bar and had a shot cleared off the line, but still no excuse to be losing.

Won't somebody think of the coefficient 😪

Embarrassing stuff from Derry. 2 down in Gibraltar.

They're having a TNS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Derry are a disgrace

Not a great result for the "the league isn't weaker, it's just more even across the board" crowd.

Pure muck, and extremely telling of the standard this year that Derry are likely to finish 2nd quite comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Terrible from Derry. A lot of pressure on them next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

That Magpies club is only 11 years old

Higgins plumbs new depths.

Worst I have ever seen us play, and that's saying something. Totally embarrassing.

Our own fans were leaving with 5min to go. And then they booed the team at the end.

A total chancer, hasn't a clue.

I'd sack Higgins tonight, I really would.

Give us a chance with the return game and the league. Cos Higgins is winning neither

• Advertisement
Advertisement