Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2024 AH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Spain have one man on their team who literally NEVER seems to lose a game.

He’ll boss the midfield along with Fabian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I never want to hear Ronnie Whelan on commentary ever again.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Listening to the interview with Kane, the first final on foreign soil for England.

Given how they have a big population and football is clearly the number one sport, it's amazing how much they underachieve, they've stumbled and bumbled through this tournament and they are somehow in the final, Spain are a more cohesive unit, but it's hard to rule England out.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,864 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was a weird tournament with games across 11 countries but England was the host for the main games.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

2 piss poor teams there tonight. Finals are impossible to call, a **** Italy team beat a better England team than this one the last time !. I reckon the harry kane curse will see Spain win on penalties hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's worse that it could happen on German soil. Final needs to be moved to Paris. They know how to treat English fans, as Liverpool know all too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Ref with an El Shocker but only a fool would suggest that the wrong team made the Final.

Fully deserved win there but yet again a change up front that was required worked much better.

Kane is the issue but Southgate won’t have the sprouts to bench him I’m betting.

Come on Spain

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

The Spanish have a recent history of getting over the line, England don't. That alone is worthless

• Registered Users Posts: 29,864 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is very strange... even back to the 70s and 80s when English teams were very strong in Europe, though a lot of that was down to Irish, Scots, Welsh. Not qualifying for 1974, 1978 and 1994 World Cups.

Spain were the same until 2010 breakthrough... big under performance.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Rodri, Yamal, Olmo, vamos los rojos

I think he backed the total bookings points as he was handing out yellows all the way through for obscure reasons. There was 6 yellows in that game and I can't remember a dirty challenge tbh

Oh, actually, Carvajal is back for the final 😬🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

The Spain sides of 2010 have no relation to the current side. By and large post 2012 England have probably had better results overall

History of winning in all sports has an effect. Mayo in the all Ireland, Ireland rugby team and quarter finals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GHendrix

I wouldn’t actually mind England winning if they deserved it. They’re a big country with football as number 1 sport and one of the biggest leagues in the world full of superstars.

But they play awful football. They’ve gotten an easy run to the final twice now, scraping by the likes of Slovakia. They still resort to diving with the likes of Kane, Sterling, Bellingham to win pens etc

For those reasons, I’d hate to see them win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Football is turning into a non contact sport, and refs are being fooled by the diving. it is sickening to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Bad news just in....

RTE have confirmed that Darragh Maloney and Ronnie Whelan will be commentating the final.....

West brits in chief.....

The good news is that Jacqui Burley and Joanne Cantwell wont be presenting....

The best news is that Spain will win comfortably....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Spain to win but I want it to go down to the wire 1-1 then extra time and all down to penalties

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭boetstark

Lots of lemons on this forum tonight. Hope England stuff Spain. The tears will be a joy to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Paella vs Fish and Chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

England have been poor so far, particularly considering the players and resources available to them. They haven't played a good team yet and have been scraping by average teams. It's been a very poor tournament, normally you'd say that England's performances aren't deserving of a final place but there's no other team you could say are deserving of being there (apart from Spain obviously but they are in the final).

Both finalists are strong at the back and in midfield but both are captained by a striker whose starting place is seriously questionable. I'd suggest that both teams would benefit from dropping their captain but doubt either will do it. It's less of an issue for Spain though as they get plenty of goals from midfield.

Spain are just the better team overall and have a manager who is willing to make changes before the final 10 minutes. Spain have beaten Italy, Croatia, Germany and France to make the final, it would be a travesty if they didn't win it.

Plus there are few things in this world which I would hate more than seeing that Gobshite Pickford winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,816 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If Foden and Mainoo can play for 70ish minutes rather than 40 as they did, then anything is possible for Eng.
    I'd drop Kane too.

It's a final, literally anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Indeed. The inferiority complex is alive and well in Oirland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

He was practically pleading with the referee to give the penalty last night.

Generally i don;t care what England win, it really doesn't bother me. However, for football reasons, i hope Spain beat them on Sunday. If they don't , hey ho. I won't lose any sleep.

It will still be Southgates final game. No point carrying on when he knows he'd of got lucky winning this. He can go out after winning a majoy tournament and get a nice gig in the FA for the rest of his days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Disagree really, people just read into it as a narrative. Ireland narrowly lost to to New Zealand and another day they win last year. Knockout competitions are like that.
    To a certain degree England have already got over that, with 2 finals in 3 competitions (following 0 since 66)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭supernova5

unfortunately I think Sean Tarbh's name is on the cup, totally blessed with good fortune since tournament began

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

………🤢

Advertisement