Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Air Hostess Allegedly Domestically Abused In Dubai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

oh ok I admit it - I only have leaving cert English - didn’t know we needed a PhD to contribute - I sowwy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I would suggest not reading the bible....

Seriously, so you actually believe that Muslims think it's ok to beat their wives and marry 6 year olds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've no idea how people keep falling for it. Must be getting time for another reference to dead Gazan children again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

ah look - reporting function does fck all these days - then you get a mod rolling in in panic realising they’ve completely neglected the thread and ban everyone who as much makes a typo and leaves the troll to troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nothing I said broke the rules lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Shellfishfcuker

Delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Victim blaming again, you're making quite a habit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

This is incorrect, but I have explained my rationale enough times by now and it’s getting repetitive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would suggest not reading the bible....

This old saw trotted out by cultural apologists? Unfortunately for same it doesn't bear much historical, theological, cultural, or even political scrutiny. While the Christian texts, very much in particular the Old Testament have plenty of odious passages to modern(and not so modern) sensibilities they're not even close to widely celebrated as a template to live one's life. If anything such "troubling" passages are and have been avoided like the plague, even among your tiny number inbred snake handling sects in the US.

For a start and even though in practice this could vary Christianity had a state/religion separation built in from early on. "My kingdom is not of this earth" etc. In Islam the state is the faith and vice versa. It's a lot harder to separate them and stay within the tenets of the faith and as we've seen particularly in the Middle East, when push came to shove, the tendency is to revert to more fundamentalism, a return to the faith, not less. The founders and held up as ideals of both faiths could hardly be any different either. One, an itinerant preacher, the other a warlord who founded an empire on conquest and subjugation.

Seriously, so you actually believe that Muslims think it's ok to beat their wives and marry 6 year olds?

Depends on the culture. In Islam a woman is subservient to the men in her life in ways that would or should have card carrying feminists a twitching. This is undeniable. And though child brides are to be found in many backward cultures they're also associated with Islamic nations and the more Islamic, the more they're found. EG Saudi Arabia has no lower age range for marriage.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭paul71

I have read the ridiculous comments comparing Irish suicide law to those in UAE, so firstly I will state the obvious difference between Ireland in 1992 and UAE today.

Ireland had a legacy Common law in 1992 making suicide or attempted suicide a criminal act. The last prosecution was in the early 1960s against a person who committed suicide, I have found no prosecutions of a survivor in the 20th century.

So Ireland had a bad 16th century legacy law which had been ignored for 100 years and not enforced.

UEA on the other hand repealed their suicide laws a decade ago, but in practice just charged someone under a law that now no longer exists.

Anyone failing to see the difference is ignoring the nose on their face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

UEA on the other hand repealed their suicide laws a decade ago, but in practice just charged someone under a law that now no longer exists.

I don't think it is actually a crime. They have a mechanism to "help" people who attempt suicide by giving a judge the power to send them to a mental home for up to 6 months. Or what they call a "healing facility".

The charges were always going to be dropped even if done it very quick time in this instance.

They only got married in March and were charged with mutual assault in May. They reconciled and withdrew the charges against each other.

Sounds like a classic horrible violent marriage with alcohol a factor, hardly a unique situation but always sad.

Hopefully she gets home soon and her family convince her not to reconcile again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭volchitsa

LOL that's some stretch there! Drinking alcohol is explicitly banned, yet lots of Muslims do it, so no, I don't think that all Muslims do everything it says in the Quran.

I made a different point. Maybe try reading other posts instead of projecting your imagination on them?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Will the piece of $hit husband be in trouble at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I thought alcohol was decriminalised in Dubai a few years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hopefully the publicity this case is getting will dissuade other young Irish men and women from migrating to Dubai to benefit from slavery and oppression via low taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

like to think so but probably not…

did she make it out of dubai yet? hope so…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭yagan

Wouldn't be surprised if tourist concessions get reported as general legalisation.

The whole point of the likes of Dubai paying for influencers is to present a superficial appearance of western norms.

So when I say you have read it wrong, you think you know better than I do what I wrote?

Okaaay.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

I was talking about what it says in the Quran, not what Dubai legislation says about it.

AFAIAA alcohol is allowed in certain places in Dubai, and is tolerated more generally eg in private homes, for foreigners at least (and wealthy Dubai citizens of course), but its ambiguous status is also used as a way to keep bothersome foreigners quiet, because they are often technically breaking the law on alcohol, so that is a weapon that can always be used against them if they ever try to complain about other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Well it depends - An Indian Woman (who was Hindu) called out that Prophet Muhammed was a pedo as

it states in Islamic texts that Muhammed raped a 9 year old girl. Nothing made up.

What followed was many Muslim groups calling here to be killed and stoned (India is a Hindu Country btw not Muslim). Many muslim leaders were paying large sums of money to anyone who could cause great harm to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

She's on her way home to roscommon they say...... Has the poor woman not suffered enough....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭yagan

Delighted for her. As I mentioned in an earlier post I had a friend escape from Saudi Arabia back in the 90s. I guess another generation has to learn that under the superficial appearances lies a medieval polity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,213 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Interesting, yet you have condemned Israel elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Fantastic news. You'd wonder how long she'd haveto wait to get home if it wasn't for MLD raising the issue in the Dail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Yes, but weren't the couple in a restaurant before the attack?

Anyway, I just read she is home. Very happy for her, that she is out of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think her family going to the media also might have put pressure for a quicker resolution, the story was everywhere, is everywhere in the media not just in Ireland

I hope it will deter others from going to live there and be careful when picking partners but you can never tell, love is tricky

Advertisement