Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17 - Knock to Collooney [design & planning underway]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

single carriageway even with hard shoulders are death traps and are not the way forward. You get a truck or slow driver and they half pull in, the. The car overtakes and oncoming vehicles pull towards the hard shoulder to get out of the way coming in the opposite direction. I see it on the N17 and N5 every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Westernview

They are ok on low volume roads, regional roads and most national secondary routes but as I said before I think we should be aiming to have DC standard for all National primary routes. Safety the priority but even from the point of view of the economy no one should be stuck behind a tractor or other slow moving vehicle on primary routes. It's lost time to businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

guess you could be all day highlighting incidents on this stretch of road, another today, luckily no humans killed just livestock. https://www.oceanfm.ie/2024/06/04/n17-at-ballinacarrow-reopens-following-crash/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cartoncowboy

Its getting ridiculous now, almost every 2 weeks there is an incident of one kind or another…

If it overturned then I'm guessing the truck met another large vehicle where the road was narrow and there was a soft verge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Some movement on addressing safety concerns on the N17. Whatever they come up with will have to involve eliminating or greatly reducing right hand turns. Otherwise a waste of time. Type 2 DC minimum is really what's needed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cheers. Didn't know about that thread. Reposted article to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Unfortunately regardless of all of these accidents and crashes (which have come out of nowhere really - I've been on this forum for years and I've never seen it anything like this bad), it is years and years until any new road gets built. What are interim measures?

Only at discussion stage it seems but the static speed cameras proposed for the N5 black spot at Swinford might be one good measure to reduce speeding. The junctions are a big problem though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

It is combination of speed, lack of clear line of sight, no proper filter lanes and worse is people not using the filter lane when turning off. I've seen it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

The roads are also a lot busier than when the Claremorris/Knock bypass opened. If it was being designed now it would have to be a dual carriageway like the new N5.

You have loads of reasons for an increase in accidents. Speed, overtaking, phone use, tiredness/falling asleep, drink/drugs….

All of those reasons yes. I would also add people overtaking at filter lane locations and increasingly people driving in the hard shoulder. The latter issue I witnessed recently near Turlough where I was coming onto the N5 from a side road and a line of cars whizzed by in the hard shoulder, instead of slowing down and waiting for a car to turn right off the main road.

Drugs and phones have definitely become a big factor in recent times. Even with all the human factors a dual carriageway would be so much safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I heard there will be further speed restrictions at Achonry between the Muckelty junction and the football pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Speed restrictions will just lead to frustrated drivers passing dangerously when they get to a half straight stretch. I properly hate that road now. Too many close ones, lorries inches from your mirror, people in a hurry tailgating. I avoid it now where possible and pity those who can’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Apologies for cross-posting (that's already posted in Motors forum), but IMO no early is too early to get that road properly done at last!

That was just yesterday morning on N17 at Ballymote junction (R293), co. Sligo. I'm genuinely happy to be still alive.

The very same spot that witnessed two accidents on the same day, 16 of January 2024. And yet, TII say it's fkn safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

According to TII's logic you should have crashed into the van, increasing the collision stats and improving the case for junction improvement works.

• Advertisement

Jesus that could have been curtains for you if there was oncoming traffic. Not surprising though. We don't hear about all the near misses that must be happening daily.

It only reinforces my view that nothing other than a DC with no right hand turns will make that road safe. Looks like it will be an election issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Well done for avoiding that! If you weren't 100% concentrating that could have been very different!

We pass that junction regularly, it is getting increasingly busy. A roundabout is not the answer. The entire road needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats one hell of a save from your end, that could have been very, very nasty.

Not to take away from the other cars bad driving at all, but I would IMAGINE that he couldn't see you coming at all - your car was completely obscured by the one turning left from his point of view. He should, for definite, have waited until he could see the road is clear.

The only way to make this junction safer in the short term is narrowing it to get rid of that left turn slip so the mainline has to slow down for someone turning left. That way the situation you had would not arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

That left-turn slip is the problem. The car turning left there blinded the van driver, but the presence of three lanes here also tricked the van driver into thinking that he would be pulling out ahead of the left-turning car.

Normally where there are three lanes at a left-turn, the arrangement is: 1. Straight through, or left-turners; 2. Right-turn lane for opposing traffic; 3. Through-lane for opposing traffic.

What makes this junction so dangerous is that the order has changed to 1. Left-turners; 2. Straight Through; 3. Straight-through and right turn for opposing traffic: The direction of traffic in the middle lane of the three is reversed compared to normal practice, and this is potentially lethal. If you are used to the normal arrangement of lanes at junctions, drivers approaching N17 here from R293 and wishing to turn left will assume that if the lane closest to them is clear, or has a car making a turn into their side-road, then the way is clear, because the middle and far lanes are travelling in their opposite direction. So, you look right, and wait for that lane to become safe to join, then pull out.

That assumption is dangerously incorrect here, because the nearest lane ends right at the junction (the lane markings are vague too, so it’s unclear that this is the case), and there’s a second through-lane: you can see the van driver realise their mistake as they have to come out further than they thought they would, and are then met with a car coming from a direction they weren’t even looking in.

Yes, the van should have waited until the entire junction was clear, but the road design tricked them into thinking it was safe to emerge here, when it absolutely was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭I told ya

Can't see a problem with the junction. It's protected by a Stop sign. All the driver had to do was stop and wait for safe gap in the traffic to enter the N17. Basic stuff really.

Can't see any insurance company accepting 'road design tricked me', let alone the local Sgt or DJ. Driving school 101.

Advertisement