Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Humphreys has certainly upped the amount of noise in the press since he took over

Nucifora done very little media and I didn't really see an issue with that, Humphreys seems to have done more interview in the few weeks since he joined than Nucifora done in a few years

It's a bit mental to come out with this stuff? what happens if a province has an injury crisis and has no option?

Why does the media need to know if the IRFU will or won't allow NIQ in front row?

Bland statement that IRFU and provinces are putting a new focus on front rows, done

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭FtD v2

Agreed with the views expressed here, don’t see the logic in being so prescriptive (injury crises for example could easily occur) and announcing it publicly like this feels a bit performative.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You’d imagine in a complete injury crisis, there’d still be scope for a medical joker. It’s a different scenario than a strict NIQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The only way it makes sense to go public is if they are exasperated by the amount the Provinces come asking for permission to sign NIQ frontrowers. Maybe they're trying to change a mindset and make provincial coaches more positive about backing homegrown players.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Nash is generally alright under the high ball but he definitely struggled there last weekend. I don't think he won a single catch and 3-4 came his way including a great crossfield bomb from Crowley which Nash had a clear run at and let it go straight through his hands when unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It may be that he actually means "we're really going to try not to sign NIQs except in really exceptional circumstances" - but what he said is so black and white that he's made a rod for his own back the first time we have to depart from it, and it's inevitable that we will.

The hard and fast rules that were brought in while Kidney was in charge didn't work and didn't last, I don't expect it to be any different this time.

If it is a blanket ban then it is possibly against EU employment law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Lets be fair. Clearly that's the medical joker option. Humphreys is making a statement of intent. I've no problem with it.

Why should honesty and clarity be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

“It’s not about putting pressure on the provinces, but they need to develop props to ensure that they are competitive, both now and as they need to replace some of the more senior players coming through.

“There’s every likelihood because of the challenge we have in the frontrow positions, that from next year onwards there won’t be frontrow forwards coming into the provinces that won’t be Irish qualified.

“Andy [Farrell] can’t go out and sign foreign players, so we have got to find ways to make sure that, yes, we have a national responsibility, but that starts with the provinces and the pressure will be on them.

“You have got to deliver those players to make you be competitive. If they do that, because of the way our system is structured and the game time and opportunities, those players will come through and develop into international players.”

That's a perfectly reasonable statement from Humphreys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Fascinating comment from Easterby on selection for the weekend. Fairly damning for the players that do get dropped, if any.

Easterby explained: “Selection is always a balance between knowing that players maybe didn’t produce the type of performance you believe and know they’re capable of, and that they know they’re capable of doing, and also giving an opportunity. That will be reflected in the selection this week.

The IRFU are talking direct to the provinces, why would they need to go into the public?

Now I know some discussions have been leaked to the press and fans get all up in arms because XYZ isn't getting signed but that is just going to increase if the IRFU/Humphreys think the best thing is to do everything via the media

They shouldn't have to change the coaches mindset, when they become a provincial coach the role should be very clear

By the way I just seen this update from Humphreys on another group posted, it was posted as if Humphreys/IRFU are banning all NIQ front row. But before Nucifora left he managed to sneak one past the post by Leinster getting a replacement for Alalalalalalalaltoa

You can see why now Nucifora stayed out of the media and if Humphreys plan is to deal with everything via the media expect a sh*t storm like this as people think everything is a slight against their particular province

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Well, Nucifora certainly seemed to hold the view that the Munster coaches needed to be encouraged to view things differently. Talking about the 2022 EI tour, he said:

“What it enabled the provinces to do was to see their provincial players in a different light with different coaches. From that, it turned Munster’s season around. They started selecting players they weren’t selecting. It was a definite change; it isn’t the sole reason [they won the URC] but it was a big part of it. For the national coaches it was a way for them to be able to get a better understanding of the talent pool.”

People are influencable by the information they see and hear. If it's in the public domain that no NIQ frontrowers are allowed it's likely that coaches' thinking will change somewhat because it'll just become accepted that looking for signings isn't an option.

Never heard that comment before but he is wrong? I have said the same since the EI tour so it seems I agree with Nucifora and never knew it :-)

The provinces shouldn't need Humphreys in the media telling them no NIQ. That should be done behind closed doors.

Everyone can see Ireland is light on front rows and it's natural the provinces will need to concentrate on producing them, they do get paid a lot of money by the IRFU for players.

But the answer here is not to land at Leinster door and see who they have in the academy which was been pushed by Jackman on a recent podcast. He is the one constantly in the media talking about NIQ front rows and people lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Harry Byrne being very publicly told that his international career is over for the foreseeable future in those comments also.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

leinster players been told that before for not moving.

He never mentioned comment above, he referred to comments in the linked article.

Which was a twitter link of Nucifora saying no NIQ signing in front row

So struggling to see how that affects Harry Byrne?

Ahh I get it now, the RTE link and these comments

"If you're happy to sit third, maybe fourth choice when you could be
    playing somewhere else and potentially developing your career that's not
    the sort of player that will be travelling to places like this [South
    Africa] on tour."

Harry Byrne played more games last season for Leinster than the others 10 in Leinster. So how is he 3rd or 4th?

More of a pop at Deegan who Ulster wanted and Im sure pissed off Humphreys when he didn't go, also was captain of the last EI tour so that would make more sense than Harry

• Advertisement

It isn't.

It's a link to Humphrey's comments about NIQ and players moving around or being happy to be 3rd or 4th place intheir provinces.

I've no idea what link you're following or reading.

I updated post, it was to RTE link, as I posted the comments I would see directed at Deegan and not Harry who played more games last season for Leinster at 10 than the other players.

Deegan is 3/4th in his position and travelled on last EI tour as captain?

I've no idea who if anyone it is aimed at, nor will I try to second who was being referred to but it makes sense.

I think it's fair enough. On a two-game tour, a lot of players will always go home with zero game time, so if you underperform in game 1 and there's a guy who's very close in terms of ability or form, then it's only fair to give the second guy an opportunity.

I'm sure a few players will keep their spots this week despite being underwhelming last week, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭FtD v2

It absolutely definitely isn't. Who would have standing to take a challenge to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

How?

IRFU can determine who they do and don't employ. No rugby player has a right to be offered a contract by the provinces/IRFU

If Player in English Premiership, LHP Joe Smith runs down his contract with Saracens, whay case does he have against an Irish Provinces or the IRFU ?

Does a job looking for Spanish speakers for translations work break EU law for Italians, Germans, French etc people who don't speak spanish?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Everyone's favorite bicycling enthusiast. Can't view him, as I'm blocked, but presume it's a whinge about the IRFU and Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Its not as simple as saying Irfu can employ who they want.

There was already a similar case regarding the homegrown player rule in soccer.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-court-overturn-football-homegrown-player-rule-royal-antwerp/

I doubt any province would challenge it but I don't think it's completely black and white.

• Advertisement

Basically he's saying that IRFU would be breaching EU law by refusing to allow EU national NIQs to play here.

I mean, it's absolute nonsense, so he's clearly not a very good lawyer.

To even get off the ground, you'd need a province to sue the IRFU.

Advertisement