Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭prunudo

Some Irish people are sick of it, some will give out about it over coffee chats or bar stool pints, but unfortunately most Irish people don't care enough to do anything about it.

The situation is **** and only going to get worse, the way the government, departments, gardai and ngo's are allowing this to unfold is a disgrace. But as was shown during the elections, for whatever reason, Irish people will talk the talk but won't walk the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You can think that all you like.

But why then keep pushing for more 'hard border' approaches that clearly don't work?

That's what's making me thinking there's some pathological attachment with you lot to authoritarianism, or maybe it's the need to be outraged when these solutions don't work?

There's always someone else to blame isn't there? The Ngo's, the elites, the mainstream media, the lefties. It's the gift that keeps giving. So what if the price to pay is dead and abused kids. Not your guys problem if they're African or Middle Eastern, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

The problem is the country is awash with corporate tax revenue. That means the insanity is fully funded into the future. The NGOs are leeching off this revenue like a cancerous tumor, and relying on brainwashing by IT and RTE on about half the population. It's a very difficult situation to put right. Ironically a huge recession would probably fix a lot of this.

I think should a recession hit we'll be in even bigger trouble, the skilled immigrants and Irish will leave and we'll still be left with the imported scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The Irish are leaving. 64,000 left in the year leading up to April 2022, a 14% increase on the previous year. They're graduating and going - teachers, nurses, doctors, engineers, ……

They cannot afford to live in Ireland and they cannot afford to fund those who come here and expect it all handed to them on a plate for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell us that those Irish are economic migrants too and that it’s ironic to complain about what’s happening when Irish people go to other places to seek a better life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I don't know what they'd be called but its a sin to loose our own educated citizens due to years of bad governmnet policy meaning they can't see a future here.

I agree with you. But some people do believe there’s no difference between someone moving elsewhere to work and someone showing up here and expecting free accommodation and handouts

A sin?

It's government policy to allow the Irish to emigrate and leave and to replace them with foreign nationals from some of the poorest countries in the world.

Everything thereafter is about managing the process - and that involves removing the Irish identity (as happened over St. Patrick's weekend), funding privately foreign nationals (talk this week of giving landlords the same money as is given to Ukrainians if they take on any foreign immigrant with the Irish who are funding it left out), funding the NGOs to support this, funding RTE to support this before telling everyone "Sure we all live in each other's shelter".

• Advertisement

About time someone had the guts to suggest this.

If we need border controls to keep people out, then clearly we them to keep our young people here too.

Let's stop issuing passports to people under 30 as a starting point.

We can't simply allow young Irish people to leave like this!

Well they're being forced out aren't they?

Funny though, if 'Paddy' has to live with his parents he's forced to emigrate.

If 'Mohammad' has to live with his parents, in a shack, struggle to afford food and clothing, risk the real prospect of his kids dying because of lack of healthcare, he's a 'chancer'.

It's some special logic you lot work off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭uptherebels

the part where you didnt answer the question😉

Do you think a lot of our tent guests came from living in a shack?

They're not being forced out. Young and educated Irish are making a decision that they're not going to remain living in Irish cities (now populated by large numbers of immigrants) because they cannot afford to do so. They also cannot afford to fund the Irish state to take on these people. So they leave with many going abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

You can post links till the cows come home, it wont change the situation we are currently facing. In fact, Id wager you do not even fully understand the scale of what the EU is facing now and over the next 10 to 20 years.

It would be almost comical if it wasn't so serious, that you talk about risks and realities but you ignore the risks and realities of doing nothing or taking a soft approach to this. You can keep banging about how hard deportations are. There is no strategy that you or anyone else can come up at either EU or an individual level that will work without massive deportations. You want to talk about division in the EU - give it another 5 years of the current situation.

Your last paragraph sums up why you are not taken seriously on here, I can only hope that you are of the younger generation with little to no life experience because god help us if they let you into a voting booth. Whats that saying? Weak men create hard times.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Zico !

I think they are being forced out -there is no choice in living in your parents spare room or getting on with life elsewhere .

The government have been doing it here for years and we dont have an opposition party to stop them.

Irish parents are also facing the real prospect of children dying because of lack of healthcare. And some Irish parents have also faced that recently. Healthcare that could really use the billions that is being spent on trying to fix the problems of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

So let me get this straight - we've upstanding citizens, in a foreign nation who face persecution.

If they are given paperwork, and allowed to fly in to Ireland then they will contribute from day one, be productive law abiding soon to be citizens of Ireland.

Yet, if they have to take a boat - where the priority you would think is staying in the boat and alive - they are raping any girls and women they see fit to ? And it's OUR fault ?

At her peak, Olga Korbut couldn't do that level of mental gymnastics justice.

And just when I thought you couldn't get more fanatical. No wait, seriously?.. you have to be on a wind up at this stage? Right?

So the same people who are championing people turning up here with false or no documentation are now blaming us for

A. Not having direct flights to every 3rd world country in the world

B. Not allowing these people to travel on international flights without appropriate documentation and visas

Resulting in "refugees" travelling 10,000's of KM through multiple safe countries, while paying 10,000's to smugglers to take a boat into the Mediterranean.

Ah yes, all our fault, what a horrible little country we are

• Advertisement

Do enlighten us on how these 'massive deportations' are going to work?

Nobodies doing it now, and nobodies ever been able to do it.

Even a hard-right government like Meloni's Italy can only manage 10-20% completion when it comes to deportations. It's a two way process, the other party has to agree to receive people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/denied-asylum-but-not-deported-migrants-in-europe-live-in-limbo/2019/08/07/1b9f3082-a4ad-11e9-a767-d7ab84aef3e9_story.html

Is that because those guys are weak men? What's your plan, tough guy?

I take it so you are not going to explain to all of us apparent knuckledraggers how all this actually works if we cant deport anyone? I think this is most likely the main factor you either do not get or choose to ignore.

If we cant "build walls" as you repeatedly keep saying, and we cant send anyone back….. then there is literally no point to any of it.

Great man for posting links, but do you actually understand the reality of what you are arguing for?

The idea that nothing can be done and we just have to give up and accept what's happening is preposterous

Stop hiding from your claims.

You're the one telling us 'massive deportations' are the answer. Please explain how they'll work.

I've shown the approach I think we need to take, and backed it up by it also being the required approach from the EU commissioner on International Partnerships. Your turn, tough guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DaithiMa

When you have to use a picture of a dead child to try and 'win' the debate it says a lot.

Wasn't that the same image used to justify 'Mama' Merkel's decision to take in around 800,000 to a million Syrians? That's worked out well for her, for Germany and for her party.

What claim have i hidden, though? You are charging off half cocked , again it seems.

My response was to your repeated insistence that we cannot deport anyone, because it is hard or countries have struggled with numbers. Then you ask a question that has already been answered at least twice 3 or 400 pages back.

The "claim" I made was that "there is no strategy that you or anyone else can come up at either EU or an individual level that will work without massive deportations". Returning to your previous hyperbole we cannot "build a wall" so that leaves us with deportation.

If you have 100 people claim asylum, 10 are granted but you can only currently deport 5 of the other 90 and the other 85 get to stay what is the point in the system? Eventually those 85 get into the same position as the original 10 actually granted asylum. It is completely not fit for purpose. There is no deterrent, resulting in the system as it currently is being completely over run.

So I will reiterate my previous comment, I would be very surprised if you fully understand what it is you are actually arguing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The same people see no difference in immigrants who came here to work in care, hospitality and a whole host of job sectors to those who rack up to live in a tent with a cup in their hand….they see the 'far right' as having a problem with all of them, it's blatant lie peddled over and over again

So, you still got nothin, other that these desperate claims that 'something has to be done'. I'd have expected more from a tough guy like yourself.

The only suggestion I recall on this thread on how to actually ensure deportations are successful was to give rejected asylum seekers a parachute and push them from a plane.

But maybe refresh my memory. What was this amazing solution posted twice 3 or 400 pages back?

If it's that good you'll have no problem remembering it or sharing I'm sure.

Yep posting a photo of a dead child to 'prove' a point that people don't care is a sick thing to do

• Advertisement
Advertisement