Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Think we need to move up three places in the rankings to be second seeds in the qualifiers which might help our chances of making the playoffs.

Crazy we still have a chance of making it into pot 2 and goes to show how baffling it is we let two international windows go by without getting our permanent coach in. The NL is incredibly important for us to get our ranking sorted to gives us the best chance of going to USA 2026.

Of course, the Euros Is likely going to drastically change what we need from the next few months rankings wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

And some think that playing the type of defensive football people are calling for will also just mean losing.

Hopefully this guy is smart enough to know you need a bit of both and that you have to pick a system that suits what players are available and not trying rigidly stick to the philosophy of the problem or anti Kenny people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well at least you are showing your true colours now.

We've always had both.

I've not seen us play a more effective away game than we did against Austria a few years back and that was under MON.

The bar is set low for HH initially, just not losing his first two qualifiers will exceed the last two campaigns but hopefully we get a group draw that could facilitate a bit more ambition than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The other problem is that the playoffs are now seeded - so an away semi and final.

Not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I had it in my head the WC was expanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the athletic hasn’t even reported him as our new manager. Romano hasn’t said anything either and he reports on every contract renewal of players you won’t ever have heard of. Don’t see it on the guardian sport website either.

it doesn’t matter but it’s unusual

Stop trying desperately to paint me as a Kenny fan.

I was more than happy with the football played under O'Neill and wouldn't say it's at all the same as the "Allerdyce type" manager some people were calling for here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Canham “claims” as the RTE report put it that Hallgrimsson was number 1 target since the start of this year. He has claimed a lot of things at different stages, don’t know how he’s getting away with it.

it’s weird the athletic are ignoring it or have missed it or didn’t get the press release.

it’s not a big thing, it’s just weird.

Didn’t see it on the guardian from a scroll but I stand corrected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I'm happy enough with his appointment in general. Has had some excellent success, but it hasn't all been plain sailing, about the best we could hope for, and if he does anything like what happened with Iceland, we'll all be happy enough.

Sure things with Kenny didn't work, but I think him shifting a lot of our focus to underage will be important for the future, and Heimir seeming like someone who will do the same in terms of looking at the underage structures, that can't hurt, hopefully he'll take an interest in things domestically too. I still think all of that stuff is more critical to our long term future success than anything else.

The being open to Greenwood playing for Jamacia stuff is something that bothers me, I would like him to clarify the situation early so it can be left alone and we can move on with our lives and enjoy something for once.

I don’t really need him to clarify it. His job is to do his best for Jamaica football and it’s a simple decision between playing with Greenwood makes Jamaica clearly better than without. It would be unprofessional of him to do anything than welcome the possibility of him to declaring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

In the week we have the Women's Soccer Abuse revelations, it's certainly something we could have done without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What people want is what we were largely under O'Neill during his first two campaigns; what we were against Italy or France under Trapp; and sections of the games at home v Swiss / Denmark. In order to get results we need to score goals, and ideally we leverage pace and width to get at opponents and deliver service into the likes of Ferguson.

But we fundamentally lost our competitiveness under Kenny and became easy to play against. That has to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I would say we stopped being competitive since late MON. Maybe we didn't lose much under McCarthy II but we were not winning either or going anywhere.

But ya I agree that we need to be harder to play against and never was it more evident than seeing the amount of long range goals we conceded.

All I really want is to qualify and have the kind of feel good occasions that Iceland or Wales recently had. Style of play doesn't matter to me as long as we achieve that. I just have my own ideas about which style will best achieve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yes, he’ll be asked about it, he’ll say it was a football decision and hopefully the narrative moves on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

are you ecsatic about this appointment ?

Im certainly not

Yeah that's all fair, agreed. Ideally we would play the best football possible. But we have immediate 'back to basics' needs around getting our defensive structure right again, and finding ways to attack that branch out from there. If we can get some results against Finland and Greece and sneak second in our Nations League group it would go a long long way. A huge 6 games ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Greenwood thing likely predates Halgrimsson in that it was their FA that began an ultra aggresive policy of trying to entice as many English with Jamacian heritage as possible to try and improve the team. At one point they called up 12 English players to a squad, and tried to call Ivan Toney. If his bosses wanted Greenwood he couldn't refuse, same as De Zerbi at Marseille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There is no realistic appointment I would have been ecstatic about. We were not shopping in the 'ecstatic' aisle… we were shopping in the 'clearance sale' aisle. Under the circumstances, it's about as good as I'd hoped for. An experienced international manager, with success reaching tournaments behind him, and a 44% win percentage with a similar level small European team. (Kenny had 27%)

There was a poster on here a few months back arguing that we’d be better off finishing last in the NL group. I think he and a couple of others were saying it made no difference at all when we made this appointment. A strange argument. I have little time for the way that the FAI dragged the process out but at least the appointment has been made and the new manager has a bit of time to have a look at our squad and review recent games and prepare himself as best possible for the NL games.

Has there been a role assigned for O’Shea? I’d say he might feel badly used by the FAI in this process if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I was starting to fall into the "just appoint someone" camp.

Having a stable permanent manager must be a huge boost to the players. As we know O'Shea was interim, and Kenny was a bit of a dead man walking for his final few months.

I'm happy with the Hallgrimsson appointment. I feel the young squad needs an experienced manager, ideally experience at international teams and getting the best out of them. This is a much better outcome than I had expected, and much better than taking a risk with somebody who never managed internationally (or at all), like O'Shea or Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

While I’d never argue for any team to lose on purpose, I can see the logic in it.

We are extremely unlikely to qualify for the WC. 16 spots for Europe and there are certainly 16 better teams than us. Even if we did well enough to get a decent seeding we’re likely facing teams levels above us even in a playoff.

Should we be relegated to group C then we’d be in with a good chance of being competitive there ahead of Euro qualifying which would give us a great chance of a playoff regardless - without that path Georgia wouldn’t have made it to their first Euros. Couple that with the potential automatic spots for non qualifying hosts and we’d have a few avenues there.

It’s not ideal but group C wouldn’t be an absolute disaster either.

Ah look, there have been very strange things said over the past ~18 months around who should manage Ireland and what the objectives for the Senior Team should be.

The past is the past. We have a brutally tough start against England, but hopefully the players can find something in the fire of that test to bring forth at home against Greece a few days later.

It's funny how many Irish fans can't grasp the level we were shopping in.

• Advertisement

I'm in the I wish we had gotten relegated to Group C when Martin O' Neill got us relegated from group B but they then reorganized the comp and but us back in group B camp. The momentum back then might have been handy, now I think we should probably try and cling in there given falling to C will mean we drop even further in the rankings by the time we get there. I do like the idea of a handy playoff spot for winning C, but of course we would need to win it :D

I think that will be the best possible explanation, however I do think there is always the option to descent, especially when you're a rich football man, Di Zerbi has no excuse, but even Hallgrimsson, had already made his cash in Qatar by this point, and had the Iceland experience on his CV, he has plenty of power to stand up for whatever he believes in and especially make his case in private whatever about publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Overall fairly happy with the appointment of Hallgrimsson, he has experience of managing and achieving with nations similar to ourselves, has qualified and managed at international tournaments and seems like a nice enough, media savvy fella. I think he is about as good as we could've hoped for and I'm happy it's someone with a complete set of fresh eyes on Irish football. In the past we have had a number of managers who have probably held too much loyalty to certain players, Heimir is a complete clean slate and will want to focus on getting us well drilled and competitive as soon as possible. Will be interesting to see who he selects in his first squad/XI when it comes around.

We were shopping in the Iceland clearance aisle since January it turns out.

We could always go down to Group D if we fail to top a group at Group C.

• Advertisement

Worth noting he didn't say "since the start of this year", he said "since earlier this year" which is obviously a bit different. Think it's safe to say this is not the person who they were supposedly close to announcing back in April, so I would guess 'earlier this year' means Hallgrimsson was the person they identified right after that.

Much like the other options like Sagnol, Hallgrimsson was in an international job at the time with an upcoming tournament… all in all, as nice as it would have been to get someone in for the friendlies, I think they're better having waited for a better experienced option to become available over appointing someone they weren't happy with just for the sake of it.

“FAI director of football Marc Canham has claimed Hallgrimsson became Ireland's number one target at the start of 2024: "We are thrilled to announce Heimir as our new head coach. Earlier this year, we identified Heimir as our number one candidate whose capabilities and experience aligned with our criteria.”

Above is what it says in the RTE report; “start of 2024”, Canham says earlier in the year right enough but your guess that it was after April is just that; guesswork. Worth noting.

Yeah… exactly, Canham said "earlier this year", while the person paraphrasing for RTE took that and wrote 'start' instead. Unfortunately no shortage of miscommunications by hurried journos.

And yeah, of course it's guesswork, but given that they thought they were close to signing someone around March/April, and their most closely linked person at the time (Poyet) was then reported to have rejected a contract offer from us, it's a reasonable enough likelihood that Hallgrimsson became a more firm target around then for after the Copa.

I'm pretty grand with all that, would've been nice if they could've gotten one of the earlier targets sooner, but we know it's not the most attractive job in the world, so I'm happy enough they kept aiming as high as they could rather than just giving it to O'Shea, as more than a few here said would definitely happen.

In my opinion they turned away better candidates who declared interest in the job. Maybe he was a financially better option? He has experience and the profile of style of play that achieved some success with Iceland that could see a return to a more pragmatic style that I'm certainly not opposed to as long as results improve but more than a few here did a lot of moaning about over the years. We'll see how he goes, he could be a good appointment, who knows, guesswork.

I don't see what the other "criteria" that Canham and the FAI were on about re a some kind of overarching role re development of football in Ireland. If they mean Hallgrimsson will turn up at Under 20 and other underage games and have a few meetings with the youth team coaches that's hardly worth noting.

• Advertisement

Who were the better candidates that showed an interest ?

You'd hope so. But this is the Irish media. So we'll see.

Given how sure you were that they were going to give it to a completely inexperienced O'Shea, I'm not sure why you're so down on this, as it's a demonstrable step up from what you expected. I know you wanted Lennon, but for whatever reason, they clearly very much did not. Maybe it was financial as you say, though if Lennon was asking for more than what's been reported he was never an option anyway.

Feels like the argument over what he'll do outside the senior team is a bit moot for now, given how early we are in the process and how little we've heard. No harm to have someone on board who worked for so many years within a clearly far superior Icelandic setup though, getting much more from much less. Ultimately it's his senior international experience that's most important though.

Yeah the time to get relegated to League C would have been a few years ago but unfortunately they reorganized things. We've slipped 8 or 9 places in the Uefa rankings in the last four years and we need that to change. Thankfully for us it's now top 24 rather than top 20 to make second seeds.

It's madness to suggest now that we further slip down the rankings in the hopes we can win a League C group and get the playoff spot.

Especially when you consider that if Hallgrimsson gets us hard to beat again we could sneak back into second seeds. Some groups will only have four teams. Get a four team Euro group where the top two automatically qualify as second seeds is a better chance of qualifying than trying to get through League C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If I recall correctly, the only two who publicly mentioned contact with the FAI were Lennon and Roy Keane. This guy has more relevant management experience than those two combined.

Lennon Coleman Hughton. Any of those guys had a higher profile in my opinion, maybe they were more expensive?

We’ve appointed Hallgrimsson and I wish him all the best and hopefully he’ll be a successful appointment, I’m not sure he fits the criteria of what the FAI were initially saying they wanted though? It felt like they were after a coach with fresh ideas about the game and a vision about how the future of Ireland’s football will be shaped. Hallgrimsson is a 57 year old former Iceland team manager who has just completed a reportedly unsuccessful stint with Jamaica. Hardly fits that billing, maybe the FAI were just talking a lot of ould guff.

As I say he does come with some experience and credentials so hopefully he’ll do well.

“ I’m not an expert in this. I just look at the person. I think what he has gone through in the year and a half since it happened is worse than I can imagine, being in the press and on social media. I can only imagine what he has been going through. The case went through stages and the case was dropped, so it’s not up to me or anyone else to judge him on that. It was no less a person than Jesus Christ who said, those who are without sin should throw the first stone. Whatever happened, everybody at least deserves a second chance. And he knows that all eyes are on him. So it’s a big pressure and I am happy for the player that he is coming back because it is probably a trauma. It’s difficult to come (back) from, so I give him my support at least. He must have a strong mentality to start to play again and start to play so well.”

To me, that is a very poorly worded way of handling it, this is a previous quote whilst at Jamaica. Given there has also been abuse in Iceland, he really should do his homework and know so so much better. And again we now have our own scandal in Ireland.

At the very least I can tell you that my 28 yr old football playing sister messaged me, and it was the very first thing she brought up about him. Lads on internet forums might not realize it but his kind of talk has greater repercussions.

I'm exactly in the same boat as you. It was a pox when they reorganised it after that first campaign. I feel like we're just like Rochdale back in the 90s. Not good enough to get promoted but not bad enough to get relegated and we're just in this limbo and stasis. And boredom.

No he doesn't. He has more international experience perhaps but it's still football.

I didn't realise they had declared an interest. It was hard to keep up to be honest with all the rumours and bookies favourites out there.

I view them as pretty much the same level as what we have got now. Wouldn't be delighted or upset by any of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement