Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The IT reports that cancellations up to 16 July will remain, but it seems that's all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There are 4 main officers on the IALPA committee (the guys in the first photo of them all in uniform)
    One of the them is a A320 captain, 2 are A330 captains, my contact doesn't know the 4th guy.

Didn't the LR recommendation suspend the "crewing agreement" that provided a 3rd week in the summer to shorthaul/narrowbody pilots, but direct that negotiations on that system happen soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

How this has played out so far has been fascinating from a broad IR level and union strategy perspective (I'm not impacted as staff or a customer so perhaps it's easy for me to say).

When the union decided to reject the WRC proposal, it put the WRC, Labour Court and indeed Forsa in a position where their own credibility was going to be put under question. For that reason it was always going to be tough for the Labour Court to come up with a recommendation that went much further than the WRC if it didn't want to undermine it - the LC offer only has a larger headline number because the agreement is for longer.

You also have Forsa looking over, having just agreed a public sector deal without taking industrial action. Many of its members would be wondering if it was far too passive in those negotiations, if the pilots union managed to get much better terms by being more militant.

I know the LC used it's powers it make its intervention but one might wonder if the sides had managed to string enough of agreement along to avoid LC intervention the a better deal might have been the result? The best strategy might be one that keeps the labour court out of proceedings?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

They did add a year the % pay rise to get a higher headline figure. But at least the pilots know they are going to get that instead of going back to more negotiations in that time period. Also the crewing agreement resulted in accumulating debt for pilots presumably to be offset against future pay deals. I think the LC concluded that this agreement was a bit of a bodge job so better to scrap it and start again. Again this gives more certainty to the pilots because it may not have been clear how that debt evolved over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'd not get hopes up until the votes are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mobius2021

True but if the pilots reject a deal that their union recommend they accept then it's a real mess and going to make IALPA look like idiots - they were mis-aligned with their members when recommending the accepting of the deal and then couldn't sell the deal to their members. The problem then is internal within IALPA.

EDIT: I should say as an Aer Lingus customer I hope and expect they will accept and move on.

All agreed BUT the huge backing they got for the action meant that feelings were very high indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mobius2021

Very true, hopefully emotions can be kept in check and they discuss all the aspects of the deal in their meetings and calls in the next week. 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Aer lingus has really damaged their customer reputation after this, how can you run a company that can’t guarantee flights will run every week? They’re even listing flights they know will be cancelled

Because its the busiest period of the year, flights were planned on the basis of a flexible workforce, which will take time to come back into action, and until the ballots are known I'd not plan for a full service. Better to know its not going to take off and take a chance and turn up at the airport and be very disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Aer Lingus being a operator whose main base is a capacity-controlled airport on a fairly prosperous island, I doubt much long-term damage is anticipated. People generally have short memories about this type of disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Nothing a quick flash sale in August won’t fix

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

it’s not double. They were offered the same 12.25% as the other unions. They have settled for 13.75% as a direct comparison to the other unions 12.25% and the extra 4% is for years for which the other unions didn’t make a claim. They got 13.75% vs their claim for 24.25% which they said was for inflation up to end 2024. If inflation was a valid basis for a claim then they have undermin3: it by accepting 13.75% for that period. Maybe I’m being too rational.

If you look above, I wrote comparing the 13.75% va the 12.25% - the balance of 4% is for 2025/2026 which wasn’t part of the original claim (2019-24). No doubt EI will be happy as it does not give the other unions a basis for a strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

That might be why there holding off on the 4th of July sale so. I was surprised not to see one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

I’ll have to take your word for it but that hasn’t been reported in the media. It is certainly more than Forsa, (the union to which IALPA is affliated) has got for its members. And that deal covers until July 2026.

Most affiliate unions have returned ballots of their members with sizable majorities in favour of the new pay agreement, paving the way for pay improvements worth 9.25% – with a further 1% available for local bargaining – for public sector workers.

https://www.forsa.ie/public-sector-pay-deal-ratified-by-unions/

it’s been well publicised. See this link from Forsa. Plus it’s very inappropriate to refer to public sector pay deals when speaking about the non-pilot staff at Awr Lingus - it’s clear that these don’t retain any of the public sector type support (eg DB pensions) unlike the pilots.

https://forsatradeunion.newsweaver.com/designtest/1kgqiaebh7x

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Nice 25% off Sale, some really cheap fares for August/September.

Q3 results will be terrible. I was only checking earlier this week and fares were cheap. Now they have winter type offers in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is ridiculous. The time periods covered by pay deals in different sectors are different, comparing one figure to another is just stupid and pointless.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Some great deals as mentioned. Can travel on the 330 return to FAO in August for EUR130 return. Not to be sniffed at.

• Advertisement

I'm sure 'performance bonuses " will still be awarded though..........

Well publicised? Let me ask you again -where does it say only 1.5% extra? (your claim, that we are discussing)

Here is a fact we now know thanks to RTÉ - did pilots made no productivity concessions for this deal.

Very inappropriate to mention public sector pay deals? IALPA are in a public sector union

So we can’t compare any pay deals unless they have the same time structure? How did they get a better deal than other Aer Lingus workers who don’t have the benefit of public service conditions?

Now that would be “ridiculous, stupid and pointless.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

It's not true that pilots made no productivity concessions. It's being spun that way but the fact is they are foregoing the Crewing Agreement which will leave them with less summer leave, longer duty days on the 320 fleet and less time off between duties on the 330 fleet during the summer. If that's not a productivity concession, what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

And when they have reached their max hours for the month / year then they are done per the rules. Aviation is a season business, so being busy in season is part and parcel of the job. BA pilots work close to their max hours, same as Ryanair, why should Aer Lingus be any different. They are paid to work and afaik pilots want to work in Ireland where they live, so they need to get on with that.

Sorry missed this - is someone saying thats not a productivity concession ?

Any link to the average block hours of BA pilots?

Also, nothing in their current contract/working conditions prevents EI pilots reaching 850+ hours per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

As Tenger has pointed out, there is no cap on hours, apart from legal limits, for pilots at Aer Lingus. Many on the 320 fleet, most I would say (provided they are not part-time), are hitting 800 - 850 hrs annually.

The 330 is a different beast and the hours are not as high. Some of that is down to the nature of TA work and how much downtime is required between trips, nut some of it is down to under utilisation of the fleet in the Winter.

A point worth making again is that the 900hr limit is exactly that - a limit. It's not a target. It's there because people have died at the hands of over worked pilots in the past.

Another factor to consider is that Aer Lingus has demonstrated unequivocally during the work to rule that is under resourced in the flight deck. If they're rostering people right up to the weekly/monthly/annual limit - who's going to pick up the slack when that pilot picks up a delay and has to drop a duty because he's run out of hours? All well and good when you have the coverage, but do Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DalRiata

It hasn’t quite been explained. It looks like it’s down the typo/error route, where they should have stated a short haul cap is in place. However, they are introducing a narrow body cap going forward. Current Captains are protected, and any FO who has the seniority to be Captain but has not yet made the switch. So it is a pay cap for the most junior, as has been discussed above.
    Personally, I would have thought creating such a divide would have been a redline for IALPA, but I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

My pal is a FO on a widebody there. Hits 850+ hours every year since he started with them. It does help that they have a much stronger year round service compared to EI. It isn't a target but IAG is a business and wants to get the most from its assets to be able to compete.

I 100% agree that they are under resourced in EI. The work to rule demonstrated that very clearly.

Advertisement