Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭FtD v2

It is nonsense, because a challenge can only be brought by an entity who has legal standing to bring it - so you would need an actual injured party.

For that to happen, you'd have to have a NIQ prop who one of the provinces wanted to sign but was unable to do so because of this rule. So effectively, you'd need one of the provinces (branches of the IRFU) to align with the challenge, or effectively one part of the IRFU to sue another part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

As the IRFU have said many times none of this is written down or a law etc. So if you are trying to take a legal case then what exactly is it against?

Ireland is the 2nd team in the World, have been number 1 for the longest a NH team ever has, you go to court and rightly the IRFU can point to Irish players been more than good enough and that is why they are picked

If a province wanted to challenge it, off they go, IRFU could withdraw all the money they give them and they can sign whoever they want

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Develop homegrown players, nothing wrong with that. If Deegan is happy at Leinster, so what? Perhaps he sees an opportunity to get the bench role as Conan is getting older? It's the players choice. How long before HB gets past his brother? Ross while a good player, won't get Leinster over the hump.

The focus for the union should always be homegrown developed players and IQ's. There's a good amount of young front rows currently and the minutes should be for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So it's not nonsense. It's possibly against EU law. But since no one will challenge it then it's grand.

I even acknowledged that the provinces would be very unlikely to challenge it but that doesn't mean it's legal.

• Advertisement

It's abject nonsense.

There is no affected party who could bring a challenge to it (and in any event it isn't a written protocol) so there is means to take it.

What Humphreys is effectively saying is that the IRFU are not choosing to sign any NIQ front row players. That is a decision that is entirely within their discretion to make, and the notion that a court anywhere could force them to do so is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Team is as speculated.

Doris captains, Beirne moves to blindside with Ryan and McCarthy now starting in the second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Ireland (v South Africa):

Player/Club/Province/Caps

15. Jamie Osborne (Naas/Leinster)(1)
    14. Calvin Nash (Young Munster/Munster)(7)
    13. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)(59)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster)(73)
    11. James Lowe (Leinster)(32)
    10. Jack Crowley (Cork Constitution/Munster)(15)
    9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) (117)

1. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)(65)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster)(32)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)(77)
    4. Joe McCarthy (Dublin University/Leinster)(11)
    5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster)(63)
    6. Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster)(51)
    7. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)(63)
    8. Caelan Doris (St Mary’s College/Leinster)(42)(captain)

Replacements:

16. Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster)(39)
    17. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)(130)
    18. Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht)(41)
    19. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)(21)
    20. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)(106)
    21. Caolin Blade (Galwegians/Connacht)(2)
    22. Ciaran Frawley (UCD/Leinster)(5)
    23. Stuart McCloskey (Bangor/Ulster)(17).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Henshaw and Nash are both starting, speculation was Aki and JOB I thought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Something there for everyone to complain about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't see the benefit of having POM on the bench though. He's not an impact player. Baird is a better back row than second row at this point of his career as well.

Could potentially see Baird and POM come in as back rows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'd worry about that bench, it's just not particularly good. Nobody is going to change up the game for us imo.

Just to clarify, Are you saying that it definitely isn't against EU law, or that no one is likely to challenge it so it doesn't matter.

It definitely isn't against EU Law. It isn't a piece or regulation that is open to being challenged.

It's an internal business decision by the IRFU around what the IRFU does, something it has absolute discretion to do.

Yeah, seems a bit pointless when Timoney or Izzy could have come in though I guess if he's coming on to help defend a lead for 20 minutes we aren't going to be complaining.

I think McCloskey is a good option there, I'd have probably given him the start here tbh, but largely agree otherwise.

Only way I can see it

POM comes on for VDF, let him empty the tank over 50 mins

Baird comes on for one of Beirne/Ryan/McCarthy……the two remaining go second row

I think we'll just disagree on this.

In my opinion the head of recruitment of a company has come out and said they won't recruit people to a certain job based on certain criteria. I thought there could be a loophole that they said Irish qualified but then there was a ruling against homegrown in soccer.

The provinces are unlikely to ever challenge it anyway.

Ah I don't think you can circumvent these kind of rules by just not writing them down and calling them business decisions.

That being said, the IRFU will get a huge amount of leeway as they are the employer and qualification to play for Ireland is a perfectly valid benefit for them. Things such as the Bosman ruling are simply not relevant to the IRFU and their own teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Rugbyf565

why fkn bother bringing Timoney, Izuchukwu, Prendergast if none of them are going to feature on the bench? POM shouldn’t be on this team anymore if he’s not captain

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it's that simple - but I'm saying that is effectively what is happening here. The IRFU aren't fools in this regard either, and will know where they stand on this.

The comparison posted earlier in the thread, around Royal Antwerp's dispute around the Belgian league/UEFA's rules around minimum number of homegrown players in their match squad isn't comparable at all IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

I agree it is not relevant. I think the IRFU imposing the criteria on private clubs would be a fundamentally different situation from the IRFU hiring employees who can play for their own team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

The bosman ruling was because players could be finished their contract and still not allowed move from the club without a transfer fee. In the case of Bosman another club wanted him, transfer fee was too high and his club reduced his wages by a significant amount, he couldnt move

In this case the IRFU are saying they are going to concentrate on bringing young players up via the provinces. No idea how this would be seen as against employment law etc

If someone from Spain/etc walks into Ireland and can't play rugby they are not entitled to get a contract with IRFU to keep the numbers balanced.

No idea how this started, no company or sports organisation has to hire people from Europe even if they have no skills. That would be ridiculous to force.

MNC in Ireland use the benefit of been in Europe to go into European countries and offer contracts to suitable people to come work in Ireland and they don't have to get them visas etc. If a hugely talented player from Europe dropped into Ireland and was offered to the provinces would they take them up? maybe but it's not against the law to tell them they have no jobs available

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

POM starts or shouldn't be in the 23. Bench is seriously weak in the forwards. Would have preferred JOB over Nash personally, think he offers more of an option for a playmaker on 2nd phase ala Hansen. Be nice if Frawley could get brought on at 12, but with McCloskey there, that's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gneel

Exposure to Ireland training. Prepare them for the years to come. And use them in case of emergency now. Lots of player were never going to get gametime with only two tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Surely if you follow this to its logical conclusion, then the World Rugby rules on eligibility for national teams are also contrary to EU law.

If the IRFU cannot discriminate in hiring EU nationals, then they cannot be discriminated against in terms of career progression, i.e. playing test rugby. So by the same "logic", we can sign Antoine Dupont to Connacht and pick him for the November internationals.

It's nonsense, and I'm amused that this guy is so publicly advertising what a bad lawyer he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Anyway, team is out, POM maybe unfortunate to be the only casualty from last week. I would have liked to have seen Jager and Cian Prendergast on the bench, in particular.

Advertisement