Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's sound a bit like the Indonesia bit in the Last of Us. The absolute most interesting part of a worlds lore is the how it came to be and usually ends up very unsatisfying but it's the thing the lore hounds want the most.

Horizon really did just rip off the panzer dragoon lore and present it is own worst version of it.

Edit: I'm not mad, the director of Guerilla said they used panzer dragoon saga as reference material for killzone 3 so most of the team would have played it. Just has really annoyed me how similar they are and yet I get shouted down by the Horizon fans when I bring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought the lore and story of how the world had come to be in HZD was great, but it was great in the context of discovering it through Aloy and knowing what the world is now compared to what it was. We never needed to actually see it. A TV show exploring the events of Zero Dawn itself just felt like "It'll be cheaper to film if it's only 50 years in the future rather than trying to recreate the 'new world'"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tbh I’d say a big part of setting a Horizon TV show earlier is that adapting the game would be so expensive. A game entirely set in a lush post-apocalyptic setting and full of CG dinosaurs and lavish costumes for the human characters? I’d imagine the cost projections might have steered them down an alternate path 😅

Could still happen in a way truer to the source material now that it’s reportedly back to the drawing board, but yeah that’s a risky and expensive thing to adapt for TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I suppose as well they have a lot more leeway with using their own ideas and not being tied down to lore. You'd be in danger of making something like halo which just alienated fans of the series.

Yeah that was my thinking too. Throw the budget into one or two bigger battle scenes, and the rest is just slightly futurised clothes, computer interfaces, and slightly war-ruined streets/buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Is Aloy an interesting/believable character ? I've booted up HZD and played it a bit but I find her/the game annoying/plastic/unauthentic. Like Disney straight to VHS/Streaming level annoying. So, I'd imagine a Netflix adaption of this would be a disaster.

I think it'd be easy enough to tone down Aloy's less likeable qualities in a TV show. In the game, she's just constantly talking, annoyed by everyone and everything, and has too much ego (which because of the nature of the game is kind of deserved because she can do anything and is the best at everything). In a TV show, you could boost the supporting characters a bit more even though the main story would still revolve around Aloy.

I found her a Mary Sue with terrible poundland josh Whedon dialogue that makes her come across as trying too hard to be likeable and ending up totally unrelatable. It's like she has no interesting arc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given a time machine I do think I'd pop back to the late 90s and slap all those Buffy fans; what was cute and unique quickly became the preferred scriptwriting, dialogue crutch of every hack writer around.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Whoa whoa whoa let's not get crazy here, Aloy is a million miles away from Buffy.

• Advertisement

That's why I said Poundland Josh Whedon. I have my issues with his writing but at least he can do actual characters and his quips felt a bit more natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sounds like they wanted a way out of doing Horizon. It wouldn't be the first show to lose a showrunner while in pre-production or even full production. Think a recent example was Daredevil Reborn.

Only time a showrunner leaving would be an issue is if it was their idea initially, like if Joss had left Buffy as it was starting since it was his creation.

This is actually kind of scary for how the games industry is going:

I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the ten ranking but Tose really shouldn't be posting a loss considering how much work they do.

If you don't know, Tose are one of the biggest developers I'm the world but do work for hire and support work while keeping their names and employees off game credits.

I can see a lot of Japanese studios running into a lot of trouble due to the falling yen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Embracer continuing to ruin the gaming landscape with the news of Piranha Bytes closure. I enjoyed the 3 Risen games, jank and all. Couldn't get into Elex and the Gothic games have a strong following i believe. One positive out of this is 2 of the owners of PB have just opened a new studio, Pithead Games, with intent to concentrate on rpgs. Expect a fun return of iank in the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In a just world, what Embracer has done to these studios would be wildly illegal and their various executives would be (at a minimum) barred from ever running a company again.

Just in time for Call of Duty, Microsoft has hiked the price of GamePass and made it all more confusing. But worse than that, they’re removing the guaranteed day one games from the standard tier for new subscribers - so basically only Ultimate and PC subscribers (both of whom will also now be paying more) will get the guaranteed day one games. Existing members will keep their old ‘core’ membership for now at least, but newcomers are out of luck. That’s the essence of the convoluted name changes and tier changes. Restrictions on stacking too.

And this is the inevitable outcome with subscription services: more and more expensive, with a service diminished by more and more caveats and omissions, and of course no ownership of the games you’re paying for.

Seems oddly counterintuitive to do this before launching the flagship game on there - obviously CoD is intended to get more subscribers on there, but signing up to the expensive Ultimate tier is a pretty weak deal IMO relative to just buying the game outright.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/subscriptions-billing/manage-subscriptions/game-pass-updates-july-2024

Its like starting an MMO and noping out when you see there's 7 different currencies. If I'm confused I'll nope out.

Same goes for you hitman and your convoluted buying system which confuses me for a sale and I say I'll come back and get it and never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MikeRyan87

MS are just making up for the obviously unsustainable business model they tried to pull off with GP. It's not gonna end here.

I wonder how much money they lost on HBII overall.

They're making it less and less likely I'll resub next August or thereabouts... €20 month/€240 year because there's no mention of a yearly discount, that's just far too rich... or €15 month/€180 year for the back catalogue, no day 1, no cloud gaming. Yeesh... makes PS+ palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

That'll be me out and il just go back to gamesharing and buying the games I want to play. Was great while it lasted all the same.

I wonder does gamepass work on gamesharing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ve long thought that a tier without Day 1 games would be a good thing but the pricing is completely crazy - it’s almost as expensive as the old ultimate price but with far less value.

If it was something around $8 it would be a nice sub to have to try something different after finishing a game or trying the day 1 indies that pop up there, a price point that won’t make you feel that bad if there’s some months you don’t use it that often.

But $20 a month for a games subscription is far too much to pay unless you’re using it all the time, and $15 tier has very little value so is seemingly priced to encourage you to spend the extra $5 a month. A total mess really.

‘Play it day one on Game Pass*’

*terms & conditions list as long as the side effects list in American TV ads for medicine

Also, short of them putting GamePass on Steam, not really sure what growth Microsoft are expecting on PC from hiking the price. The price hasn’t been the problem: it’s the **** app (often with worse or outdated versions of games!) and an audience centred elsewhere. Now with this new move console gamers will rightly feel like they’re getting a raw deal compared to the PC crew.

Would really, really love to see Phil Spencer interviewed by a journalist who isn’t a light touch or in Xbox ‘fan media’.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Subs only work when they are cheaper than X number of the old way to access media. Netflix took off as it was cheaper than renting /buying X dvds. Game pass as it was cheaper than buying 2 games.

But if it's the same price as 4 new games that's a bit much for most people.

Once you have burnt through the good games in the back catalogue it's very hard to justify.

I'm genuinely trying to figure out how they think such a price increase would just be accepted. Like, are they so delusional that they think how they've carried on for the last few years justifies a price increase? I'd say something if they were dropping banger after banger out, but they've fell flat in basically every area since.

On the plus side, hopefully this will help renew the second hand physical market and a few more game shops open again. But MS are also trying to ditch physical consoles too as far as I'm concerned. They're basically handing the market to Sony/PS. PS+ Premium doesn't feel that bad anymore. Always said Day 1 games were a bad idea, and now we're seeing a spoiled rich kid realise he's spent most his money and trying to claw it back before he gets fired for incompetence. Just seems mad that not a single person in Microsoft has said "Hang on a sec Phil, do you actually know what you're doing?". When he became head, he basically fixed the XBone disaster, but since then he's, imo, only made bad decision after bad decision.

He's 10 years at it now, maybe it's time he step down and let someone else try. Jim Ryan had 5 years and was out the door, maybe MS should have done the same. I dunno, I'll never understand that high a position. But I was basically right about Day 1 games not being a good idea. I wish it wasn't so, Sony need competition and I fear what they may potentially do if they get all the market to themselves (excluding Nintendo's own market, nobody is touching that). But Xbox are not that, and they're pricing consumers out of it. Unless there's another massive loop hole to get 3 years for €200, I won't be signing up. And there won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Yell0 Man

An extra 3 quid a month isn't going to make any difference to me. I think GP is worth it for the amount of indies they have on the service and it pays for itself due to fact I'm much happier to give games a go if i'm not paying full whack on something I'm not completely sold on. Granted this wont be everyone's position and I agree the cheapest tier should be lower to attract new subs but its a simple choice, if it doesnt present value to you, dont use it.

Day 1 games themselves aren't a bad idea, the issue has been Xbox struggling with Day 1 games that attract enough people. Their exclusives over the past 5 years haven't been that great, and while they have a keen eye for picking up titles from indie or smaller studios to be Day 1 it hasn't been enough to draw people away from PS5/Steam.

There's little difference between what MS are doing and what the likes of Netflix, Disney+ and Prime have been doing for years; once you start reaching saturation, start increasing the price. MS have already borked themselves with the cost of studio acquisitions which they need to recoup even though some of those studios might take years to get out their next game. MS can't really add any new features to Gamepass to attract more people, so all they can do is subtract, offer a lower tier and increase the cost of the normal "Day 1" tier.

Day 1 games have always been Gamepass' biggest selling point and MS could have taken the hit on the cost of it if it lead to the ubiquity and market share they envisioned. But that never materialised because of the quality of their own games and still not being able to claw users back that they lost to Sony with the Xbox One launch.

Post edited by Penn on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t think the issue is necessarily Day 1 games, but pushing a subscription service as your preferred method of providing games with the same model as streaming is inherently flawed. Games aren’t consumed in the same way as films or TV and trying to retain subscribers in the same way cannot work.

You can watch something on a streaming service a few times a month without a huge time commitment and feel you’re getting value. Big AAA games(what we mostly mean by Day 1 games) can be absolutely massive and designed to take up hundreds of hours of your time making the idea of a subscription service sort of redundant.

Take Starfield. I know people who absolutely love it and put hundreds of hours into it. While it was great value to play it through a subscription at the beginning, considering 90%+ was just on that single game, it became clear it was cheaper just to buy the game instead of paying every month to play it. Or when a game comes out that isn’t on the service? I got so wrapped up with BG3 last year I cancelled game pass because it was clear my gaming time would be taken up for the next while.

Then there’s the issue of quality when a game doesn’t require sales to succeed. Would Redfall have been released in the fashion it was if it wasn’t to add content to a subscription?

Don’t get me wrong, there’s going to be loads of people that get great value every month and use it for most or all of their gaming. But the idea that a subscription would be the way forward for gaming in the way MS was pushing it was never going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

Taking Starfield as an example, I played in once and I have no intention to play it again. For me GP was great value, I got to play some day 1 games and only paid a fraction of the cost, and I got to play some games that I really enjoyed but it is very unlikely that I would have bought them - Redfall and HiFi Rush are 2 prime examples.

So for me it will still be good value even at 20 a month, if I still have the option to pause it.

That's what I don't get. It's like they're now actively encouraging just getting a month here and there. I used to buy annual because it was cheaper overall, but Xbox have stopped selling them digitally and getting "physical" 3rd party is getting harder. You can only get the monthly €14.99 or 3 month ones @ €44.97 each so no savings. Unlike PS where the longer you buy the more you get, the 12 month a lot cheaper than the per month (€203.88 @ €16.99/month compared to €151.99). They've dropped the ball with hapes of lost revenue due to the open loophole they didn't mind people using because it drove up sub numbers. Now, all those people are most likely not going to resub because it's too expensive and no opportunity to legally save by giving 12 month loyalty. I think this will drive people to PS.

I just let my premium renew automatically because I had got redundancy at the time so wasn't a big issue paying the extra for 1 more year, especially seeing as I may make use of the premium features if I'm broke soon. But next year I'll likely drop back down unless Premium starts offering something more worth it than demos, classics and some free films. Adding PSVR2 games is a start! But I'll never expect Day 1 Sony produced games. And Sony will never do it, as they have already stated. I think MS is finding out why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

So it seems it wasn't as bad as I first thought ( still annoying as I loved the loop hole) and the increase is only for no sign ups, if you have auto renew set up the prices and tiers stay the same or I am reading the email completely wrong.

"Recently, you may have heard about changes to the price of Xbox Game Pass subscriptions. At this time, these increases will only affect new purchases and will not affect your current subscription for the market in which you reside, as long as you are on an auto-renewal plan. Should you choose to cancel your plan and repurchase, you will be charged at the new current rate. If for any reason there may be changes to your existing account, we will notify you at least 60 days in advance and you will have the option to cancel or change your subscription plan at any time."

Advertisement