Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

but the majority of the Irish players going on last few ended up with injury issues for years after.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration tbh. They'll all be clawing their eyes out to go, and it's a nice target for Kelleher to focus on during rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

As far as the URC goes, I would say we've got good enough coverage at hooker. McKee and Barron are capable at this level. With a bit of luck, one of them raises their game. Gus Mc will get a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yeah fair enough, just had a look at his stats and this coming weekend will be his 30th matchday involvement of the season between Leinster and Ireland. Clearly you don't play that many games if you're injured much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd say he has a good chance for being back by the tail end of next season, if surgery goes well for him. He'll probably still need a season to get back to his best but he'd still be in with a chance for the Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

SOB, Sexton, Henshaw, Conan, Furlong off top of head have all come back with recurring injuries which has hampered them for seasons afterwards.

While you seen players like Ryan/Doris who missed the last tour really kick on after missing it.

I know it is a huge honour, but after trying to watch the muck in the last tour I kind of see it as a bit of a pointless exercise. Rassie in the press, the time before that in NZ was the media etc and Gatland just flying in random players from Wales.

Only hope is with Farrell running the show it might be a little bit more exciting and maybe a little less intensive on players as Aus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Watching the game back this morning Dan was not visibly moving like a player with a serious knee injury. His involvement for Osbornes try was his brilliant best.

Maybe the medics missed it. Which is shite but mistakes and misdiagnoses can happen. They'd have done the stability tests and made a call. If Sheehan passed them then I don't know what else can be done

Mate done his knee in when skiing. The damage was done right at top of mountain. It was sore, we stopped for a few mins. He said he was ok and went down the rest of mountain. It was only at the very bottom the leg just went from under him.

No medical expert or anything and my only personal experience of it but seems you can get different levels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In fairness, that try was all about his hands. He only really took one step after catching the ball. Later, he was thrown the ball out wide in our half with space in front of him and had a one on one where he checked back inside, going to ground rather than take the man on or try to go through him.

Not entirely. He stepped back inside off his injured left leg. Sure it wasn't a Kolbe-esque (or indeed a Dan Sheehan-esque) step. Probably more a shuffle back inside but he still showing pretty dynamic movement.

Change of direction is the last thing you need to tick off in an ACL recovery. The fact he could still do it would suggest at the time is injury wasn't as serious as first though.

…. Of course the other side of the coin is maybe his injury wasn't as bad and a movement like that made it worse! But in fairness, a ligament tear is a ligament tear

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

From personal experience only, but stepping back inside off your injured leg is easier to do with a damaged ACL then basically any other turn.

I'm still very surprised they couldn't identify it at the time and get him off though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Will Harry Byrne get much game time next season? I understand he turned down interest from both Ulster and Connacht where he could have been with any form be first choice. Fully understand it would be a step down team wise but he would be getting game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FtD v2

It's really hard to know with him tbh. He had what was probably simultaneously his best season for Leinster (since his breakthrough anyway) and yet probably his most frustrating in other ways.

The best parts: he stayed healthy largely for the full season (something he'd never managed before), he had a couple of really good performances in some big wins for Leinster, starting the game against La Rochelle and playing very well before leaving with concussion and starting in a BP win over in Welford Rd against Leicester. He also started at 10 and played well when Leinster blew the Bulls away in the RDS. That resulted in him getting back in the Ireland squad and coming off the bench twice during the 6N.

The frustrating parts: The coaching team didn't back him to kick on post the 6N break - as soon as his brother got healthy again, Ross got the start for the Round of 16 game against Leicester, and kept it through the end of the season for the big games. He had a poor tour to SA and seemed to really lose the faith of the coaches thereafter, resulting in him seemingly falling behind Sam Prendergast by season's end and not even making the trip to SA for the semi. He obviously missed out on selection for Ireland this summer.

I still rate him highly as a player, and think he's talented, but just lacking that bit of consistency. He comes across as a very laid back, languid kind of guy, and then plays like that too - just always feels like a guy with a loose intercept or that in him.

In a weird way - more than Sam P - he's a guy who moving to Connacht would suit better - because I'm still not sure if despite his talent he has the mentality or maturity to actually lead a team, but he could go there and face some adversity and find out.

Did Leinster want him to move? I doubt it.

They will have 3 10's next year, Ross and Harry will be going after the number 1 spot and Predergast will be trying to get more minutes at URC level and maybe some minutes in Europe.

Leinster will also have at least 1 or two with reduced minutes due to international games.

Leinster played 27 games this season without friendly games. They would expect similar next season and hopefully into both finals so 28 games.

An injury to one player and you are very light in that position.

Harry as pointed out had really his first full season in a long time without injuries or major injuries. Played well in Europe, played well in URC and made a few mistakes. But this could be the big season for him, he has everything now ready to take over from his brother who is turning 30, it's now or never if he wants to push on, be number 1 and push back into the Ireland squad.

He will also have a full preseason with the coaching team, something which they hadn't last year.

Sam expressed interest last year to move to Connacht but that was stopped by Leinster. I believe Sam now is seen as the no2 for Ireland going forward and declined advances from Connacht this year. Ireland management have lost confidence in Harry and I reckon he would be far better off personally being a no 1 at a team rather than being on a rota for game time.

In many ways, once Sam P becomes the starting flyhalf I'd rather HB as the backup than RB.

Im not sure this is true or just noise from the media. When Nienaber was asked this is what he said "No. I think there are discussions, obviously, but like I said, my job is purely on the field. Leo (Cullen) and other guys are working on that."

That was taken by the media as confirmation.
    The bit I heard was IRFU asked, Leinster said we want a NIQ number 10 so, IRFU rejected. End of conversation

Connacht got offered the NIQ 10 and signed one.

Has anyone in Leinster management said they have lost confidence in Harry?
    If they did Im sure he would just move so if the choice was given him

I mean, he didn't even travel to South Africa for a knockout game. So they don't need to say anything really

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

No management team are ever going to say they’ve lost confidence in a player, even if they have, for pretty obvious reasons.

Neither did Predergast did he?

Not sure what the game plan was for the Bulls game but I certainly didn't think it was anyone at Leinsters finest hour

• Advertisement

No, Prendergast did make that trip. Didn't make the match squad in the end, but was down there for the week and presumably next man in in case of late injury etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches have lost some confidence in H Byrne. He was awful against the Lions a few months ago. So was everyone, but he was the starting flyhalf in a game where we had 70% possession and territory yet created so little in attack.

He followed that up with an equally poor display against Ulster at the Kingspan. He was barely selected for games after that despite being fit.

I would have preferred if Harry did come to Connacht rather than the 10 that was signed from NZ, just to see his performances if given the no1 spot. Leinster has so much talent coming through each year, if a player doesn't perform they become a useful squad player quickly.

Maybe, the Ulster game wasn't really on his head IMO. He played more games than Ross last season, maybe due to injury, but he did

Ross has hit his ceiling, he is not going to get any better

If it was me I would start pushing ahead with Harry and Predergast now. Ross is not old or anything but I just think more potential in Harry.

It does depend on the Bok, who might like the steady Eddy game from Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Harry threw the intercept.. no one else.

I think the Lions game was very much a crossroads for HB in the eyes of the coaching staff.

This is one posters opinion based off a game where the team was abjectly poor to a man.

However Harry played a game where he was unwilling or unable to put any meaningful structure or impact on it.

A 10 is going to be a leader on any team. Especially with so little experience in certain other facets.

But I think to how Turner and Ngatai played that day - they had Harry running laterally and feeding them and they still got their hands dirty and make a real point of trying to lead by example. Has anyone ever seen Rhys Ruddock not give absolutely ever iota of his being to Leinster and his team mates when he's on the pitch? This should be the standard.

I think it's clear that in a perfect world every Leinster player on the pitch that day would be at home prepping for Europe. But they weren't so they needed to pull up their socks and give it everything.

If Harry was in the mindset of pulling his socks up he certainly didn't show it that day.

He then backed it up with a below par showing against Ulster (even discounting the intercept)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You're not wrong, but I also could see Harry being pretty discouraged after they dropped him immediately for Ross after he's been playing well. That was a huge mistake imo by Leo, and perhaps cost us going into the end of the season.

It would be hard to not be discouraged for sure.

I'd be of the opinion that you do absolutely everything to prove the coaches wrong.

I didn't see anything from Harry to suggest he was doing anything.

Yeah, that's the issue with Harry - the sense is he gets discouraged, drops the head and the mental errors follow.

If he was peeved at being forced to play the Lions to begin with, and then turned in that poor performance, then in an oddly circular sort of way that vindicates the coaching staff as to why he was dropped to begin with.

As I said above, the sense for years with him has been his biggest deficiencies are mentality and maturity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Strong words from David Humphreys which seemed to squarely land on Harry.

Talking about not forcing players to move province but also saying the IRFU won't look look kindly on players who are happy to sit as third choice for their province when they could get a first team place at another province.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2024/0710/1459146-irfu-to-block-niq-front-row-signings-after-this-season/

Advertisement