Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 neverbet

Ah now it is not fact. Fact is based on evidence,,you have produced none other than unsubstantiated gossip for no good purpose.. I will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

think it was me that brought up browne and murphy, was more from the point of view of having options on the bench that he would actually consider bringing on seeing as the younger players looked like they were never coming on again after the dublin group game. There wasn't even one place up for debate coming into the clare game. Could do with having a few players being rested after the club championship to guarantee some of them getting game time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Moycarkey borris. By all accounts they are happy with him and are into first mid tipp final in over 20years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I would agree but the job the Fennelly is doing was advertised as a full time role and yet his role with Kilkenny is only a part time role. I'm not sure if this is because Michael didn't want to leave his university job to take on the role full time or if the county board only offered him a part time role. Either way it's far from ideal and another indication of penny pinching from the Co Board. I agree Michael is a very good candidate and seems to be doing a good job but you would have to wonder how much more he could be doing if he was at it full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 longcovid

why do RTE let that gulping clown free rein on defending the throwing with no counter argument? For those sake of hurling the rule needs to be enforced. Clear separation or else it’s a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

A very hard rule to enforce, i would have swore blind the 3 incidents in the Cork v Limerick were actually throws at the time live. Gillanes, Connollys and Ethan Toomey, all 3 were proved incorrect decisions when it was replayed in slow motion, impossible to enforce that. The Clare crowd won that free for Clare when Mossy Keoghan fell to the ground, the ref was behind Keoghan and the crowd let such a roar they influenced the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TipperaryFox

Moycarkey have a golden crop at the minute winning the u21 'A' title here in Tipp 2 years ago. It's the least you would expect for them at this stage. How a catastrophic defeat to Westmeath and a hiding in an u21 final (with a team full of All-Ireland minor medal winners) earns more respect than present management teams is beyond me. Moreover, all counties including Tipp have their fair share of armchair critics but KK Supporters club calling for an end to the OTT abuse of players/Management teams is an eye opener that should alarm all decent KK people. If KK have as many volunteers working on the ground as they have "supporters" spouting the usual cliches on here ie. SnC, Tactics, coaching, we're not producing blaa blaa on here then ye will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bettysloft

Agreed Village. What is the fascination with the "throw" here? It's like a clutch for lads, almost a look over there, rather than look at what's going on at home. What about players taking steps? A lot easier to police yet very rarely enforced. The handpass is a skill just like everything else. Let the ref call it. Its easy to sit at home and just call everything a throw ball even if they are a genuine handpass. Of course you don't allow players throw the ball and when the ref sees it thrown then he should call it. Sometimes the ref gets it wrong. There are multiple fouls in every game let go for all sorts of things. In my eyes the steps thing has gone to a new level this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

I'm from tipp and yes I know underage has been v good recently with moycarkey.

• Advertisement

I don’t know where this OTT abuse is happening (I don’t do facebook) but I would have thought any criticism of management on here was mostly of the constructive criticism type.

Surely it’s okay to give our opinions on all the usual cliches as you call them … tactics etc.. isn’t that what this forum is for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I wouldn’t think it’s on the boards that he is talking about it’s Facebook. Now as regards to Tipperary fox on Eddie Brennan’s record without straining my memory, he was definitely caught by Westmeath that night in Mullingar a late penalty would have saved us but Andrew Gaffney missed it now that Westmeath team caused problems for a lot of teams after in the senior ranks (shouldn’t have been in that position anyway)we played Limerick in the U21 final the following year and lost to them by 4 pts. Considering they went on to win 5 senior all Irelands afterwards and you never mentioned his time with Laois. I stand to be corrected on anything I said above.

Ironic really that he was lecturing us about criticising management teams while sticking the boot into Eddie Brennan at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Box to box

To be fair now we went unbeaten in leinster and won our 5th leinster in a row. Galway or wexford would take your 2 arms for half of that but we arent judged on leinster and rightly so. This was a step backwards this year.kk v wexford just take on a life of their own and we just have to accept that. We hammered dublin when we needed to and went up to galway and threw away a 2 point lead to draw minus 4 definite starters. Leinster is about getting thru and being ready for the semi final. Last weekends last 20 minutes will need a big post mortem. The fade out has being happen a good bit over the years. Kk definitely need to go down the route of paying for a high profile s&c and I also think the back room team needs to be freshened up. Am I right in saying Michael rice is the goalkeeping coach? As someone else said I hope Mick fennelly gets onto a few of his former team mates and they come on board at different levels. Will the county board have a review with managers?if clare win will this be forgotten about because we were bet by the eventual winners? I hope there's alot if work going on tp get the right Management team on board for next year. Things need a good freshen up from the top down.

again I totally agree. But as a unit here when we are at our clubs AGM’s we will have to make our voices heard as regards the county board. Now the county board set up isn’t the problem it’s that they don’t speak their mind. The problem is the upper echelons formed into committees whereas everyone on the county board should be fully informed of what’s going on. I heard the other night that the shambles at intercounty level was not even discussed. This is not the way to run things.

Is

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I actually think we need a DOF like in socccer clubs. County Board would appoint a DOH whose job would be to set up a style of hurling for KK inter county teams and hire the managers/coaches to implement this at all levels. Their job would also include hiring S&C coaches etc. If the underage Set Up is similar to the Senior Set Up it would make it easier for players to adjust as they go up levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

People are being too hard, flagellating themselves that Kilkenny hurling is in ribbons. it isn’t

We need to get smarter, and stop being out thought, we had the hurling and hurlers to have maybe won all 3 grades this year but tactically and technically we were found wanting in all 3.

Look at senior team 2024 versus 2023, practically nobody played worse and at least 4 (Donnelly, Kenny, Carey, Blanchfield) all stepped up a notch.

We beat ourselves up like no other county. Eoin Cody scored 3-6 in 4 matches (3.8 per game) but is being dismissed as not a top-class corner forward. Shane O' Donnell has scored 2-12 (2.6 per game) in 7 matches but is hot fav for HOTY? Cody's all time average scoring from play is nearly 3.5 per game. How many players playing today can boast an average like that? Gillane maybe?

Our clubs are the jewel in the crown, and I feel again this year, we will see a standard that won’t be topped in any other county. And hopefully we will see players like Dunne and Shine and Marty Murphy and Neary and Drennan and Wall and Heary really step on the gas with their clubs in coming months and put up their hand. We are far closer to the summit than most people here are saying, especially with Limerick now likely coming back towards the pack.

We just need better coaching and better match tactics. The hurlers to match the best in Ireland are there and our club structure (invariably playing meaningful matches against equally matched teams instead of a series of mismatches) means they are getting better real match practise than anywhere else, which helps counterbalance the advantage other counties have in terms of resources, facilities, back room teams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

I really don't think it's lack of, or improper SnC as to why we came undone this year. We're as strong and fit as any of the teams out there. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but look at Cian Kenny this year, one of our best, if not the best player for KK this year and he's bulked up and looking as strong as ever. Clare are getting the same flak this year, drifting in and out of games but that's not down to SnC either, that's most likely a mental thing as with ourselves.

We put ourselves under so much pressure with our game plan or lack of sometimes. And why does this happen, because we're probably not comfortable enough with our game plan. When the pressure comes on, we stop doing what has been working and revert to type, lumping hail Mary's into the forwards. Its frustrating to watch but it must be as frustrating for the players individually, here we go again....how many times can these players go to the well to dig it out, again.....as supporters we feel indefinitely, but it looked like we just couldn't do it the other day.

And as was mentioned the other day, we do lack some real on-field leaders. I love TJ, but he's no Henry when it comes to orchestrating a team in real time. Deegan probably out most vocal out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Box to box

I agree there's always a huge over reaction to a kk loss but the facts are there it's 10 years without a minor or senior and one u21 In nearly 20 years Is very very poor. Mindsets have to change if everyone thinks this is OK.The county board getting credit for the purchase of land that's at least 10 years over due is also wrong. Kk were dragged down to cw to train for the last few years,this wouldn't go on in any other top county. Don't even get me started on the u20 the last 2 years if that management is let anywhere near that group again then it's time to give up.That team probably not as good as we thought because none of them are able to make any kind of breakthrough. Brian dowling would be ideal for the u20s. Derek is only learning to be fair and comes across as a gentleman but last year's all ireland he set up the team wrong he went on this year and brought on players who had no more to give at this level. He kept Cody's team and failed to even look for replacements in a few positions we have struggled. That's why next year is a big year and maybe he won't want to take the job of trying to blood a few players. He definitely needs to freshen up the whole backroom team and now they should be getting that sorted along with s&c coach. Can't continue penny pinching. The problem is theres people who wont work under the current county board but Tom mullally should be got at all costs. Former great players like Brian hogan and Eddie brennan have done well and I hope these are approached for grades like u17,u19 and u20. The county board know alot of supporters are pissed off with them they way they have appointed poor managers and the way they have carried on re funding. That electronic scoreboard going to tipp pretty much sums up the back ward approach they have. People saying we arent far must be in the county board because we are 10 years away. Our underage is a shambles and don't even try include kierans that's the biggest false reflection that's out there. Cork couldn't wait to run Frank Murphy and they have got their house in order. Won underage titles. Duignan brought a huge freshness and innovative to offally. We need a huge root and branch and not moving lads around. Say what ya want about new quinn he ran a good show. Nothing against lyng but I remember at the time he had no competition. As marooned said candidates should of had a team of lads competing for the position. No other top county would accept this. Mindset has to change quickly.we are already a long time without winning all ireland. Tactically we are years behind.we need to go outside the county if needs be but that won't happen because it will cost money. I said already it would be no harm having someone involved from a different sport like football. It will be interesting to see the appointments later in the year because there should be a few vacancies. The county board needs to win back supporters so they need a couple of high profile announcements. I won't hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Wouldn't be the first time we had a football person involved in the set up. Bringing in Mick Dempsey back in the day was widely credited with a lot of our success in becoming probably the best coached team of all time up to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

There's nothing wrong with Mickey Comerford as S&C coach. Least of our worries

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

there you go the old saying sure nobody could do that job like us. People just don’t know when to quit. I named a few people before and I was ate. We don’t want to insult people, all we want is change. But when people stay on too long then people get their backs up and that’s when things get nasty, like the facebook page all out of frustration. It’s the same as the senior set up another year gone and nothing has changed. If people see progress they will tolerate a bad season, if not the anger grows.

I Remember years past that there would be a reporter at all county board meetings, is this still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Neewollah

Don't think anyone has covered them since John Knox retired

I didn’t hear too much about the county boards purchase of lands recently and O’loughlins are fairly tight lipped about their involvement. What I heard was over 80 acres purchased, KK GAA have 30 acres, O’loughlins have 10acres and two companies, one of which is a haulage company have the remainder between them. Thirty acres would give you approximately 6 pitches plus the two at Dunmore would be adequate.

people should look up Connacht GAA air dome

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

looks like work has started already opposite the slip road which takes you up to the Ballyfoyle road.
    that ground is a long way from the current pitches in Dunmore so it might not be the county board but.

• Advertisement

I heard the old readymix land also a bit away from Dunmore but no link between them.anyway we will have to see what they will come up with.

Advertisement