Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

You might get a niche group of liberals behind that, but the majority of people will not buy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Well said BluePlanet, but alas we are wasting our time, as those who believe & buy into the whole transgender narrative are dedicated followers of a belief system that, like a parallel universe distorts language & the very meaning of what it is to be a man or a woman.

I might disengage with this thread before my brain starts to tell me I'm actually a woman (with mens bits) 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You're not a woman with male bits, but someone else might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I’ve not attempted to redefine anything. You are though by adding in all sorts of criteria that weren’t there before, like an athlete worth their salt is an entirely subjective metric based entirely upon your own standards, and your original claim was that performance is what matters, so I don’t know whether by your definition he’s worth his salt or not, but Noah Lyles has his eye on more than just winning competitions -

Criteria that wasn't there before? Sports based on biological sex is a pretty base line criteria…has been for quite a while now. My claim that performance is what matters in sport is true, you might think it's just to compete for your identity…I could care less about that, and most competitive athletes want to win, by whatever means. Do you think Noah Lyles would be just as happy with a silver medal over a gold one? Think about that for a minute. Do you think people would even care who he is if he was finishing 7th or 8th?

Well that’s what they claim, and without any evidence to the contrary, all you’re doing is engaging in supposition and speculation based upon your own beliefs. There’s a word for that kind of belief 🤨

It is pretty obvious to the dog on the street that trans women competing in female sports is for their own gratification. It is not a level playing field in the slightest.

Well generally speaking they are, but that has little to do with whether or not transgender athletes as individuals have any advantage or none over their competitors which is why a blanket ban cannot be justified. Scientific peer reviewed studies aren’t going to tell you much, other than the few that exist are too small-scale be considered of any use whatsoever precisely because of the sparsity of people who are transgender in any given population, let alone those who are athletes who make up an even smaller percentage again of that number. That’s not ignoring science btw, I’m saying that the science just isn’t there, because of the lack of volunteers willing to submit themselves to be studied for the purposes of supporting a ban on their inclusion in sports.

Biological males possess inherent advantages over biological females. That is not a blanket term, that is a scientific fact. A fact. Sounds like you are ignoring science and peer reviewed studies because they cut through your argument pretty easily. I suppose not reading them would keep you in that blissful ignorance. The science is there, you are ignoring it, as always.

Literal head in the sand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭Enduro

I reckon we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, though we agree on the endpoint anyway!

I have no problem accepting that Lia Thomas considers herself a woman, and would desire to race in the female category as a result. Now I would hope that if I were in her position I'd have enough awareness to realise how fundamentally unfair that is to the other competitors and wouldn't take that option even if it were available. But I can also understand how big a deal it must be to change genders, and as a result, see other factors as being more important. Let's face it, I doubt the ongoing publicity and derision she receives as a result of her participation in the Female category is something that someone would choose to endure unless there were some major motivation stopping her from just walking away.

(Much and all as I despise junkie cheats like Johnson, In his case, it has pretty much been established that "they" really were all on it, and he would have had no chance without juicing up. It seems to be a lot cleaner now. At the least the level of testing is massively improved).

Your father must have been a top-class sprinter in his day. That's a super time. (Like I say, we agree on the endpoint here. Males have a huge performance advantage over females in the vast majority of sports, and as a result should never be allowed to compete in the female category)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The thing is with Thomas, he saw the chance and took it, the US swimming authority was accepting that fellas could now identify as girls and compete in the female category, so he made the grade, (gave up racing against other men) and went for it, this even though he's over 6ft tall and has all his bits intact as Riley & Co discovered in the locker room.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Science isn’t required to demonstrate that men will excel in activities developed to demonstrate men’s superiority, using research conducted by men, on men -

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jul/09/sports-research-gender-gap-study

In other news, water is wet. Why its a question in this day and age is not my doing, but rather an attempt to declare that because men are superior to women, this justifies the disparity in the treatment of both sexes, how they should be regarded, and how they should regard themselves.

I’m aware that nobody is banned from sports, the point however is that transgender athletes aren’t likely to volunteer for research which is intended to gather evidence to justify a blanket ban in sports. While it’s gracious of you to declare what other people can and cannot do as though they aren’t aware already, the point is that the rules of any sport are entirely a man-made invention, and can be changed, because they are not subject to the limitations of nature.

The criteria that wasn’t there before was an athlete worth their salt, that’s why I figured Noah Lyles might qualify if you didn’t declare he doesn’t meet your subjective metric for an athlete worth their salt. It’s not unreasonable to expect that anyone wouldn’t be happy with a silver medal over a gold one, and even though he only achieved a bronze medal in the Tokyo Olympics, that medal is still more valuable it would appear to him than gold at the World Championships. Do I think anyone would care who he is if he were 7th or 8th? Yes, I do, and at least one person was quick to point out that to put his claim of being the fastest man in the world in perspective, he is 17th on the all time list:

Following the recent events, fans were quick to express their opinions on X. One fan highlighted Jamaican fans’ discontent with Noah Lyles being labeled the fastest man in the world, possibly overlooking their own star sprinters. In reality, Noah’s personal best of 9.83s in 100m places him at the 17th position on the all-time list. On the other hand, his 200m personal best of 19.31s is the third. Beyond the standings, if we look at the timings, Noah is quite some distance away from Bolt’s 9,58s (100m) and 10.19s (200m).

https://www.essentiallysports.com/us-sports-news-olympics-news-track-and-field-news-not-likable-at-all-noah-lyles-receives-heavy-criticism-from-twitters-track-field-community-for-netflixs-sprint-documentary/

Bit salty 😂

It would be great if the science you’re referring to, related to the question being asked, but it doesn’t, and there hasn’t been any scientific research conducted into the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports. What evidence exists, exists pretty much in the form of looking at the pictures, which is how apparently the dogs on the street would know that Katie Ledecky must be transgender given her form in competition:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/us/olympics/is-katie-ledecky-transgender-trends-online-american-surpasses-michael-phelps-here-s-insensitive-demeaning-american

Science isn’t required to demonstrate that men will excel in activities developed to demonstrate men’s superiority, using research conducted by men, on men -

Wow, that is a pathetically ignorant thing to say. You really have no clue, and just seem to be so resistant to admitting that males are stronger, faster etc than females. You just can't bear to say it, can you?

The criteria that wasn’t there before was an athlete worth their salt, that’s why I figured Noah Lyles might qualify if you didn’t declare he doesn’t meet your subjective metric for an athlete worth their salt. It’s not unreasonable to expect that anyone wouldn’t be happy with a silver medal over a gold one, and even though he only achieved a bronze medal in the Tokyo Olympics, that medal is still more valuable it would appear to him than gold at the World Championships. Do I think anyone would care who he is if he were 7th or 8th? Yes, I do, and at least one person was quick to point out that to put his claim of being the fastest man in the world in perspective, he is 17th on the all time list:

Noah Lyles is famous/popular because of his results. Do you understand that part?

An Olympic medal is worth more than an WC medal, yes. This isn't news, nor what I said either.

I do, and at least one person was quick to point out that to put his claim of being the fastest man in the world in perspective, he is 17th on the all time list

Just on this one, and you can go check, do you see any females on the 100m list that have run a sub-10 time? This is for running in a straight line, or was this also designed by men, for men, to please men, because men?

It would be great if the science you’re referring to, related to the question being asked, but it doesn’t, and there hasn’t been any scientific research conducted into the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports. What evidence exists, exists pretty much in the form of looking at the pictures, which is how apparently the dogs on the street would know that Katie Ledecky must be transgender given her form in competition:

It is not a phenomenon, the research you are talking about is pretty well documented in the differences in biology between males and females. Learned about it in school actually. There is evidence, you are ignoring it.

• Advertisement

Of course I can say it, I just don’t see its relevance, that’s all.

Noah Lyles is far more famous for running his mouth off than running on the track. That’s just a fact, it’s why he was approached for the Netflix show. There are athletes who are better than him who don’t enjoy anything like the fame he does.

It IS a phenomenon, and you and I clearly aren’t talking about the same research, however well it is, or isn’t documented. I’ve no doubt that most of us here Frank would have had some introduction to biology in school, and equally no doubt some of us put that knowledge to better use than others 😏

Of course I can say it, I just don’t see its relevance, that’s all.

You don't see the relevance to what? You are trying to undermine science here by say that men conducted it. So what? Whether they are men or not doesn't matter, it bears no relevance to what games men created etc, all the rules are the same, the biggest difference is the outputs and results. The olympics is evidence of this, males and females running the same distance like a marathon, but the males run faster, why do you think that is?

Noah Lyles is far more famous for running his mouth off than running on the track. That’s just a fact, it’s why he was approached for the Netflix show. There are athletes who are better than him who don’t enjoy anything like the fame he does.

That is not a fact, that is your opinion. He wouldn't have the platform to run his mouth were it not for his success in the sport he competes in. Are you following it yet?

It IS a phenomenon, and you and I clearly aren’t talking about the same research, however well it is, or isn’t documented. I’ve no doubt that most of us here Frank would have had some introduction to biology in school, and equally no doubt some of us put that knowledge to better use than others 😏

You haven't presented an ounce of research or scientific studies, it is all emotive appeals.

It seems you missed biology class as you STILL haven't admitted that males are stronger, faster etc than females. Want to admit it yet? Nothing to do with sports, just biological fact, go on, have a go there.

How is pointing out that I don’t see the relevance of pointing out that men are superior to women in relation to the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports, in any way undermining science?

I don’t think you’re following your own arguments. You asked would anyone care if he were 7th or 8th (they do), and then you made the point that he was famous/popular because of his results. I don’t know how you’re choosing to define fame, but he was neither famous nor popular before running his mouth off on social media, and then the Netflix show that followed which increased his fame and popularity (or unpopularity, even!). The whole reason for the show is to increase the popularity of athletics, and Lyles makes for entertaining viewing (though as I said previously, I’m not the show’s target demographic).

I can’t present research that doesn’t exist. Nobody can, because it doesn’t exist! That’s not an emotive appeal, it’s simply stating a fact.

As for the idea that males are stronger, faster, etc than females, it’s an incontrovertible biological fact, and what of it? That’s what I’m asking, because I don’t see the point as being relevant within the very specific context of the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports.

And just for the purposes of clarification, so we might be somewhere on the same page, this is what I mean by ‘phenomenon’, in a scientific context:

In natural sciences, a phenomenon is an observable happening or event.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenon

That’s a very simple definition, but it basically means there hasn’t yet been any scientific research conducted into the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports. Comparing men’s performances to women’s performances in sports and imagining that is sufficient to answer the question, is not science.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don’t see the point as being relevant within the very specific context of the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports.

not even in individual sports, such as the long jump, etc? or mixed sports like the 400 m mixed relay?

Nope, and I don’t mean to sound glib or anything, because I get what Frank is looking for, something like this:

https://www.outsports.com/2024/4/12/24091267/transgender-athletes-study-research-science-sports-governing-bodies/

But if I wouldn’t accept it because I can see from a mile away the obvious limitations of it, I’m certainly not going to present it as evidence of anything or that it really tells us anything. The evidence just isn’t there. I’m not going to be salty about it either the way the lead researcher attempts to pre-emptively dismiss anyone’s opinion which doesn’t concur with his:

He added: “It follows that research conducted comparing biological men to biological women is almost irrelevant in this debate and evidence from such comparisons should not be used to inform policy as is the case by many “armchair professors” advocating the default ban position.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The full study is interesting but I would note a few areas that disprove your usual talking points.

Average height/mass of TW was greater than CW.

Grip strength of TW was significantly greater than CW.

All trans participating athletes had been on gender affirming drugs for at least a year prior to the study and maintained them during the study.

Do you now accept that, given the study and evidence you yourself have presented, that some level of limits in areas like testosterone are required for trans athletes? Or do you disagree with the study you presented as evidence? (Simple yes/no on this is all that is required, a wall of whataboutery is not).

do you disagree with the study you presented as evidence?

From the post you quoted:

I’m certainly not going to present it as evidence of anything or that it really tells us anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Ideological tinged 'research' to support an ideological position.
    The author used this weird phrase that I haven't encountered in any biology class "cis women", "cis men".
    Those are are just made-up phrases by a niche group of liberals that are into this theory of gender-ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This is a confusion between "better at one thing" and "just better".

Moreover it's a confusion which is grounded in the same masculine view of the world that you are trying to condemn in the first sentence: "men will excel in activities developed to demonstrate men’s superiority, using research conducted by men, on men".

Because here's the thing: sports were invented mainly by men for men, but we can't change that fact just by pretending they weren't. The strongest muscle in any human body is the uterus. By that measure, women are FAR stronger than men. Can we use that strength in any human-made sport though? I can't think of a way, TBH.

As for the sports that we do have, women's bodies are generally at a disadvantage - for one simple reason: our bodies evolved to carry and give birth to babies, and until that becomes an olympic sport, the fact that we are more prone to, say, knee injuries from running because our wider pelvis (for childbirth) means our legs are at a wider angle compared to mens', is just a fact.

https://emmahilton.substack.com/p/sex-differences-between-men-and-women

Acknowledging that doesn't mean thinking men are generally better than women, nor even that women's sport is a bit boring really. It just means that certain physiological differences cannot be ignored, and that putting male bodies against female bodies in many sports is like ignoring weight categories in sports that require those: watching different weight categories as separate categories can be great viewing, but watching a heavyweight or a middle weight fighting a bantamweight or a flyweight would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Tbh that's the sad thing, he wasn't - just a decent turn of speed at the time, I actually looked it up at the time he was cracking 11 (and with a suitably manual stopwatch of the time, so may have been 11.2, 11.3 or so) Fanny Blankers-Koen set 11.5 for the women's world record. Men run faster - it's not a secret!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd guess it would be easier to state it another way:
    Do you disagree with the data included within the study you presented?

As you say, the conclusions seem to have an agenda, but the method and results seem sound and statistically significant (if limited due to a higher average age than elite athletes, many would be retired at 34 barring the more sedentary sports).

Because of course trans women who want to participate in female sports categories would never be tempted to hold back just a little when taking part in a study like this.

Would they??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

This was retweeted by the author of the study

it would be funny if it wasnt so tragic,

there are no baselines, (apparently they are doing a longitudal study,) but the one linked they could be comparing elite women atheletes to transwomen who train 3 times a week, the inclusion criteria are literally play a competitive sport or train 3 times a week

comparing elite women athletes to transwomen who train 3 times a week

That's actually funny, as you say. Except that it will be cited as a reason to allow trans women to participate in female sport - which is not funny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I think the author of the study is a transwoman who wants to play ladies soccer

Why its a question in this day and age is not my doing, but rather an
    attempt to declare that because men are superior to women, this
    justifies the disparity in the treatment of both sexes, how they should
    be regarded, and how they should regard themselves.

Wrong. The only thing being justified here, which everyone else here knows and understands perfectly, is that Male sex athletes being inherently statistically significantly superior to Female sex athletes in terms of sporting performance justifies the separation of the results of competitions in the vast majority of sports into Male and Female categories, where the categorisation is separated on the basis of Sex. It is nothing whatsoever to do with justifying " the disparity in the treatment of both sexes, how they should be regarded, and how they should regard themselves". You've made up that BS yourself, and nobody is buying it.

It would be great if the science you’re referring to, related to the
    question being asked, but it doesn’t, and there hasn’t been any
    scientific research conducted into the phenomenon of men competing in
    women’s sports.

More BS. There are plenty of sports where Males compete side by side with Females, with only the results being categorised by Sex. And in those sports, the results are entirely consistent with sports where Males and Females compete separately. There is no "magic" whereby males competing alongside females causes a loss of performance by the males, or an increase in performance by females in any statistically relevant manner. There is no need for any "research" to check this, as we have decades of results and data with millions of data points. Unsurprisingly to anyone, apart from you it would seem, the results (literally in this case) show that Males have a huge inherent performance advantage over Females.

The chances of any serious scientific research being funded to "investigate" something that is already so readily apparent and well proven is pretty slim indeed. You not liking reality is probably not going to justify the funding of such research.

As for the idea that males are stronger, faster, etc than females, it’s
    an incontrovertible biological fact, and what of it? That’s what I’m
    asking, because I don’t see the point as being relevant within the very
    specific context of the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports.

That says it all really.

The vast majority of the rest of the planet with any interest in sports fully understand why Male sex athletes should be in a seperate category than Female sex athletes due to the inherant performance advantage that Male sex athletes have.

How is pointing out that I don’t see the relevance of pointing out that men are superior to women in relation to the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports, in any way undermining science? 

Because you are failing to acknowledge a biological fact, and attempting to undermine it by saying games were invented by men, for men, etc. You are avoiding admitting that males possess advantages over females and how this translates to outright performance and strength, which again gets applied to sports.

I don’t think you’re following your own arguments. You asked would anyone care if he were 7th or 8th (they do), and then you made the point that he was famous/popular because of his results. I don’t know how you’re choosing to define fame, but he was neither famous nor popular before running his mouth off on social media, and then the Netflix show that followed which increased his fame and popularity (or unpopularity, even!). The whole reason for the show is to increase the popularity of athletics, and Lyles makes for entertaining viewing (though as I said previously, I’m not the show’s target demographic). 

There was only a netflix show because of his performances and success in his filed of sport. He is a top athlete, he is winning, that is what is giving him his platform. This is basic to follow, you just don't seem to grasp that. He makes for entertaining viewing, sure, he is also one of the top sprinters on the planet right now, so his success in sport is what matters here, not him running his mouth. Perhaps you are follow the social media part of things and not sport at all? We might have gotten to the bottom of it lads, armchair expert who never played or took part in sports.

I can’t present research that doesn’t exist. Nobody can, because it doesn’t exist! That’s not an emotive appeal, it’s simply stating a fact.

So what are you even saying? The facts that males are superior athletes is beyond a documented fact, it is observable, you are ignoring it.

As for the idea that males are stronger, faster, etc than females, it’s an incontrovertible biological fact, and what of it? That’s what I’m asking, because I don’t see the point as being relevant within the very specific context of the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports.

And just for the purposes of clarification, so we might be somewhere on the same page, this is what I mean by ‘phenomenon’, in a scientific context:

In natural sciences, a phenomenon is an observable happening or event. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenon

You don't see the point or why it is relevant when males compete against females…but you acknowledge (finally) that males are stronger, faster, more powerful…you do realise that all of those attributes translate DIRECTLY to a sporting context, which equals an advantage. Nothing to do with the people who made the sports, designed the rules, just that males have an inherent, biological advantage. And you think it is ok for males to compete in females sports? You are making no sense at all.

That’s a very simple definition, but it basically means there hasn’t yet been any scientific research conducted into the phenomenon of men competing in women’s sports. Comparing men’s performances to women’s performances in sports and imagining that is sufficient to answer the question, is not science.

So when women run a marathon, 100m sprint, throw a hammer, a javelin, do the high jump, when directly compared to the results in the male category, that is not evidence enough for you? Do you think, perhaps, that there doesn't need to be additional research done because it is ALREADY done at the Olympics???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

To ensure fairness and inclusivity there should be man, woman, transman and transwoman category for all sports.

The only problem with this is that Pandoras box was opened wide and we would have to introduce 50 or so more categories for all those + people and that is simply impossible.

Curious thing may be to crate just one category to existing male and female sports - something like LGBTQ+ category and let transman compete against transwoman. I bet that quite soon we will be back to square one with complaints about unfair advantage simply because there is one or few there.

Advertisement