Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Beirne will be very effective at 6 anyway, he can concentrate purely on that poaching role, he doesn’t have the extra second row duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭FtD v2

Yeah, I was really keen to see how Jager in particular would fare at this level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

GIven the litany of backrow talent brought it's a bit mad that a flanker gets dropped and we move a lock in there...

Would have liked to see any of timoney/prendergast/izzy and jager personally

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The key difference for the IRFU compared to the challenges around Soccer players etc. is that the teams are wholly owned by the IRFU.

The IRFU can legitimately say that they need to only hire Irish qualified players because they need to be able/qualified to fulfill a role in the organisation (i.e. play for Ireland) or at the very least say that they will prioristise the hiring of Irish qualified players over others.

For an organisation whose core purpose is filling the National team , "Able to play for Ireland" as an employment criteria is no different and no more or less against employment law than "Must have qualification XYZ" that you see for any jobs anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭FtD v2

I think they just wanted to add a bit more oomph but Beirne is too good not to have, so this was the approach. I agree, would have liked to see some of those guys given a chance though off the bench etc.

Would have had all of Jager, Izuchukwu (instead of Baird) and probably Prendergast (instead of POM) on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Is that not allowed?

I dont think Henshaw should be playing this week. He clearly takes a blow from Kolisi in the 15th minute and is then substituted at HT.

He looked dazed after it. They sprayed a bit of water on him! He was following the ball about it after and falling off tackles. The next time he touches the ball he flings it straight into touch.

He has passed all the HIA protocols, I presume, but is that really good enough??

Like they even let Sheehan play on for 10mins when he was clearly playing on 1 leg. He's out for fecking 6-9 months now.

It's not good enough. The players need to be protected from themselves.

Its not happening.

I am fairly surprised Henshaw is there alright but I will assume all checks and processes were followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

O'Mahony is a grand impact sub, that myth being peddled here that he isn't good off the bench is a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Beirne will be superb. I reckon he's the best blindside in Ireland by a long way. Can't wait to see how he goes. I'd go so far as to say, he'd be a world class 6.

Georgia and Rumania next summer. Could possibly see caps for Hodnett, Penny, Boyle, Wilson and Gavin. There's absolutely no reason to bring established players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Players Will be on lions and if not selected will go if fit as they'll want to stay fit if they get a call up to that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I'm not seeing the point of a top 3 Test side going to face the 20th ranked side - even if the former are missing their first XV because they're with the Lions. What do Ireland get out of it? They get to bring in some new players to get them used to the way Ireland do things. But would they not get a huge amount more if the games were challenging? Ireland should still be very strong even with their Lions away. I suppose hopefully Georgia will provide a test.

I wonder what Ireland players will make the Lions. Farrell is very loyal to his players, and the players have a head start over Welsh, Scottish and English players because they play to his gameplan already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

So who would you suggest we play then. Georgia are next best in Europe and deserve more games against us, France, new Zealand etc. We need to grow game. This is ideal time to play Georgia etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wasn't that comment only pretty recent, during Nucifora's fairwell tour? Well more than a year after the EI tour. Nucifora generally kept his head down.

What Humphrey's has done is completely different and set up an open goal when the inevitable NIQ front row is signed by a province. His actual quote is caveated more than the headlines but it shows he is quite lack of experience.

It isnt even the first time he has done this - when he spoke about provinces paying for central contracted players he also caveated it but the headline writers and many online were selective in their quotes. I thought that was him being smart but I'm starting to think he is naive and doesnt know when to keep his mouth shut.

If enacted, I am not even sure it will be of benefit to Irish player production. There is a good argument that without Alaalatoa coming in it is unlikely both Aungier and Salanoa would have left - good argument that both would have stayed to fight for their place and they'd both be sitting behind Furlong and Clarkson would have gotten near zero minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The stuff on that legal dudes twitter also says you cannot discriminate on grounds of disability or sex

So I fully expect to see my wheelchair bound aunt at THP for leinster next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Argentina. They're currently ranked 7th. A series against them in 2025 would have been winnable and challenging, I think. Even shorn of 15 odd first teamers Ireland still have a lot of quality.

True, it's good that Georgia get exposure. Hopefully it's two games against them.

One assumes someone else is touring Argentina. I'm sure the irfu aren't devastated about not having to send 50/60 people halfway around the world.

It's also clear from the EI tours that the irish coaches think there is something to learn no matter the quality of the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

people shout about growing the game, try to play teams to grow the game and people shout about that

Teh front line players don’t need more games, they have played 13 months and non lions players a summer off would be great, the next in line will come in and squad player that have come this time but haven’t had a chance etc

I expect quite a lot of change in the autumn and will hold judgement till then. I think those who travelled will be first in line for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Georgia, Romania, Portugal are all good options. Give fringe players some international exposure, give game time to T2 nations, change from the boring NZ/SA/Oz tours we get every year.

There will be change, how much? Farrell really can't stand pat, the tried and trusted came up short. For the most part, I believe we were fairly average in this year's 6nations. But then again France were brutal. Nonetheless, a blooding of a few lads next summer will help somewhat. Georgia will be a stern test with a weaker younger and inexperienced squad. My guess would be Sam P gets capped in the autumn and Jager gets a sniff. I'm hoping for a breakout in the hookers. Maybe Stewart? D Barron?

I'm fine with being fairly average while winning a tournament...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

English will be a tougher proposition next year. They looked pretty good against NZ last week, their attack is getting much better. We need to stay innovative and not be so reliant on Hansen and Lowe to create opportunities in the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I wonder if the rule only applies to new signings or also extensions?

In theory, what would happen if Leinster and Slimani wanted to extend for another year after his two years are up? That's actually relatively conceivable as a potential legal case Vs the "Provinces go out to sign NIQs and worry about the legal implications when they sue later" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think England are in Argentina next summer, Scotland is in the south Pacific. Wales in Japan, lions in Australia. France is in New Zealand. And with Ireland in south africa I'd say their options were limited to Eastern Europe or North America and Canada.. arguably Georgia and Romania will be tougher games than USA and Camada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭50HX

Interesting selection & the reasoning stated by Easterby in his earlier interview.

Great to see Ringrose back, I think we'll see a noticeable impact attacking wise with him in the side & he's v fresh after injury.

When was the last time Beirne started at 6 v top tier team, 2 years ago?

He'll be 36 and he already nearly retired so I wouldn't think it very likely at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

• Advertisement
Advertisement