Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

No i don’t care if regenerative agriculture hasnt all the answer’s to our problems but I’m 100% sure it’s going to have a very positive impact.

And all the evidence is there.

Im sure they would, but I think if your in the hundred’s of billions of dollar’s of agricultural industry’s such as Monsanto, John Deere, Mc Donalds etc you probably haven’t much interest in changing. And they have huge influence over Government policy’s.

Lol how many people are living in poverty, war, famine, dictatorship, debt, drought, slavery, extinctions etc etc etc

There’s still as much bad **** happening to people now as throughout any time in history probably.
    We might have it grand now, but we’ve serious problem’s coming down the line.

And your confused with what Savory is saying, it’s not a scientific problem, it’s a management problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your simply wrong, less people are living in poverty and under dictatorships than ever before. Life expectancy is the highest it ever has been and famine is now relatively rare. War is uncommon rather than the norm.

Your just twisted in the way you look at the world.

As for Savory , you cannot manage your way out of a problem if you don't actually have the tools to solve the problem - this is why every solution should be based upon verifiable evidence rather than fantastical claims. You get that through the scientific method, evidence collection and verification by peer review.

Climate change is a scintific problem, we have the evidence and the tool to solve it - we just need to implement the known solutions to slow and eventually reverse it. That takes political will at every level of society - which is what we are missing.

Start from the wrong assumptions and you end up at the wrong destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Haven't thought about global warming for a while now, but how do we know its real? Like I don't see too much difference in the climate since I was a nipper. Lots of rain in the 1970s lots of rain now, some hot summers (1976) and some not so hot, like this year. I do however see a fall off in Jack Frost in the winter time, that's for sure, so there has been a subtle change, but then the planet has always been changing, ever since it was created billions of years ago . . . .

(Romans growing grape vines and making wine @Hadrians wall 2000 years ago) 🤔

So what's new!

• Advertisement

What you just said was a bigger pile of slurry that even a politician would be proud of.

I’m not arguing we have things relatively soft here in Ireland, but put yourself in the shoes of somebody not as fortunate and you’ll have a different perspective of how thing’s are in the world mate.
    You don’t even no what you’re arguing about your getting lost all over the place. You clearly haven’t a notion of what regenerative agriculture is.

I have a perfect notion of what regenerative agriculture is and that's the problem, I know your making **** claims for it.

Continued bio diversity loss through human management.

Explain it so, in your own words so we have a clear context of what you’re against.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What tools do we have to solve climate change?

• Advertisement

Reducing emissions to zero. Entirely achievable with the technology we already have.

I am not against regenerative agriculture and have never stated so. I am in favour of regenerative agriculture.

I am against people claiming it can cure climate change.

How?
    Take long distance HGVs.
    How do we reduce their emissions to zero.
    Or container ships?

Or airplanes?

Unless you mean offset that carbon?

Reduce or eliminate the majority of long haul bulk transport. Localized food production as much as possible. Electrify bulk transport by rail for those items not amenable to local production. Continue and accelerate the roll out of renewables to supply the bulk of our energy. Convert to local organic agriculture for the bulk of our heavy food staples.

Localize work to reduce the majority of communiting.

Nothing is easy, and applying an approach of doing exactly what we currently do with less energy just isn't going to cut it. The future looks very different to the present.

😑 wtf are you arguing about!

If we have all our soils in good health, how can that not help in storing carbon and taking it from the atmosphere to store in the ground.

You have the bull by the Tit shoog.

You have made wild and exaggerated claims about regenerative agriculture, I am arguing against your wild claims.

Like my example of raising cattle into grass pasture instead of what there doing in the United States growing corn to feed cattle in feedlot’s? Using all kinds of chemicals.

Where am i wrong about that being better for everything?

Pie in the sky stuff.
    The primary source of the energy used to create all that technology is fossil fuel’s.

Do you no how much electricity it would require to run bulk trains?
    And what will happen to all this green technology when it reaches end of life or breaks down? I don’t believe much of it is recycled.

complete fantasy land in reality.

You claimed it is a cure for global warming. That is absolute and utter bullshit. On top of this you have repeatedly stated we can cure climate change whilst still using fossil fuels - that is simply ignorant.

• Advertisement

See you have no answer to my question. Tell me where I’m wrong when I say Raising animals regeneratively instead of feedlots is better.

You no I’m right otherwise you’d have something to say about it. Do you no whats gonna happen to all that green tech when it reaches end of life? Landfill or burnt.

We have millions or billions of acres of land that’s currently not storing much carbon due to biodiversity loss & current agricultural management.
    that land if it was managed regeneratively it will be growing plants that’s pulling carbon & emissions out of the atmosphere all over the world & storing it in the ground.

I have been trying to send in this published research about the benefit’s of regenerative ag but somethings going wrong.

But just so people wanna no more about the science behind it, check out this site. They have documentary’s also that are well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Convert to local organic agriculture ? How many millions would you allow to starve ? Because that is what would happen . Modern globalised agriculture for all its failings ( and it has many ) feeds a significant percentage of the Western world, cheaply and safely. What organic agriculture produces is minimal by comparison .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

So back to the 1800s with us then. Our renewable energy is too patchy to power a modern country. Our entire way of life is dependent on globalisation and selling stuff to one another across the world. Ireland doesn't grow a whole lot in the winter to feed a population. Local food production should be done, but we still need to import a huge amount of stuff to satisfy ourselves. Rail should be used more, but we're seriously lacking the infrastructure and with over 100 billion estimated to build offshore wind (not including the on land infrastructure), there'll be no money for rail. Nor enough power to electrify even what we have today.

Your plan sounds good, but it's a regression. A serious one at that in my eyes.

How much tillage can you grow in this system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Some people want us back in the stone age.

I've always found it interesting how many of the Green party are descended from the Irish ascendency. The green agenda is just a modern outlet for their instinctual need to interfere with peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Feedlots exist for economic reasons: they scale & are economically efficient. How many hectacres of forested land are you willing to sacrifice to replace them?

”reduce or eliminate the majority of long haul bulk transport”

Ok how? We don’t produce many goods that we import into this country- for example EVs and ICE cars. How do we reduce this without destroying the car sales and parts industry.

“Localised food production as much as possible”

How? We can't grow a fraction of enough fit for human consumption grain in Ireland- the land is not suitable for it.

Your next two points I agree with although we will still need natural gas for when high pressure moves in over Ireland during winter (fyi this leads to low wind and winter= low solar)

Now, your next point:

“Convert to local organic agriculture for the bulk of our heavy food staples”

This is a dangerous idea coupled with your first and second points.

Organic food wouldn’t be able to support our population and your idea of not allowing bulk delivery of items (including food) from other countries would probably lead to famine.

Your are living in fantasy land.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Why dismiss the data just because you don't like who is saying it? Talk about shooting the messenger!

Two clicks would have got you the data where you can verify it: https://apps.aims.gov.au/reef-monitoring/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

How can this wedding in Mumbai justify having more than 100 private planes ready to ferry guests around India.

This is the sort of place that needs censoring due to the massive amount of pollution that will be created, just for some rich kids wedding party!!

This is why we are having to pay Carbon Taxes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We're paying carbon taxes because pretty much all of us in the developed world are polluting to a certain extent which when aggregated upwards is contributing towards climate change. There is no point in just looking at extreme examples (which admittedly shouldn't be happening) before you take a look at yourself!

Advertisement