Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland General Discussion Thread 2024 [use match threads for games]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

the aviva be pumpin out ja ja ding dong if we score!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

The more I read about Hallgrimsson, the more I'm behind his appointment.

Very happy, and looking forward to the new campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He has more relevant experience, though. Club and international football are quite different, too.

Lennon's biggest success came at a club with infinitely more resources than their rivals. At Bolton, when the club was in turmoil and he had to make do with what was available to him (i.e. like international football), he struggled.

Hughton only had one spell in international management and he struggled. It is worth pointing out that Ghana's status in African football is far greater than Ireland's in European football, i.e. they would have been expected to do well as a minimum and he failed to deliver that.

Coleman had experience in the same vein as Halgrimsson (small country, punching above their weight) and I would have taken him over a lot of the other names mentioned. However, apart from second-hand rumours in the papers, I can't see anything definitively saying he was approached nor can I see him publicly commenting on it, though I'd be open to correction.

The fact is, the FAI have been doing their business behind closed doors and we can only speculate about who was approached and why people were ruled out (iirc, Lennon was told a lack of international experience and Roy Keane wanted more money).

It has been far from ideal but the end result is certainly better than what it seemed like up until recently. It's over now so time to get behind him and see what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Where did I say I was "down on it"? Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm discussing the appointment in the context of what I saw as a botched and amateurish process.

Now that's not Hallgrimsson's fault. It's also not the first time a selection process became a bit of a mess with the FAI. Bob Paisely was the preferred candidate in the 1980's but FAI officials were bickering about it and Jack Charlton was appointed as a compromise candidate that none of them really wanted. That generally worked out ok for Jack and Ireland. I hope Hallgrimsson will be a great success.

I still think Canham is a spoofer with his overarching vision chat and his apparent aversion to giving updates to the actual media bar in house FAI interviews with underling staff asking unchallenging questions.

I disagree with your summations re the other candidates. I’m not going to bother countering your points though because they’ve made an appointment at last and hopefully he’ll be a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah we can thank Uefa for further tinkering with qualifiers in giving us a chance of sneaking into second seeds.

As of June 20th we're ranked 28th in Uefa though Russia are one of the teams ahead of us so can move us up one place.

Yeah Slovenia are one of the three teams between us and 24th spot. They've had a great Euros technically drawing four games so they'll move up into second seeds before the Nations League starts.

Greece is one of the other two teams ahead of us and we actually jumped ahead a place ahead of Finland in the last rankings. So our group is gonna be tough with all three us fighting to sneak into second seeds.

Yeah would have been great to have a permanent manager in place for the last two windows but back in February Lennon was likely the only manager worth talking about that was a likely appointment available. So glad they waited in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Purchased tickets for the three Nations League games anyway. Optimistic we can get a couple of results for the first time in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

This was the Irish team in 2017 vs Iceland

3 names there I did not recognise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Watching press conference - I like the sound of Hallgrimsson already.

Emphasising getting the basics perfect, organised, compact, and structured. No point in worrying about the fancy stuff and forgetting the basics. As in international football you get limited time with a team.

Plus he has an Irish looking head on him. Seems extremely comfortable in front of the media, especially as English is his second language.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Press conference with Heimir and Marc Canham live on Youtube now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The tone of your posts was that you weren't happy about it. Apologies if I misjudged, and you are in fact good with it.

As for some of the other names mentioned… I'd have been grand with Lennon, but for whatever reason they clearly very actively didn't want him. I'd have been grudgingly ok with Coleman, but I'm happier with Hallgrímsson. And I'd be taking Hallgrímsson over Hughton every day of the week - I mean, even just in direct comparison, Hallgrímsson did far better with lowly Jamaica against the same teams that spanked Hughton's far far better Ghana. Hallgrímsson got draws in competitive games with the US and Mexico, who battered Hughton's side, and Hallgrímsson recently beat this excellent Canada side over two legs. Against any side within 50 places of them, Hughton's Ghana really really struggled, and indeed struggled against quite a few minnows too. Hallgrímsson's international sides have consistently matched or outperformed their expectation.

I think the FAI have been a joke for years - but I would say they set out that they wanted an experienced international manager, and after a far-too-long process, and a lot of rejection, they got one that actually fits our needs and current situation quite well. I'm sure a better funded, better staffed FAI could've gotten the job done sooner, but i'd rather a decent result late than the wrong result in a timely fashion.

Some interesting bits to that interview. First off, I like the guy, comes across well, and quietly confident and charismatic.

It sounds like he really was the guy they wanted to announce in April, and that the firmed up interest did indeed come in March. Makes the FAI look a bit dim, the way he kept repeating he was never gonna come before the Copa, and yet Canham set the expectation of an incoming announcement back then. Like there was an arrogance they’d get him to leave Jamaica in the lurch.

Sounds very confident of raising Ireland up the rankings, having done it with his previous nations.

Also quite interesting that he’s happy to use the current back room staff, which one would imagine played a part in their selection for the friendlies, so the time O’Shea and Paddy spent there will still prove useful. Really hope Paddy McCarthy in particular stays involved - he feels like a future Irish manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

If you believe he's who they wanted in March or April I've got some magic beans to sell you.

First off they were going to give a manager a 4 year contract back then and announced him imminently, they've given a 17 month one to Hallgrimsson.

The new "head coach" was supposed to oversee youth development as well. Not much chance of that when he could be gone by the winter of next year.

Virgin Media interview with Hallgrimsson. Touches on how he'll approach things, about the possibility of O'Shea being apart of his staff, living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

Carsley probably was first choice but Hallgrimsson is best of the rest.

The football media are against him already due to no leaks happening and the surprise announcement, most are in Germany on junkets.

I am happy to get behind him, was able to give a press conference at least.

• Advertisement

I’m surprised that seems to be the case myself, but both they, and he, confirmed it in the press conference, and I doubt they’ve decided to start things off on an utterly unnecessary pointless lie which only serves to make the FAI look worse.

Reading between the lines I would guess he was offered it then, did genuinely think about taking it right away, but decided to stay put for the Euros. But if course in the presser said he never considered leaving before the Copa, as that would make him look disloyal, so Canham was sat there looking like a moron 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

There's a few very valid reasons to start it off as a lie. Makes the FAI look less incompetent and would help take a huge amount of heat off the FAI. It would also be nearly impossible for the media to proof it is a lie as well.

I just edited my previous post with what I think is a fairly common sense take of what happened. And it literally just takes the person who was actually offered, or ANYONE involved in the process (and we know how many leaks are possible in the FAI) to say it’s a lie.

Imo the way it’s unfolded has been the worst looking of all options, idiotically announcing that the new man was incoming, while the man himself right now sits there saying he was offered but never considered it till after the Copa.

Rather than hunting for lies and conspiracies, I’m going occams razor on this one

Canham is a spoofer and he`s lied every step of the way of this. There`s no argument to the contray. Hallgrimsson isn`t going to throw his hands up in the middle of his first presser and say "No lads, actually I was 3rd or 4th choice at best".

It doesn`t matter all that much at this stage. There`s somebody in charge of the national team now and we move on. The FAIs handling of this whole saga, which should be a routine excercise for any national association wouldn`t fill anyone with confidence in their ability to sort out the other issues facing Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Lied? He’s barely said anything about any candidate. Good Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Andy Boyle was probably at Preston at the time. Central defender who had done well for Dundalk and subsequently ended back there when it didn't work out in the UK

Johnny Hayes was a winger with Aberdeen for years and had a spell at Celtic where he was largely a squad player

Stephen Gleeson was originally capped back in 2007 under Stan. Might have shared the field with the might Joe Lapira. He was playing in the Championship for Birmingham in 2017. Ten years after his first 2 caps

Canham got a couple of hard questions from the media in the presser there and he looked peeved. It’s his own fault, he put his foot in it several times in the appointment process but then didn’t face the media to explain it and instead just put out in house comments via FAI tv. He can’t complain when the press gave him a hard time today given he’s getting paid to do the job he’s privileged to be doing.

the Iceland friendly was only a boring friendly but it was a good weather vane on Irish media and support.

There was a minor meltdown by Joe molloy on the OTB football show after our defeat in this friendly: he went on the warpath about our style of football, our formation, our player selection policy and it’s failure to yield a result against the icelandics. Ken early went on his own strange narrative on second captains that the Icelandics triumph in a spring friendly came about because they picked players from their domestic league. Even though Iceland actually had a very minimal inconsequential presence from the domestic league in their squad but a hot bullshit take is popular with the average irish fan.

we then went on to beat Italy to qualify for the round of 16 a couple months after.

No one reading cares about these two observations but ever since, I treat all but one opinion (Dan McDonnell) from the football media in Ireland with a smirk and an occasional roll of the eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah it's clear Canham is a spoofer, he says a lot without saying anything of meaning, but there is not a chance that this was a master plan from day one to get Hallgrimsson in as manager. Too many holes to poke in that theory. But feck it, doesn't matter now and we need to move on because it's done.

The more I hear from and read about our new manager the more I like him. That initial press conference was a joke, because it was essentially a load of journalists trying to have pot shots at journalists to get a headline or soundbyte. But in some of the ones he did later, particularly the one with Virgin media, he comes across very well and almost Klopp like in the way he just seems like a very down to earth, normal guy with no bullshit about him.

Read somewhere that while managing in Iceland he used to meet fans in the pub before the game to explain his tactics and plan for the game ahead so they would understand why certain decisions were made. I've a good feeling about him, if not necessarily the team.

They're not claiming it was the plan from day one, just the last 3 and a bit months. T'was March onwards they were saying they honed in on him, having had him as one of a few options from Jan onwards. They were pretty open about the fact there were other candidates at different times throughout, and Canham just said he wouldn't' be discussing any of the details around them.

I don't like Canham, comes across as a bit smarmy, and came across particularly poorly today, but ultimately I think their process has worked out well enough in the end despite all the flubs and setbacks.

Agreed on the Hallgrimsson himself, comes across as a good solid decent fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Someone on here said something about the English sounding guy (FAI employee) interviewing the new manager yesterday and was called racist but can you imagine some guy with say a strong cork accent interviewing the new England manager? its ridiculous.

because many of our players and former managers and coaching staff had an English accent.

England’s didn’t have Irish accent

I don't really get why that means we should have an English guy interviewing the new manager. surely there is an Irish person who could do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I don't understand why this matters

Of all the things to get your knickers in a twist about the FAI this shouldn't be one of them

• Advertisement

Maybe that's just that chaps remit? And he's just doing his job? This is a weird conversation, I'm a bit wary about any discussion like this where there's no issue around the guy's performance, or him being understood, but purely that he's a foreigner.

Especially when the new manager isn't bloody Irish either. Like surely these lads can see the irony with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Glad we have appointed a manager. Like most I don't know much about him apart from what I've read online. I think he is a good fit for us at this moment in time. We badly need someone to put some organisation and structure on the team. Make us hard to beat and take it from there in terms of style etc.

I just find it weird, like they will say things like "we" when talking about Ireland, when they are English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I say "we" when referring to my employer. If I move to a company, i refer to them as "we".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: That is enough from you on this topic. Please go back to discussing the team as per the thread purpose.

Fella's literally working for the FAI. Will Hallgrimsson not be allowed say 'we' either?

<edit> just saw note.

Yup flat out lied. Said they'd appoint a candidate in the new year. Then said he'd a candidate ready to go on a 4 year contract in April. These things did not happen hence they are lies. He's a spoofer. Hill went because he was also a liar and Canham's days are numbered for the same reasons.

"“The process of the appointment of the permanent new head coach is very close to the end, and we look forward to announcing that new permanent head coach in early April. Existing contractual obligations mean we are not in a position to announce any further details at this point, but as we have committed to, we will announce that in early-April.” this is a quote/lie Canham told in March which proves it was not Hallgrímsson they were looking at, at that point. I look forward to you proving Canham is not a liar. It should be very entertaining.

I'm not sure why that proves it wasn't Hallgrimsson? That matches what they said in the presser today. And, there was no mention back then of a 4-year deal - they didn't mention terms at all.

Also, you can say a thing, and fully believe in the thing you're saying, and then have circumstances change. I've said I could go out, but then had things come up afterwards, and so couldn't go out. I didn't fulfill my expectation, for sure, but I was still telling the truth when I initially said I could go out. I don't know if that is the case or not here, but it's a bit mad to think all people's latterly unfulfilled expectations are automatically lies.

• Advertisement

Good to see this getting done early and no hanging about doing pre season with Spurs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have to say, given the length of the process this appointment is absolutely bizarre.

I’ve nothing against the guy, apart from the length of his name. Let’s see how he does

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Has a competent CV at international level which is good, a risk perhaps but we are in no position to be dining at the top table for managers.

Marc Canham and and FAI once again come out looking pretty foolishly, timelines and previous comments not adding up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I know we've been told to move on, but just to let you all know, I've worked freelance with the FAI and know a few of the staff.

The fella doing the interview is one of the heads of communications and does all media with the senior men's team, he's been with the men's team since Kenny got the gig, but has worked with the FAI in other roles previous, it has always been his job. Anyone giving out about it has literally not been paying any attention for the last 5 years, he's at every press conference and does tons of interviews.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Thanks for the helpful information.

Mod: if anyone does want to give out about it, please don't do it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Considering folk couldn't hack Hendrix, McLean, Obamadele or Molubmbfphy, Hallgrimsson will see some extravagant attempts I'm sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sopranos quote: “Hallgrímsson, if ever there was a guy that needed a f uckin’ nickname” thing with hands.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Also Hendricks along with the Hendrix for Jazzy Jeff. Bazuna instead of Bazunu and even Kelleher gets called something like Kellogher as if he's named after a box of cornflakes.

Just on the pronunciation of Heimir Hallgrímsson I saw this online if anyone was wondering how his name is properly said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

impressive press conference, the fact he is confident and clear in his communication very refreshing after the torturous nature of Kenny’s interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Can we not just call him The Gaffer and be done with it.....oh that brings back some painful memories 😫

• Advertisement
Advertisement