Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viewing a house to rent - would you mention you are expecting a baby? Good or bad idea?

• 10-07-2024 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭

Myself and the missus are currently looking for a place to rent.

Is it a good or bad idea to mention she's pregnant?

We haven't mentioned anything yet.

But maybe it's a good thing? It means me won't be going anywhere any time soon. We need to stay put for years. That's good for the landlord, right?

Or will they be scared off by the thought of a toddler in their house. Like having a pet who will scutter all over the walls.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Dont say a word. Some landlords don't actually want longterm tenants. They also will have images of sticky toddler handprints on the walls or complaints by neighbours because of a crying baby.

You wouldn't mention that you were thinking of getting a dog. So I wouldn't mention this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bad idea. In theory you might find some private landlord that likes the idea of renting to a family but generally most wouldn't see it as a positive.

prob a bad idea. I imagine it’s harder to evict a non paying family than a non paying couple.

Courts don’t side with landlords, hence so few rentals and so much air b&b properties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I have recently sold my letting property to my excellent long term tenants who kept pets & have young children. They kept the place immaculate, and repainted walls themselves. I actually stated “pets allowed” and got a settled family over of 3 generations from Northern Europe, where pet keeping and frequent interior painting is the norm.

Nowadays I would be more risk averse regarding pets, as some untouchable gangster types, where the badly resourced Gardai wont involve themselves, keep XL bullies. In my case I got the well-settled family scenario. Personally, as a landlord, I can’t see why having a young child would be an issue, but others might see it differently.

I’m in south-west England on holiday atm, and am reminded, that like much of Europe, every second person has a dog in tow. They are allowed everywhere, in hotels, restaurants, even art galleries. Ireland is an outlier in its attitude to dogs, but perhaps it’s because Ireland has not yet learned responsible pet ownership and don’t train dogs to behave in these scenarios.

You are certainly not obliged to tell prospective landlords of your partner’s pregnancy, and the case of whether it’s a good idea or not, if you get the likes of me as your prospective landlord it would be a good idea but others might view it as “dirty mess” around the place. Personally I believe certain adults are more likely to have it like that! My best advice is, whatever you do, give the best impression of being “very responsible” people, and best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It shows how bad the rental situation is in ireland that people are scared to mention pregnancies. So they either hide it or run the risk of being homeless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Accommodation and Property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Odd, I would have thought it was a pro, in that a young couple expecting a baby wouldn't be throwing loud parties every weekend disturbing neighbours, or trashing the place. But I'm not a landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its a baby. Not a hippo. Dont sweat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The trouble with babies is that they tend to be expensive. It sometimes means the couple can no longer afford their rent because they have childcare and maintenance costs to pay and sometimes reduced earnings to boot.

Trying to find a rental is sweat inducing, so I’m not sure why you think the op should not at least consider whether to inform prospective LLs.

As mentioned earlier, there are reasons why LLs may not want families in their rentals, they range from wear and tear, noise complaints and yes, LLs may not want tenants who plan to stay long term as they may think it may be more difficult to obtain vacant possession of the LL decides to sell. So, the op may be better off not saying anything until the lease is signed, renting now is a beauty contest for tenants, anything that makes you less appealing compared to other tenants, is to be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Congratulations OP to you and your partner and good luck with the rental situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,125 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wouldn't mention it.

Babies fùck with their parents health status, shít and puke in all directions, sream and annoy the neighbours, and grow into crayon-weilding monsters who destroy walls. Bad news all round.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭herbalplants

That is some description 😜. I wouldn't say you have any kids.

Remember the shills only get paid when you react to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I have a relative who was renting a 1 bed apartment. They were getting rent allowance and loved the apartment where they lived. She got pregnant and the social welfare told them if they didnt move to a bigger apartment or house by the time the baby was 1 year old that they would stop the payment.

Advertisement