Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

1971 driest, 2023 wettest

2023 was the wettest year on record in Ireland (records going back to 1941).

The provisional analysis carried out at the end of 2023, using mostly near real-time rainfall observations, had indicated that 2023 was in the top three wettest years on record*.  As is Met Éireann’s procedure every year, the collection and inclusion of thousands of manually recorded rainfall observations allows for a more complete analysis and ranking of last year’s rainfall totals.

With all station rainfall observations now included and quality-controlled, 2023 finished narrowly wetter than 2009 and 2015, the two previous wettest years on record.

To provide a timely estimate of how a month or a year ranks in Ireland’s climate record, a ‘provisional’ statement is developed. Largely, observations from Met Éireann’s 25 primary weather stations along with other near real-time weather observations are used in this analysis. It provides a quick look and helps to put our recent weather into a climatological context.

For a more complete analysis, manual rainfall observations from hundreds of Met Éireann manual stations are collected and quality- controlled, a process that takes several months. When this additional data is included in the analysis, it provides a more complete picture of rainfall throughout the year and allows for a more definitive analysis and ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

we got a load of camping equipment in 2020/2021. Didn’t really get out last year. Sold tent in the autumn intending to upgrade it but not very tempted at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Now that the rain has gone and the sun is shining, the chilly wind gets up. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shan Doras

July 2006 was the hottest month of the decade https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0714/802427-hottest-day-of-the-decade/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

YES! Thank you!

I remember also working for two weeks of that month in Berkshire and the temperature was regularly hitting low to mid thirties with an absolute epic thunderstorm ⛈️ also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It was wet and grey .

II can still smell the woodland damp of it and whenever I go mountain woodsy walking and get that smell it brings me back .

On another point , is August summer ?

Maybe not officially , but we have had some amazingly beautiful weeks away in Ireland in August . Last one was end of August 2022 in Clare . I remember glorious days cycling , sea swimming and the sun shining on the water .

Ireland at it's best .

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shan Doras

Remember the summer 2018 heatwave? It had the famous hosepipe ban. It was great from late May until late July but August was a total washout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Took advantage of the cool conditions to go outside and get a bit of painting done. Normally if I paint outside this time of the year l would be dripping in sweat. Not a drop today....as they say; every cloud has a silver lining 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

That perpetual northwest wind is a head-wrecker. I have a few flower containers exposed to it that are being dried out and wilted quicker than I can keep them watered. Even the days where the sun shines, it's chilly and blustery away from sheltered spots.

So far this summer hasn't even produced a proper thunderstorm, with those low temps and NW winds quelling any hope of convection or humidity to generate a few sparks. I don't recall such boring weather for years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The model watching this summer has also been exceptionally boring, rinse and repeat same charts every day north-westerlies or northerlies with all the heat trapped into the south-eastern half of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The child of Prague is out. The weather models flipped to unsettled this week for next week, let’s see can they flip back…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Average to slightly cooler for Ireland over the next 7 days. Exceptionally hot for parts of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Did you knock your meadow. The neighbour beside me mowed his on Monday and hasn't touched it since. I'm hoping the contractor mows tomorrow and bales it Saturday. I don't think it's a summer for hay. I think the heat will come in August but hopefully it's not accompanied by thundery deluges.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

we have been luckier than most in Kerry this week, some beautiful days Today was lovely again………in the sun. Got a swim in Cromane but there was a strong breeze there. It got worse later in the afternoon…… its really cool when the sun goes in and I must agree with others, I'm sick of this wind!

Hoping to climb Carauntoohill on Sunday with a few others but I'll decide on Saturday. I don't want to do it and end up in cloud with no views. A bit of a mixed forecast for Sunday but it will be warmer at least ! Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

no it’s still standing. And will be into August at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's poor when my highest temp. was in May and hasn't hit 20 yet this month (N Tipp)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

25 years in aviation, 15 years active on this forum, speak to Met Eireann on a daily basis in work and I was today years old when I heard "Wet Eireann" for the first time 😂😂

Brilliant, I'm using that in future thanks pauldry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Great to see a sunset this evening. Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yep think May will go down as the best month of this Summer....you normally don't say that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Maybe if that part of the map burns we'll float over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah this summer is a total bore. At least last summer we had lots of thunderstorms in June before it all went tits up July onwards.

Surely August will be better. We need some heat badly. A hot plume from Spain/Africa would be ideal and might give us some nice storms. One can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Various weather sites now showing rain in Dublin area on Saturday and Sunday. Hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah GFS showing decent shower risk for both days of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

just reading the Wet Eireann(love it!!) forecast this morning and it’s essentially giving rain on both Saturday and Sunday. This was supposed to be a “decent” weekend. Another dull start here appears calm which is a plus temp the usual 11/12 degrees. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

On RTE few minutes ago she said we would have a HP for a few days then went on to forecast rain and showers from this evening, I give up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Finishing up today for 2 weeks off work and the weather looks like utter crap for the rest of July.

I agree with some of the other comments. People are generally more annoyed and peed off than usual. No sun and cold temperatures is not doing anything positive for the general mood out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭alentejo

I also think that weather forecasts promising some half decent weather then chopping and changing at the last minute for the worse don't help people's spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

This crappy weather is hardly Met(Wet) Eireann's fault.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I blame Gerry sleet Murphy…….I don't think (i hope not) people would believe that ME are in anyway, shape or form so muh as responsible for a specklet of dew , let alone the weather.

Advertisement