Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2022 Assistant Principal Competition - Open and Interdepartmental

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DonutLike

I scored very high and would have been called in first batch of interviews in Dublin.

I’m based in the south also and PAS have advised they only call for interview if they receive a request. I don’t think any AP’s have been placed by PAS in my county since 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 4 senna2804

Hi all, just sharing an update - PAS have confirmed there are about 17 people ahead of me to be called for clearance. I'm 10th on the open, batch 4.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Foxy1987

Hi all, i know this has been asked again and again I have gone through some of the pages and cant find the answer so my apoligies!!!

Can I ask if anyone can tell us the format in which you receive the presentation topics? Is it just 4 topics and off you go or is it a specific quote or question you are asked to expand on?

Many thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PWDUB

@Foxy1987

Including below the task that I had as part of the interview process.

Your Task
    You are to assume the role of a recently appointed Assistant Principal Officer,
    working in a Government Department in the Civil Service and giving a presentation to
    a group of senior managers in the Civil Service. You are required to research a
    particular topic/objective from the Programme for Government. Your task is to identify
    the relevant issues, summarising and evaluating existing strategy, policy or initiatives
    in this area and setting out 2 key actions that the Civil Service could take in furthering
    this objective.

We were given a list of 4 topics and to choose 1. It was very vague but left opportunity to focus in an an area that you might have experience of or have an interest in. It says don't take more than 3 hours. It took me that length of time just to understand the ask.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JSF223

@senna2804 cheers for posting this update, super helpful. Looks like they've processed about 12 open candidates since your last update on May 20th which is more than I was thinking! Hopefully it's picking up pace! 🙂

• Advertisement

That is really helpful thanks for this I really appreciate it!

Better get to work on my competencies before I get the topics!

Thanks again @PWDUB

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ritournelle

Hi, just by way of update for anyone on open 4.2, there are 5 less ahead of me on the Open panel since this day last week, so hopefully movement will continue

• Registered Users Posts: 32 markyp1988

@Ritournelle are you an open candidate for Dublin? I’m batch 3.3 and was told last week there were 8 ahead of me still for the open and I should be toward the end of that batch!

Post edited by markyp1988 on

Yep for Dublin, so looks like 5 people from Open 3.3 called since Tues 18, so fingers crossed you get word soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Newbie1992

Hi all,

I have recently received my position first time in civil service.

I have my contract and it states 35 hours net or 41 hours 15 gross, can someone explain this as even with including lunch breaks it doesn't add up.

I am not on the clock and want to make sure I am doing all that is expected of me, I keep record of my times daily incase it was ever queried. Currently I am working approx 7 hours a day to get my 35 a week.

This is no doubt a stupid question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Hello,

The 41hr15 assumes that you take 1hr15 lunch every day - which is what people on non-flexi working patterns are supposed to do.

Depending on the PO you have, you may be allowed to take a shorter lunch and finish earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭res1

A lot of the departments have remote working now, depending on which department you get into and your role some have more remote work than others. Whats the worst that could happen by just going for it ? You will lose nothing but your time and the effort. The open competition is for everywhere but you can choose at the start what county you want to be considered for (If I remember correctly you get 2 options). Traditionally and still today a lot of applicants choose Dublin as 1 option because there is a higher chance of being placed as more department offices located in Dublin. But then you can apply for mobility to a department back in the county that you would prefer to be. You can apply for mobility straight away but cannot move department until you have completed 2 years in the role. Mobility can be very slow in some counties where fewer departments are located. I hope that makes sense 🤔. My advice is to just go for it and worry about the rest of the stuff after you might be surprised how things fall into place. But you'll never know it you don't try ……

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gadgetman99

That is list based mobility, it doesn't apply to grades at AP and above. The only way to get a mobility move for AP and above is to apply for individual advertised mobility roles or an internal mobility (if multiple locations/offices in that Gov Department).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Disney2003

3 hours to do a 2 page report and presenation on your area you are not working in……🙄 Fair play to anyone who managed that!.

Any tips from anyone who has completed the report previously on HOW to keep it to 2 pages its seems an impossible task!! TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 21 is that a button

I have no idea if I completed the exercise correctly or not!! But.. when I was drafting the report I did some research first & made brief notes. Then I expanded further on these for the draft. After that it took a lot of editing to get down to 2 pages. For me the editing was the most time-consuming part. I ended up with a report containing a very brief synopsis of each point researched. I expanded a little more on these when I was delivering the presentation, however time flies by quickly. Afterwards, in the questions posed by the panel, I found that they generally took a line or two from my report/presentation each time & asked me questions around it. That gave me further opportunity to provide additional info & (hopefully!) demonstrated I had done more research on the topic outside of what I had presented. . Also have some examples ready on juristictions outside of Ireland where they may experience similar issues, scenarios etc. Be able to compare & contrast between both. Best of Luck to everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tmea

I did. And when they asked me a question I couldn’t answer in the interview I reminded them that he brief said spend three hours and they responded well to that

Hi all, I am nearing the completion of my strategic analysis and I am panicked I have completely gone off track. Can anyone advice me if you took your strategic analysis objective and related it back to your current workplace? For example a topic around lifelong learning? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sweeps McKenzie

Hi,

The strategic analysis exercise is an entirely hypothetical exercise - you are simply meant to do it as a presentation to senior officials in an unspecified department. You are not meant to have an in-depth knowledge of the topic, and nor are you expected to apply it to a specific department, certainly not your own place of work.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 is that a button

Hi. I chose a topic which related to a different area from which I work so I was not in a position to relate it back.

I am also not really in a position to advise you on this as this is my first comp & I do not have enough of knowledge regarding the correct procedures to follow... However I just wanted to mention that the assignment booklet advises taking an impartial approach & therefore suggests not to personalise the activity. Just be careful & ensure you are still abiding by this so that you do not present one-sided personal views in the presentation as I think you could be marked down for that. Just something to be aware of! I hope someone else on here can offer you better & more constructive advice! Best of Luck!

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for your input and you were both absolutely correct - I restarted from scratch!

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Breni

Hi folks,

I finally got my log in sorted I've been following this thread for a while now, I was advised last week that there are 5 ahead of me for the Open Panel Dublin and I'm batch 4. Does anyone know if there has been any more movement? This thread is so handy 😊

Hi so I emailed publicjobs and it seems only 2 people have moved up on the Dublin open panel since I last emailed on the 25/06, so slow enough since

• Registered Users Posts: 31 busher07

Hi All,

I had my interview on 29/06/2024 and I believe they were interviewing up to Friday 05/06/2024 I hope everyone did well.

Do you know is there interviews this week or will the results be out by 21/07/24

TIA

Hi @busher07 I asked at interview when they were finishing up and they said Fri 5th so hopefully we will hear sooner rather than later! Best of luck to everyone it really is a grueling process so well done to us all for getting through it!

Fwiw, with the previous batch of interviews, the last interviews were scheduled for 13 May and I received my results on 21 May so hopefully you will hear in the week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Peyella

Hi just wondering if everyone who has done interviews or are on a panel have to be offered jobs before they open a new competition. This is a very interesting thread and big congratulations to everyone who has gotten through. It seems like a tough and very long path! But it looks very interesting too so I am keen to give it a go myself. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭countyireland12345

No. This 2022 competiton was launched in November 2022 while the 2021 competition panel didn't expire until 31 July 2023 so over 6 months before the panel expired. They will likely launch a new competition before the end of the year. The 2022 panel expires on 31 October 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 civilservant01

just wondering do you think they would extend the panel as it is costs money to get one together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭countyireland12345

I'm not the best person to answer that question, they didn't extend the last two AP panels by the looks of it so my guess is unlikely.

Advertisement