Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you use the radio in you car? I do.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Same here. I love current affairs, news and chat when on the road and only resort to music if there's nothing of interest to me on the radio.

A car with no fm radio? I'd find it difficult. I have Gomo on my phone so data isn't an issue but that's more screens and apps to fiddle around with while driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I never listen to the radio, talk shows were just a bunch of idiots grabbing on with ads seemingly every 30 seconds

I suppose the argument is that the radio stations could just broadcast over the internet and you'd still be able to listen to them (if you even wanted to)

The actual radio technology is pretty ancient, nothing wrong with that but unless there's some kind of technical reason they need to be in the car then it's worth asking why it's there

For example AM radio is apparently used for a lot of traffic emergency broadcasting in the US, so they're basically keep AM alive

In terms of an industry, we've podcasting and music on demand now so it's hard to see where broadcast radio will still fit in

It's also a lot cheaper to produce a podcast than to manage broadcasting equipment, so it's easy to see where the future investment will be

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's very modern but I don't think you are allowed to call them that now. They can have all different genders and you should treat them with respect.

But back on topic. If they do away with radio, the first thing I'll do is ring Joe Duffy to complain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

All cars have radios. Where did you hear otherwise 👀

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There was something of a move by the car manufacturers to get away from radio installations over on my side of the Atlantic, but it's hitting legislative opposition. Radios in cars tend to be the only radios equipped with a power source that most people have, and if the government wants to put emergency messages out in a disaster (hurricane, earthquake, nuclear war etc), the car radio is the way to reach them.

https://www.wired.com/story/am-radio-cars-law-requires/

In the US and Canada we have a subscription based satellite radio. There are some 500 stations available overall, though most car radios are limited to receiving about the first 180. (The others are available through an app). There are several advantages which make it worth the money. Firstly, there are no commercials. Secondly, unless you want to listen to one, there are none of those godawful morning shows. The last time I took a drive around Ireland on a weekday morning, I couldn't find music. I found morning hosts yammering at each other, doing call ins from the public, and generally speaking I'd rather listen to nails on blackboards. Thirdly, as it's satellite based, the stations are available nationwide. If I want to listen to nothing but hair bands while I did my quarterly 900km drive across the West Texas desert, without a single advert, I can do it.

The only time I listened to terrestrial radio in the last two decades in the US was commuting in the San Francisco area. An all-news AM station which ran traffic reports every ten minutes.

If I can ever afford a car that comes with this nonsense as standard the first thing I'm doing to it is deleting it and just replacing it with a simple no nonsense dashboard.

The RSA doesn't do **** about how cars are built

Also learners don't use the radio or satnav, they're supposed to be listening to the instructor 😉

An alternative to disabling the speed and lane warnings is to drive below the speed limit and not change lanes without indicating 😜

FWIW, I do miss some physical buttons in my car, temperature, volume and next song would be enough IMO

Apparently the next set of European NCAP standards will push back on having too many functions controlled via the touchscreen

The issue is the functions that are done via the touchscreen aren't considered essential, you shouldn't mess around with the radio/AC/satnav unless it's safe to do so, regardless of whether they've buttons or not

Pretty certain a lot of the newer BMW's require that centre console to alter settings for the driving modes and maintenance items like oil level check and such and others like Audi and VW are following suit in some of their options. Probably driven by the demand for a Tesla style system but without owning a Tesla.

VW is the same, but those wouldn't be considered essential functions when driving. Things like wipers and indicators are and that seems to be what NCAP are after

I assume this is on the back of Tesla moving functions like wipers to the touchscreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

It was/is so difficult for new operators to enter the radio market here and going by this thread alone FM has a lot of competition, that is what they should be more concerned with.

Yeah this seems like a key fork in the argument

There's a decent case to be made that analog radios should be in cars for emergency broadcasting

However you could just as easily argue that putting them in phones would be more effective for reaching people (also, welcome back headphone jacks 😂)

The other fork to the argument is whether broadcast radio for entertainment has a future. This is a lot more dubious IMO with more creators moving to different methods of reaching their audience there just doesn't seem space for radio

Maybe it'll end up that there'll be a radio network maintained by RTE at taxpayer expense for essential broadcasting and the rest of the stations will die off

Alternatively, maybe ComReg will loosen up licensing and we'll get a bunch of semi pirate stations cropping up, which could be a bit of fun to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I listen to quite a lot of radio be it in the car or using a smart speaker. I’d listen to morning Ireland having breakfast every morning on a smart speaker and listen to a show on local radio in the car on the mornings I drive to the office. I listen to sports shows on various stations in the background all day Saturday and Sunday while working on the farm or around the house (particularly during the premier league season)

Similar to another poster I do tend to listen to audiobooks or podcasts on longer journeys - this is partly as I prefer to listen to talk shows (sport or otherwise) and these aren’t on as much during evening drives especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I listen to Long Wave Radio Atlantic 252

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I would have mostly listened to mp3 in the car but my other half died and he made me all the mixes I can't listen to since, not without windscreen wipers for my eyes so yes radio (lyric fm) is my go to and it is necessary we don't all rely on streaming services, neither do we all possess the means to have subscription services. Radio should always be here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I use the radio and play tapes in my car. I’ve a tape thing aswell that plugs into the ear Jack on a mini disc to play it through the speakers.
    I mostly use the radio though.

• Advertisement

Oh right, yes I wasn't talking about essentials. What I, and I believe the other commenter are talking about is that once they're on their own they'll be distracted by it in a heartbeat, we've all put on a good schoolboy act only to go back to bad habits when unsupervised in one regard or another, and with manufacturers trying to essentially mimic Tesla's centre console the likelihood of distraction is just going to exponentially increase. Touch screens don't belong in cars and any necessary tactile functionality that's moved away from the immediate area around the steering wheel is a potentially disastrous step backwards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, fortunately, the car makers have started to reverse course on the button/ touchscreen issue.

There was an error displaying this embed.

I think the all have fair usage policies except three.

I have a three PAYG SIM in a 5g router as my home broadband and I probably use 2,000 GB a month and never throttled

They probably do, it just isn't always likely to be enacted. Perhaps there isn't as many units in your area. We had one with them as well in Banter area but so did almost everyone else around us and we were all cut off after the fair usage limit. General performance of the network was pretty bad too and likely part of the reason why we were throttled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I very much use radio in the car.

Just returned from south-west England, using Bluetooth/4G was a hit or miss event in the region. In many rural parts there’s just zero mobile data to be had, so no streaming possible for miles on end. Navigation over the Cotswolds had to be done using old fashioned following village to village signposts. We are talking about popular modern England here where their King & Queen live. Up in Scotland similar, but I’d expect that. At least I could tune into local old-fashioned radio. The infrastructure is not good enough except in urbanised or motorway areas to rely entirely on 4G/5G/bluetooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Newstalk most of the time. On the rare occasion it's a topic I'm not interested in, I change to RTE Radio 1, unless Ray D'Arcy is presenting and then it's straight to CD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

To my generation, tranny = transistor radio! You must be of a more recent generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Funny this made me think of an article I read recently about driving in China

The reporter was visiting a convention, the convention organisers sent a car to their hotel and it took something like 30 mins to cover 8km

Keen minds might realise that's pretty slow, but apparently it's a status symbol over there to be driven around by one of the billion or so taxis they have, so driving remains popular despite the traffic

Over there, there's a lot of demand for in car entertainment. Big touchscreens with in car streaming, music and even karaoke systems

On the flip side, the concept of driving dynamics doesn't really compute over there. Doesn't matter if a car is quick or handles well if it just spends it's life in traffic jams

It's one of those things a lot of Western audiences hear and think "wtf???" But I guess it starts to make a bit more sense in context of their driving environment

Anyways, back onto the topic of radio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Now that you mention pays it's probably fair to point out that FM radio is completely free at the point of use.

No licence, no subscription just tune in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They'd probably have gotten more traction with their campaign if they had emphasised the dangers of touchscreen controls that require the driver to take their eyes off the road.

Bring back the old school knobs and buttons please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most cars have MFSW. No eyes were removed from the road to change channels or adjust volume in any modern touch screen Car I’ve had access to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Or a Ford Transit

or if you're into pre-digital photography, a slide (transparency)

So you could have a tranny bring the trannies in their Tranny while listening to the tranny 😉

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

I never use the radio and if they deleted the option on new cars it would make no difference at all to me..

I have about 1200 songs on a flash drive that I plug into every new car I buy. After that I use Spotify, the free version, for music and podcasts. the ones I like, not someone else's choices.

I can stand the odd ad on Spotify but not the constant inane rambling that most radio talk show presenters go on with these days.

I've been driving for 45 years or so and the option to not have to listen to ads and drivel just so I can hear some decent music while I'm travelling is one of the better car improvements in recent years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement